The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 09:41:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 09:41:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: How often do you actively participate in spiritual or religious activities, including but not limited to praying, giving offering, performing rituals, etc.?
Every day
Once or twice a week
A couple times a month
A few times a year
Hardly ever
Never
Other

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Level of Active Religious/Spiritual Participation  (Read 10032 times)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 21, 2008, 07:28:21 pm »

This question came about as a result of a conversation I had recently with a theology student who asked this of me.  He wondered how much other pagans actively engage in religious/spiritual activities.  Of course, that got me wondering about this as well.  Explanations are, as always, are encouraged and welcomed.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 21, 2008, 07:31:59 pm »

Oh yes, I forgot to add... I'm one of the "Every Day" folks.  I start and end each day with a short prayer to my deity.  Other activities happen less frequently, but I can't remember the last time I went through a day without offering up a prayer.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 21, 2008, 07:43:32 pm »

This question came about as a result of a conversation I had recently with a theology student who asked this of me.  He wondered how much other pagans actively engage in religious/spiritual activities.  Of course, that got me wondering about this as well.  Explanations are, as always, are encouraged and welcomed.

Depends on what my schedule is like.  I normally make time for a small ritual at least twice a month and give a small prayer per day.  But if I'm busy, I would actually forget to do anything spiritual or religious.  Not very surprising when I have been known to forget meals when I'm overworked.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 21, 2008, 07:56:04 pm »

Every day.

Mostly little "chatty" things during the day, and always at least lighting my lamp with a short prayer every night.

And lots of reading.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 21, 2008, 08:46:22 pm »

This is very interesing.  I have been consiering this myself recently.  My explainations woud be a few things.  Anything from Daily to Annually.

The reason I say that, is that depending on what I am thinking about (recently quite a bit) my religion I am paying a tribute to it in my own opion.  I do "try" and take time several times a month to say hi to mother nature and her wonders, as well as many other aspects that are more of a personal nature to me.

Quarterly I will at the very least acknowledge the seasons and changes in the air w/in the planet and universe.  Yearly I will try and do the same things.

I have been stagnant within my main practices in the past year and I am trying to rectify this currently, in which brought me back to this board.  Spending some conversational time with other of like mind are very helpful to me and I can consider this part of it.

I just got done playing racquetball and am very tire and starting to ramble on w/ no direct train of thought currently so I will sum it up this way.

I have been a bad Pagan and I am looking to rectify this, so I will say that I am working at it daily now and will try and solidify some of my daily practices once again.

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mindů"
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 21, 2008, 09:25:56 pm »

Daily prayer.  Weekly blog, I try.  other stuff - pretty much never. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: May 21, 2008, 09:26:51 pm »

I'm an 'other'.  I do specific things a few times a year, but I periodically get yanked out by the scruff of the neck for something more solid.  I have a bit of a contentious relationship with my god.  (I'm a polytheist, but only one of my pantheon is 'my' god)  I'm religiously lazy but have no doubts about where I belong.  Old Dog has no problem with me trying to avoid him - he tends to hide when I want something, too.

We work it out, and the voluntary rituals really are voluntary, and something I look forward to.  They're rare enough that they stay fresh and special to me.  I know daily or weekly devotions don't lose their meaning for everyone, but for me they do.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 22, 2008, 01:15:27 am »

I I'm religiously lazy but have no doubts about where I belong. 

Absent

heh. Love it. that's me too.  I also put other, b/c it varies so much from day to day. I have periods of very high energy, lots of magical work happening, spirit activity, all kinds of everything, and then dormant stretches. I am running a lot of earth power right now, which is a nice change for me, but feels quite a bit different from all the air and fire I was doing last year. But that's a good thing. I am very sensitive to the changes of the seasons, and respond to them as I see fit. I have been learning about tantra and other more organized systems, like hinduism and judaism and wicca. I am not bound to any of them, but some of those deities have called me, and they like things done a certain way, so I am trying to get more disciplined in my approach.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Aisling
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 22, 2008, 01:51:29 am »

Old Dog has no problem with me trying to avoid him - he tends to hide when I want something, too.

Smiley I have that relationship with a deity who is more or less my secondary patron.  He and I spend more time avoiding each other than actually accomplishing anything meaningful.

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 22, 2008, 02:25:40 am »

Active working? Couple fo tiems a month

I try fo rweekly meditation and chats but miss far to often.

Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 22, 2008, 04:52:37 am »

Active working? Couple fo tiems a month

I try fo rweekly meditation and chats but miss far to often.

I've only been managing something a couple of times a month, but I read and think about things on a daily basis, does that count? I'm trying to get more active and consistent, but it's a struggle sometimes!

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 22, 2008, 06:57:16 am »

I'm "a few times a year" for right now.  I try to make it to Sabbat celebrations when I can, but right now I've really been re-evaluating my path and trying to find what it is I'm looking for.  Once I find something and/or have more time to focus on such things, this number will go up.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 22, 2008, 07:30:42 am »

Daily:
Morning devotionals (which take between 2-10 minutes most of the time, depending on what I'm doing)
Participation in online religious-related discussion
Use of music/playlists and other things in my environment (small shrines) to keep my attention on particular areas of focus

A few times a week:
Work on religious projects (reading, taking notes, writing things up, etc.)

Weekly:
Specific meditation work.

Not quite weekly:
Coven get-togethers: either ritual or discussion right now.

On a schedule, but more complicated:
Esbats and Sabbats.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 22, 2008, 08:30:28 am »

Daily: prayers (short) at the start of each day and right before I go to bed. I've never been able to keep up anything else, really.

Weekly: Flamekeeping. It's not quite every week, but since I'm in three cills, it usually averages out to one shift per week. Again, I've tried but never have been able to keep up any other kind of weekly practice. Included in this practice is updating my blog(s) every shift.

Sporadic: spirit journeying, ogam divination, essays for blog, reading religious books, articles, taking notes etc. Reading happens more frequently than anything else, just because, well, I like to read.  Wink

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 22, 2008, 02:35:32 pm »

I only answered for the times I physically get off my bottom and DO something, since actual physical practice has always been difficult for me.  If I'd included mental activity like studying then my answer would be every day.

I used to do devotionals and offerings daily, but it got to feel pretty hollow.  So now I do so a couple times a week when I can spend more "quality time."  I'm hoping to get back up to a daily routine.

Public group rituals several times a year.  Family ritual at random times when we feel it's needed.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.