The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 22, 2018, 04:22:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 04:22:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do you feel your parents were satisfied with their religion?
Yes, they appeared to be - 8 (17.8%)
Reasonably so, they didn't complain about it - 2 (4.4%)
My parents were not outwardly religious enough to really draw a conclusion - 6 (13.3%)
No they disagreed with at least a portion of their faiths tenets - 3 (6.7%)
No, they were outwardly religious in socially religious situations.  The belief system did not carry over into home life - 2 (4.4%)
No for other reasons - 2 (4.4%)
yes for other reasons - 5 (11.1%)
My parents were not religious - 5 (11.1%)
and that ever present other for other reasons - 12 (26.7%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you feel your parents were satisfied with their religion?  (Read 8101 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 22, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Do you feel your parents were satisfied with their religion?

I'll elaborate more later!  I'm late and must run quickly.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 22, 2008, 09:47:21 am »

I'm an "Other", because my parents were split on this.  My mother is very content and happy with her religious beliefs. My father was not satisfied with the religion he was raised in and was seeking to find another path most of his adult life.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 22, 2008, 10:20:57 am »

My parents were satisified with their religion, and lived by it's tenents.  What they didn't do much was ritual observance. 
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 22, 2008, 10:22:21 am »

They seemed to be.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 22, 2008, 10:33:56 am »

I will have to say "other".  My mother is religious, my father is religious but only when my mom's family was around or we were living there.  He belives in Christian ways but doesn't believe he has to practice every Sunday.

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mindů"
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 22, 2008, 10:37:57 am »

My parents are Devout Mormon and absolutely convinced they are living the one and only true religion in the world.

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 22, 2008, 11:46:41 am »

btw - my parents divorced when I was 5.

My father (lLutheran) was not much of a church goer, but feels that there should be prayer in schools and such.  He seems content with hi birth religion.

My mother (raised Catholic) is now pagan.  Xtianity was never really her cuppa tea.  Unfortunately, since my mother sees the world through rose colored galsses most of the time, she pretty fluffy (and not just about religion).
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 22, 2008, 12:06:43 pm »

I have to go with other, because my family religious history? Really complicated.

Father's parents (and grandparents, etc.): Church of England as far back as we know. They're fairly straight-forward.

Mother's parents: my grandfather on that side was from a highly assimilated Jewish family in Vienna (and assimilated to the point that my grandfather sang in the choir school that provided music to the emperor's chapel, which was, of course, Catholic.) My grandmother's family were Catholic, way back.

Mom grew up as a refugee from Hitler, in northern Ireland, and was raised more or less Catholic.

My father converted from Church of England to Catholic to marry my mother. They had 2 kids in 2 years (pre-Vatican II), felt they couldn't go against the church's teachings on birth control (which were *way* more stringent then, even the rhythm method was discouraged), as well as some other issues. They became Episcopalian, and were actively involved in parish life. (My father travelled a lot, including at least 1-2 weekends a month, so he wasn't in choir, but he did do various other things. Mom was on the Vestry, taught Sunday School, etc.)

Around the time I was 11, they were unhappy with how things in our local Episcopal parish and diocese were going (an avoidance of moral and social issues, and a tendency in at least our area to treat it as a social club with excellent music, rather than a religious and spiritual experience) and they looked at going back to the Catholic Church. We all went through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults training and process, and I went through confirmation with my age peers a few years later.

My father died the year before I was confirmed, but was a very serious Catholic in a fairly private sort of way up to the end. Mom is still extremely active in that same Catholic parish - she's a eucharistic minister, does hospital visits and other related lay ministry stuff, regularly goes on retreats and does further education on religious topics, and has done a serious pilgrimage (the walking pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella, though she did it in 3 doses, rather than all at once.)

They were both very serious about morality issues, and did a lot to live by it (they had a reputation in my father's university for being the people in his department to go to if you were struggling with something.)

My sister's married to a church musician (and is very active in her choir and church community in general), and my brother and his family are part of a local church community as well. But the general tendency with my family is that we're really actively involved in our religious life (my brother's something of an exception, but the rest of us all put it at high priority.)

That said, all of us are thinking people about it: none of us has tended to buy into a religion wholesale without argument or disagreement: while we've had multiple shifts in what actual religious community we're associated with, it's been because what we feel religiously and spiritually called towards is not always in tune with the larger organisational movements. (i.e. I don't think Mom's actual religious values have shifted much in her adult life, but the way different denominations handle some things has, and she's adapted as those major changes occured.)

The one tendency we all seem to have, too, is a preference for a certain amount of 'high church' ritual. Not necessarily all the time, but we all appreciate the structure of well-done formal ritual.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
rebelleink
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 25, 2009, 02:00:53 am

Religion: earthy

My path is dirt. And I walk barefoot.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 22, 2008, 12:26:42 pm »

Dad's VERY Catholic (and not really happy unless he's miserable, so I guess that works out for him)
Mom converted when her and Dad married, but she's gone wandering off. Now I suppose she's fairly agnostic. Won't got to church with Dad, and is scared of 'that Occult thing' that I've gotten myself involved with. Blegh.
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 22, 2008, 12:27:45 pm »

No, I don't think they ever found a place of spiritual comfort to dwell within.

My mother was an atheist, but she succumbed to that 'no atheists in foxholes' syndrome whenever too much shit hit the fan.  Then later, regaining control of her life, she felt guilty over the intellectual lapse.

My father was raised Presbyterian, but never went to church.  Later in his 30's he decided he liked Mormonism, but would not/could not give up tea, coffee, smokes, and booze so he never joined.  I think the rather racist tendencies and the family control issues of the LDS was all that attracted him.  He never really lived by the ideals of any faith, but had an ethical code of sorts outside of religious considerations.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 22, 2008, 12:44:33 pm »

Ubiquitous other, here. My parents were never outwardly religious, so for most of my life I couldn't have answered this question; over the years, though, I've learned why they were quiet on the subject and their personal feelings on it.

My father was raised Methodist in the Midwest; he had a lot of problems with it as he grew older due to his particular church's behavior. The story he always tells me is how a man was driving across country and came to his town on Saturday night, and decided to go to church on Sunday instead of continuing driving, because Sunday was a day of rest. He went to the church to worship but they turned him away because he wasn't dressed in his "Sunday best" (ie no tie). My father was deeply bothered by this, and it essentially turned him away from the faith, especially Methodism. He agreed with my mother, based on his childhood experiences with organized religion, that I wouldn't be baptized and could chose my own path. After my parents divorced, he remained in Maryland (my mother and I relocated to Connecticut) so I didn't see him much, since he was in the military (not a lot of leave) and he never seemed comfortable answering my questions about his belief. At this point he doesn't believe in much; he calls himself agnostic. I think he'd probably be better described as a non-denominational Christian.

My mother was raised Roman Catholic in the North-East; she had less problems with the actual church and more with her family's behavior towards it. My grandmother is an astonishingly hypocritical woman, and in my mother's youth my grandfather was an abusive alcoholic. She had a lot of trouble with forgiveness, something she hasn't really ever come to terms with, and the idea of a God that thought this was okay. She agreed with my dad, based on her childhood experiences as well, not to baptize me. She enforced this after she remarried, despite my stepfamily's issues with it. She didn't really feel comfortable talking about her own beliefs because she wanted me to form my own, and since she had such a dysfunctional relationship with Christianity, she never talked about it. She still sets out a manger on Christmas, though I don't know if that is from habit or faith, and she said once that if she would ever return to Christianity, she'd probably become a Jehovah's Witness if it weren't for the door-to-door stuff and the lack of birthday celebrations. She had a lot of positive experiences with a co-worker who was a Jehovah's Witness. She doesn't classify herself as a Christian, nor agnostic. She just kind of is, and has been for a long time.

My step-father was raised Roman Catholic in the North-East as well; his parents were originally Eastern Orthodox at some point before he was born, but whole-heartedly embraced Catholic guilt. He hasn't talked about his childhood experiences much, at least as far as religion goes, but his two younger sisters waited until marriage to have sex because they apparently thought that God would punish them by hurting their family if they didn't. I would assume his experiences were probably similar. By the time he married my mother, he had stopped attending church and described himself as an atheist, but was very disturbed by the fact that my mother had no intention of raising me in the church because I wouldn't learn how to be moral and good if I wasn't. His opinion mellowed over the years, as I grew to be a perfectly decent human being without church, though he never tried to stop my grandmother's attempts to convert me despite my mother's protests. We've had one on one discussions about God and religion a few times over the past few years; I'd describe him as a Catholic with a lot of guilt and a lot of anger at God for the way the world is. To the best of my knowledge he alternately considers himself agnostic or atheist, depending on how pessimistic he's feeling that day.

I wouldn't say that my parents were ever particularly satisfied with their religion, but at the same time none of them ever searched to find something that fit them better.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 22, 2008, 01:23:18 pm »

They are both very strong Christians, non-denominational technically, but they attend an Evangelical-Free church. No, that doesn't mean they are "evangelical free" like any workplace would be "accident free"; they have a strong missionary/evangelical bent.

My dad was raised Catholic (his family remains nominally Catholic), and my mom was raised nominally Christian, and rediscovered her faith in her early twenties.

They both seem very happy, and are involved in several programs at church that give them a great community and support system: my dad does Habitat for Humanity, my mom has traveled to Romania for several mission/education camps and both attend Bible studies.

I'm proud of them in their faith--they are strong and happy, and it has certainly gotten them through a lot of rough patches together, particularly with regards to their marriage.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 22, 2008, 02:46:53 pm »

My father was an atheist as far as I could tell.  He died when I was 12, but I don't remember him ever doing or saying anything remotely religious.

My mother seems quite satisfied with her faith.  She is Christian, of no particular denomination.  She doesn't attend church or really talk about religion very often (though as she has gotten older, I've noticed god pop up in her conversation more frequently.)  She tried to live by the moral codes of Christianity and trusts that this will be enough for her god.  She seems pretty happy with the plan.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: May 22, 2008, 07:57:24 pm »

Other, because it depends on what point in their lives you're looking at, and I don't have the full story even for the potentially-dissatisfied times.  To the best of my knowledge, both of my parents did some religious exploration in their younger years.  In Dad's case, that meant leaving his Christian (specifically Baptist) upbringing behind entirely.  I'm not certain how he'd refer to himself these days (I'm not sure he's certain either).  I think Mom's explorations were closer to home, done more within Christianity, searching for the right church/denomination for her.  In the end, she stayed with Lutheranism, although when we moved away from the town she grew up in (and thus from her parents' church) she did choose to go with the more liberal ELCA brand of Lutheranism rather than the conservative Missouri Synod Lutheranism she'd grown up in.

Both of them seem pretty content with where they're at now, to me, and have for as long as I've been aware of such things.  Mom was threatening to leave her church at one point, but that was over church politics rather than actual religious issues.  In earlier days?  I don't know; I would guess that Dad's explorations stemmed from a dissatisfaction with the church, based on his personality and what I know of the denomination he grew up in, but I don't really know anything about Mom's, whether she was dissatisfied or just wanted to know what else was out there.  And heck, for all I know Dad was just browsing around for the heck of it too and happened to decide that something else (however undefined) suited him better.  *shrug*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
sunkissed
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2014, 08:05:55 pm

Religion: Eccentric Neo-Pagan Dirt-Worshipper

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 22, 2008, 08:21:09 pm »

I had to vote other simply because my parents never had similar religious views. I'd need a separate poll for both of them.

My mother is a Christian and very happy with her religion.

My father was raised Catholic and entered the seminary as a young man intending to become a priest. But apparently some of the priests at the seminary were involved in some deeply unethical things and the hypocrisy totally destroyed my father's faith. He left the seminary and has been distrustful of all organized religion ever since. I'm not sure exactly what the behavior he witnessed was but it was bad enough the leave a bitter taste in his mouth even now,  forty years later. He still doesn't like the church. He has nothing against religious people. He just doesn't trust the organizations.

Sunkissed

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)