The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 08:26:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 08:26:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a Fairy Haven  (Read 3025 times)
Herne
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 03, 2013, 10:23:36 pm
United States United States

Religion: Undecided

Vagabond and Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 22, 2008, 09:43:04 pm »

I would like to create a place in my backyard which will be very inviting to the good folk. Can anyone offer any suggestions about the sorts of things I should include (or not include) in this haven? What sort of plants should I use (or not use)? Are there things they find offensive or enticing (bird feeders/bird baths, yard ornaments, etc)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.

Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.

"Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing."
Little Elf Judy from The Santa Clause (1994)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rebelleink
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 25, 2009, 02:00:53 am

Religion: earthy

My path is dirt. And I walk barefoot.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 23, 2008, 11:24:34 am »

I would like to create a place in my backyard which will be very inviting to the good folk

My son and I are doing this for the first time this spring. Ours is mostly ediable. We have a small offering alter in the center. So far, it's strawberries, rasberries, a rose, and (my son's favorite) a dandilion patch. I don't know if there are do's and don'ts. We stick with what feels right.

The only thing I have heard is not to bring clippings inside casually, as the fae can come with them and cause havoc when you aren't expecting it.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 23, 2008, 08:42:57 pm »

I would like to create a place in my backyard which will be very inviting to the good folk. Can anyone offer any suggestions about the sorts of things I should include (or not include) in this haven? What sort of plants should I use (or not use)? Are there things they find offensive or enticing (bird feeders/bird baths, yard ornaments, etc)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll bite...   Grin

Depends on your location. 

I would look

Here (Gardenweb - awesome site, highly recommended! Very informative) and see what you reigon is, and what does well in your area and how to care for it.  Then perhaps make your selections based upon your associations for what you feel might naturally be living on or near you, and attracted to the spirit of your space.

When in Pa. we had a garden that was very 'fey'  It was a large oval, with a few random trees (naturally there long before we were) on the borders breaking up the edges.  We had ferns seeded from wild in a blobulous clump around a pink dogwood in the center, Pa bush mountain laurel was in a couple random patches as well. 

Lilac and pussywillows grew well there, and were in other places in the yard.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:44:26 pm by RandallS, Reason: URL BBcode fixed » Logged

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Hotaru Ryu
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 16, 2009, 02:17:34 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

A poison pen is the best revenge.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 05, 2009, 03:03:39 am »

I'll bite...   Grin

Depends on your location. 

I would look

Here (Gardenweb - awesome site, highly recommended! Very informative) and see what you reigon is, and what does well in your area and how to care for it.  Then perhaps make your selections based upon your associations for what you feel might naturally be living on or near you, and attracted to the spirit of your space.

When in Pa. we had a garden that was very 'fey'  It was a large oval, with a few random trees (naturally there long before we were) on the borders breaking up the edges.  We had ferns seeded from wild in a blobulous clump around a pink dogwood in the center, Pa bush mountain laurel was in a couple random patches as well. 

Lilac and pussywillows grew well there, and were in other places in the yard.

I used this website that you suggested; I really liked it.  I too want to grow a garden that the fae may find attractive and homey.  My wish was to plant foxglove, but my mother wont seem to let me.  I am going to keep looking into it though. :]

So, Lilac attract the fae? I also heard that St. John's Wart attracts them too. Im trying to grow some of that too, but I get the feeling it wont take in my garden somehow. :[
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

« Reply #4: August 05, 2009, 07:41:52 pm »

I used this website that you suggested; I really liked it. 

Just a side note: Mandi hasn't been on TC for a while, so you probably won't get a response from her.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)