The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 07, 2021, 04:30:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 07, 2021, 04:30:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Invasion Cycle as a creation myth?  (Read 8408 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #15: May 25, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »

Yes, I've got it clearly in my notes that "The Dictionary of Irish Folklore" by Peter Beresford Ellis says Aibell is male and "The Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology" by James Mackillop says Aibell's female.

If you find any more sources for Aibell can you please point me towards them?  I need to clear up Aibell's gender and most books don't give Aibell a look in.

I think that's most likely because it's a variant spelling; I can find it readily on the web, but in the few books I've referenced it's the third or fourth name.

As far as Ellis' notation, Sean Fogarty says that he lists Aibell as female; I don't own the book myself, so I can't reference it. Perhaps it was an error corrected in a later edition, or a conflation of two separate entities with a similar Anglicized names? I can't be sure, obviously. But if you're looking for Aibell, fairy queen and banshee, then she's female.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 25, 2008, 02:09:45 pm »

I think that's most likely because it's a variant spelling; I can find it readily on the web, but in the few books I've referenced it's the third or fourth name.

It sounds like I'm reading different books to you: recently I'm getting through The Lebor Gabala Erenn and have read Proinsias Mac Cana's "Celtic Mythology" and Alwyn Rees and Brinley Rees' "Celtic Heritage", none of which mention Aibell, Aoibhell, Aebill or any variant - the Oxford book gives nine different spellings.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #17: May 25, 2008, 02:13:04 pm »

It sounds like I'm reading different books to you: recently I'm getting through The Lebor Gabala Erenn and have read Proinsias Mac Cana's "Celtic Mythology" and Alwyn Rees and Brinley Rees' "Celtic Heritage", none of which mention Aibell, Aoibhell, Aebill or any variant - the Oxford book gives nine different spellings.

You're going to find her in later myth and some poetry; all references to her that I've come across have been as a fairy queen or a Queen of the TDD (as fairies, not as gods). Also as a banshee, related to Cliodhna. There's a connection to CuChulainn and a harp, too, but I can't recall the details that well.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Seren
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 25, 2008, 02:25:43 pm »

He's certainly a folklorist, and he states in the volume I mentioned that most of his stories are his own work, pieced together from years of hearing fireside stories from his family.

He is, though, a respected scholar in the CR community (and outside of it). He is always clear to note what is his and what is from a verifiable source. Do you recall which work cited Aibell as a male? I'm curious to do my own research.

Beresford Ellis isn't all that. He's not bad, but he's not good either, and there are some notable mistakes in some of his work, date-wise for one. He writes for a popular audience rather than an academic one, so he takes a few more liberties as such. It's notable that none of his books, as far as I can recall, are actually recommended on the CR FAQ.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 26, 2008, 01:15:09 pm »

It's notable that none of his books, as far as I can recall, are actually recommended on the CR FAQ.

I'd recommend his folklore, especially as he's one of the few authors that when he says "Celtic" he means Cornish, Breton, Manx and Scottish stories, whereas a lot of authors stick to Welsh and Irish with a few Scottish ones thrown in.

But I've got a question marks over a few things he's written in non-folklore books, but further reading will prove whether he is or isn't right.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 26, 2008, 01:17:31 pm »

You're going to find her in later myth and some poetry; all references to her that I've come across have been as a fairy queen or a Queen of the TDD (as fairies, not as gods). Also as a banshee, related to Cliodhna. There's a connection to CuChulainn and a harp, too, but I can't recall the details that well.

Thanks for that.  I've not heard the Cuculainn story, but there are many stories about him and I've reached my saturation point and need to take a break.
happy
Apprentice
Last Login:November 19, 2010, 12:59:29 pm

Religion: still searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 14, 2008, 12:05:44 am »

I agree that the Invasion Cycle is a Creation myth. I think that the Tuatha de Danaan arriving in Ireland,defeating the Fir Bolg and Fomorians and shaping the land is similar to Zeus overthrowing the Titans;who were also representatives of chaotic,uncivilised natures and the Greek gods were said to have introduced order,harmony,civilisation etc. Well,i think this is what the Tuatha de Danaan have done. I think the coming of the Milesians could represent the coming of Christianity and the devaluing of the Gods in to fairies/Aes Sidhe and similar lowly beings. The Milesians talking with Eriu could mean using the land and this plane of existence and forgetting the world of the Gods through disbelief(through the devaluation in to lower beings) and dismissal/a feeling of superiority and not needing the Gods(in their opinion) anymore. 
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 14, 2008, 05:29:22 am »

Another thought: these questions beget the question who created the creator? I think at some point in a creation myth, there has to be an acknowledgment of unexplained or incomprehensible existence; perhaps it's just a little further into the creation myth for the Celts than for other cultures.

The creator can be asserted as both necessary and sufficient for it's own existence. It exists because that's what it does so to speak.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)