The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 21, 2021, 09:15:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2021, 09:15:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How secret is your craft name?  (Read 15758 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: June 02, 2008, 05:51:48 pm »

I know this isn't exactly what is being talked about here, but it is the way I see true names.

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean, but I'm thinking on it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 02, 2008, 06:38:11 pm »

I don't, not in the sense of a magical name.  "Star" is not my legal name, but it's not a "magical" name either.  It's just a nickname that someone gave me in high school (or what survives of that nickname, anyhow) that happened to stick.  Some Pagans have magical names, for a lot of different reasons, and some don't.

I also don't.  I've never felt the need for it. Dragonsoup is obviously not my real name but other than being one I use a lot online has no real meaning. I would have registered under my actual name but it was already taken.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 02, 2008, 07:31:41 pm »

:is completely mystified:

I don't run very fast, but I'm a hell of marksman.  I just don't know whether I should be throwing cookies or bricks here. Cheesy

Treebeard, the Ent:
"For I am not going to tell you my name, not yet at any rate." A queer half-knowing, half-humorous look came with a green flicker into his eyes. "For one thing it would take a long while: my name is growing all the time, and I've lived a very long, long time; so my name is like story. Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say."

From Tolkien's The Two Towers

And cookies would be preferred, if you don't mind. Please? Cheesy

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #33: June 02, 2008, 08:09:09 pm »

Treebeard, the Ent:
From Tolkien's The Two Towers

And cookies would be preferred, if you don't mind. Please? Cheesy

Oh, I like that!

Shameful as it is to admit, I got halfway through 'The Hobbit' in grade school and abandoned Tolkien for MZB.

Cookies it is.  Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jabberwocky
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2018, 01:03:39 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Post-Chaote

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: June 08, 2008, 11:15:23 am »

The thought occurs to me, though, that in fact I think hiding a name is what gives it such power.  I don't think names hold half as much power if you're fairly free with their use.  When you make it special, when you tie it to those to whom you would voluntarily make yourself vulnerable and no one else, that's when it takes on such a significance that it could be used against you.  Kind of like...  a knife is just a knife until you make it sacred and give it a special importance that makes it an athame.  A name is just a word until you make it significant.
I think it depends on what the purpose of having more then one name is for the individual.

Personally, I actually have a sizeable number of names, both online and off it.  They're more then simple names for me though.  I use them to experiment with different personas and different aspects of my personality.  So while they're all me, they're still very distinct.  It's similar to the fact that the 'me' my friends see is very different then the 'me' my grandmother sees, but neither is truer then the other.

I've been experimenting with this for some time now and I've got some useful things out of it.  In particular, I sometimes find that problems are easier to solve if I can work out the correct persona to bring to the fore.

Possibly this is a modern version of the use of masks to achieve a similar purpose.

People who talk about revolution and class struggle without referring explicitly to everyday life, without understanding what is subversive about love and what is positive in the refusal of constraints, such people have a corpse in their mouth.
(Raoul Vaneigem)
Wintermoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 09:43:26 pm

Religion: spiritual atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 12, 2008, 08:36:50 pm »

I suppose I have four names. Everyone I know uses my legal name, but I don't feel like it encompasses all of me. I created a name years ago that is an anagram of my legal name. The first name of the anagram is Vivian. I use it online and if I ever published as an author as I'd love to, I'd use this name. A few people know it, though none use it in conversation. It's very close to my heart anyways, and it would be the name I used at public ritual (still searching...).

I recently took Wintermoon as a screename, and expect to use it from now on, as it feels like it fits. And the last, what I would call my magical name, I haven't found yet. I feel like it's there, and I just haven't discovered enough about my spiritual self to know it yet, but I'm confident I'll learn it eventually.

~Vivian

You can't take the sky from me.

"I get really distracted by works of fiction. Probably because you don't have to make any decisions." ~my sister

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~Mark Twain
Estrella
Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2009, 11:05:53 pm

Religion: Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: June 13, 2008, 09:48:54 pm »

For the first time, I'm working with a circle of people to learn and to celebrate. As I've been solo for years, I find myself in a weird position when it comes to my craft name. I've NEVER shared it with anyone, believing that there is power in a name. Now, however, it is expected that I share my craft name during rituals and workings, which I suppose makes sense.

Now, I know that there are a dozen different names that a person can have - legal name, public craft name, private craft name, working name, etc. - but I have no idea which name is best used in which realms of my life. Obviously, my legal name is used in my regular, mundane life, but what about craft names? What is commonly used where? How does one protect one's craft name while still using it with others to do work?

I don't really know if I would call it a "craft name" as more as an in between name.  I'm still so new to this, but I wanted something to make it separate from every day.  "Estrella" just means of the stars and I've always been fascinated by space and everything that is above me, and I have the God and Goddess to thank for it.  I just figured it was fitting for what I needed.  I'm open to change it or add another as time goes on. 

Ever changing, ever learning.
Estrella
Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2009, 11:05:53 pm

Religion: Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: June 13, 2008, 09:54:25 pm »

Disclaimer:  I am very tired right now and haven't given too much thought to what follows.  It may be nonsense.

The thought occurs to me, though, that in fact I think hiding a name is what gives it such power.  I don't think names hold half as much power if you're fairly free with their use.  When you make it special, when you tie it to those to whom you would voluntarily make yourself vulnerable and no one else, that's when it takes on such a significance that it could be used against you.  Kind of like...  a knife is just a knife until you make it sacred and give it a special importance that makes it an athame.  A name is just a word until you make it significant.

Did that just make any sense at all?

I think this makes a lot of sense.  From what I'm gathering, a craft name can be very personal, so it is important to the person.  I know for me, important items, ideas, and people, have more meaning in my life (Kind of obvious, I know) because the are important.  It's like a never ending circle.  Point is, thinking about a craft name as powerful makes it powerful which makes it even more important...Ok, Now I'm think I don't make any sense.

Ever changing, ever learning.
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #38: June 14, 2008, 02:00:32 am »

I simplify things by not having a craft name.

I have one name, one screenname, and a nickname.  Also, I suppose there's my True Name, but I have no idea what my True Name is and I'd rather not know.  If I don't it makes it a lot harder for anyone else to.  Having read Absent's comment, what she said makes sense, but I haven't ever knowingly spoken so much as a syllable of my True Name, and I'm uncertain that I ever will, even if I discover it.

My name is Timothy.  For internet security purposes, I'm not telling you the rest of that name.

Screenname is Jorgath.

Nickname is Tim.

At pagan gatherings, I'm Tim.  And I don't give out my last name.  I don't see the need for a craft name.  To me, "Tim" is who I am, and I am who I am.  I see no need to be someone else for some other purpose unless I'm consciously doing it for a good reason, and the few times I've done it I've always been sure to reincorporate the person I became into "Tim."  In some ways, I feel that establishing a craft name would take something away from "Tim," because it takes away an opportunity for "Tim" to do those things instead of "Vladimir RavenFang" (silliest I could think of when tired), and I'd rather that my experiences belong to the same name when possible.  It becomes less confusing like that.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Stormchild
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 29, 2008, 11:45:58 am

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 15, 2008, 03:42:18 pm »

My name is generally known. I took a name that describes who I am, Stormchild. I am the son of the storm, wether rain storm or thunder storm or a true storm. I can be kind and gentle, like the cool rain falling upon your upturned cheeks. I can be mad but just make a ot of noise and a big scene, like the storm where all you hear is thunder and don't have to deal with the lightning. Or I can be a cruel destructive force but my rage is shortlived, because everyone knows the most powerful storms never last very long.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #40: June 15, 2008, 04:43:45 pm »

For the first time, I'm working with a circle of people to learn and to celebrate. As I've been solo for years, I find myself in a weird position when it comes to my craft name. I've NEVER shared it with anyone, believing that there is power in a name. Now, however, it is expected that I share my craft name during rituals and workings, which I suppose makes sense.

Now, I know that there are a dozen different names that a person can have - legal name, public craft name, private craft name, working name, etc. - but I have no idea which name is best used in which realms of my life. Obviously, my legal name is used in my regular, mundane life, but what about craft names? What is commonly used where? How does one protect one's craft name while still using it with others to do work?

I go by mandi for all rights and purposes, but at times my deities I feel call me other things, they are more terms of endearment than anything else.  Little bird, feather head, etc etc.  I will often use these when speaking to, praying, invoking, interacting with deity, but I would no sooner tell others about most of them than I would tell them what my 10th grade sweetheart named his male parts. 

There is also a somewhat dubious concept of a calender name in the Aztec path (and people who have been around to hear me babble, laugh amongst yourselves) it hasn't really been debunked or agreed upon as being concrete history, but my calendar name is Deaths Deer.  The day of Deer, the un-month of death, in the year of Rabbit, self sacrifice and the ability to regenerate to do it again,  Tochtli Miquiztli Mazatl; so occasionally I will refer to myself as Mazatli when relating to Aztec deities as a form of demonstrating my willingness to make sacrifice.  Tonans Mazatli.  The one who sacrifices to Tonan.

I used to go by Seichi, but that was an extension of my dance name (seichimat) rather than a 'craft name' deliberately.  It served to differentiate who knew me from where, but I've simplified as the years have gone by and now keep strange variations under my hat, for between me and gawds and when dealing with people I'm just plain ol me.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #41: June 15, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

but my calendar name is Deaths Deer.

It's funny how that pinged when I read it.  I know nothing about the Aztecs or their calendar apart from what I run across on the net, and I think I might break the roof of my mouth trying to pronounce the full version you wrote out, but it somehow feels appropriate to the couple of years e-quaintance I have with you.

A 'surface' ping, but a ping nonetheless.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Stormchild
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 29, 2008, 11:45:58 am

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: June 15, 2008, 05:29:44 pm »

I've shared bits of my 'true name' with people.  A 25-yr syllable here, a 10-yr one there, a 46-yr syllable with maybe four people on earth.  My entire true name can't be known yet, however, for the simple reason that I haven't finished saying it.

I know this isn't exactly what is being talked about here, but it is the way I see true names.  It doesn't mean that it would take somebody else 67 years to say my mother's, or 80 years to say my fathers.  Things do collapse and telescope, and repeated syllables can be said as one.  Somebody who wanted to use either of those names for power (or my own, such as it is so far) would have to be very very good, very exact, and very concise to actually be able to do anything useful with it.

That's one of the reasons why, in my little universe, it's so hard to call back the dead - you have to know their whole name.

Absent

Wow, that is awesome. How would it work though? Would your name be words that describe sections of your life or syllables that sound like a feeling or what?
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #43: June 15, 2008, 05:58:23 pm »

Wow, that is awesome. How would it work though? Would your name be words that describe sections of your life or syllables that sound like a feeling or what?

I don't think spoken syllables would do it, unless maybe they were nonsense syllables imbued with concepts, repeating themes, history, quirks, etc., with the actual reality of it held in the mind of the speaker.

In essence, my true name is the full reality of me, which is why I haven't finished 'saying' it while I live.  In a seance one calls out the public name of a person, but relies on the one(s) at the table who actually knew the person to supply the reality of them.  I don't think this kind of thing really works very often, although you do occasionally get a very talented medium, or a seeker with deep enough knowledge of the person, or a spirit that 'wants' to come.

Saying one's own name is living one's own life, thinking one's own thoughts, feeling one's own joys, traumas, noble and ignoble impulses.  Sharing the syllables of that name can take minutes for some syllables and decades for others.

Saying someone else's name means knowing that person without illusion or projection, expectation or dismissal.  And while it doesn't take as long to say someone else's name as it does to say one's own (given, as I said above, repeated themes, collapsed time references, and telescoped concepts) it is very hard to get it right, even for people you love.

And also, like I said above, it's not the kind of name being discussed here, really.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #44: June 15, 2008, 07:11:06 pm »

It's funny how that pinged when I read it.  I know nothing about the Aztecs or their calendar apart from what I run across on the net, and I think I might break the roof of my mouth trying to pronounce the full version you wrote out, but it somehow feels appropriate to the couple of years e-quaintance I have with you.

A 'surface' ping, but a ping nonetheless.

Absent

Tochtli Miquiztli Mazatl

Toach't-lee Mee kweetz lee Mazz aht 'uhl

I'd Hate to have to shout that one off the back porch.
lol. 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)