The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 21, 2021, 11:19:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2021, 11:19:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How secret is your craft name?  (Read 15761 times)
alexbettencourt
Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2008, 11:12:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Out-there pagan, member of Asphodel.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 18, 2008, 02:22:06 pm »

Obviously, my legal name is used in my regular, mundane life, but what about craft names?

I don't have a craft name. For me, I am a whole person and I don't feel the need to splinter off various parts ith various labels/names.

if it's a matter of safety [in terms of folks being outed for their association with a pagan community], it's been my experience that craft names don't protect you.

if it's a matter of the gods knowing your name, well...I figure unless they're naming me, they're gonna holler out the easiest thing--so I use the name I come with.

if it's a matter of using a name for magical workings, I haven't experienced any stronger or weaker results using my regular ol' name.

"We cannot long for something that is not intimately close to us." J. Neuner

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #46: June 18, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »

I don't have a craft name. For me, I am a whole person and I don't feel the need to splinter off various parts ith various labels/names.

I don't know how it is for somebody else, but my name is not splintering a part of me off.
I am called .... (my legal name) but I am Tana.

This is how I feel about it. It does not splinter off, it makes me whole.
And I don't see a reason why I should not be allowed to choose a name for myself.
After all I wasn't much involved when Mum choose the legal one Wink

If you identify wholeheartedly with your name - that's great.
I just never had that feeling with mine. (Oh and btw I don't see Tana as a craft name - it's just my other name.)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: June 18, 2008, 04:20:25 pm »

My two names (the ones that I chose for myself, I am not counting my legal name here as at this point it only exists on paper) don't really refer to different parts of me. They each refer to the entirety of me but from, umm... different perspectives. It's kinda hard to explain. Fae is me from the perspective of those who know me. Kasmira is me from my own perspective. I have never spoken "Kasmira" aloud to another person or shared it with anyone in any other way except of course on TC. TC seems to opperate in a odd in between place, so many of my realisations about myself have happened here and so much of my growth has been fostered here that Kasmira just sort of seems like the right name to use.

But back to the original point, I don't feel that this "splinters" at all. It's really very hard to explain.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #48: June 18, 2008, 04:25:41 pm »

But back to the original point, I don't feel that this "splinters" at all. It's really very hard to explain.

I don't know if we are on the same track here Smiley but I've even experienced that I needed a name for a certain time, like to incoporate a part of me, which is the opposite to splinter off I guess. Don't think I could explain it, but it happened this way.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: June 18, 2008, 05:01:09 pm »

I don't know if we are on the same track here Smiley but I've even experienced that I needed a name for a certain time, like to incoporate a part of me, which is the opposite to splinter off I guess. Don't think I could explain it, but it happened this way.

That makes sense to me.  Using the name Ariana is an acknowledgment of me as a whole person, and of my path as a whole.

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 18, 2008, 05:36:48 pm »

Sort of, I suppose. Except that I do not find that either of my names leave out parts that need to be "incorporated" by the other name. Rather, both names refer to the entirety of me, but under different lights. Sort of like a tree is still a tree whether you see it under sunlight or moonlight, that doesn't mean that you get the same experience of 'tree'. Does this make sense?

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 18, 2008, 07:28:54 pm »

For me, I am a whole person and I don't feel the need to splinter off various parts ith various labels/names.

I used to feel that the whole 'craeft name' thing was shopping out various parts of your identity, your magical self separate from your mundane self. 

What I've come to feel is that different people call me by different names.  Mom, Mandi, Hon - I don't see the names I work with under deity as being much different than that.  When I am called by one name, I don't see it as other facets of myself are not included on the invitation.  They will always be there by default.  Nowhere else for them to go.  Whether someone calls me kiddo, or Babe, I'm still Mom, still Mandi.  I just get to wear different hats on occasion.  I don't really see some of the names I answer to when in a worshipful mode as being any different than someone saying pass the salt hon. 

Theres an old dude at my grocery store that calls me Sam.  I answer to that too. 

Cool

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Redhound666
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2008, 04:18:07 pm

Religion: Tell You When I Have Found It ;)

The Master of the Elements Lives Forever

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 18, 2008, 08:03:28 pm »

Now, I know that there are a dozen different names that a person can have - legal name, public craft name, private craft name, working name, etc. - but I have no idea which name is best used in which realms of my life. Obviously, my legal name is used in my regular, mundane life, but what about craft names? What is commonly used where? How does one protect one's craft name while still using it with others to do work?

Sorry, Im late to this post but,

I have three names. My mundane name (and it's nickname), my public craft name, and my private craft name that only my coven mates will know and will never be spoken outside of the circle. I regard my private name like a tool that gets me into the mindset I need in circle. But I know people who have 5 or 6 different craft names and others who have only one. I think if you want to protect your craft name, you should either give it to trusted people who won't tell everyone within earshot or just have a different name that means the same thing and use one for yourself and the other for people. Like for example, my name on here is Red Hound and my real craft name means the same thing. Even my public craft name means the same thing. But it's your choice.

I use my public craft name, Kitsune, for almost everything. If I were going to a large festival I would use it there. All of the pagans in my area know me by that name.

Please help my dragons grow!
CrescentMoon
Apprentice
Last Login:August 05, 2008, 12:20:56 pm

Religion: Pagan Solitaire

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 21, 2008, 11:55:48 am »

For the first time, I'm working with a circle of people to learn and to celebrate. As I've been solo for years, I find myself in a weird position when it comes to my craft name. I've NEVER shared it with anyone, believing that there is power in a name. Now, however, it is expected that I share my craft name during rituals and workings, which I suppose makes sense.

Now, I know that there are a dozen different names that a person can have - legal name, public craft name, private craft name, working name, etc. - but I have no idea which name is best used in which realms of my life. Obviously, my legal name is used in my regular, mundane life, but what about craft names? What is commonly used where? How does one protect one's craft name while still using it with others to do work?

I am a Solitaire, so I can't help you with sharing your Craft Name with others during Ritual.
I use the name Crescent Moon Star, usually Crescent Moon, at many places. It's not really my Craft name, tho.  Since I was a child, the name Victoria came to me, and has stayed in my mind and heart. I am in the process of doing some research on it. Seems Victoria is the Roman version of NIKE.  hmmmm (off to do more research!!)

But, I still haven't found my craft name as of yet.  I want to be absolutely sure about it first.

RavynG
Apprentice
Last Login:July 22, 2008, 01:24:16 pm

Religion: Strega trained w/ Goetic and Chaotic leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: June 23, 2008, 01:26:36 pm »

How does one protect one's craft name while still using it with others to do work?

I have one name that was given me by my mother-Ravyn. It is guarded so I do not worry about power issues. (Ravens can always fly away at the first sign of trouble--we transcend.)

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
RavynG
JenniferK
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:35:27 am

Religion: Paganism

Just hangin' in there!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: June 25, 2008, 10:32:55 am »

For the first time, I'm working with a circle of people to learn and to celebrate. As I've been solo for years, I find myself in a weird position when it comes to my craft name. I've NEVER shared it with anyone, believing that there is power in a name. Now, however, it is expected that I share my craft name during rituals and workings, which I suppose makes sense.

To be honest, I have always used my legal name, Jennifer Adele (minus the last name), as my working/magickal/craft/energy name. But, I am not Wiccan or a Witch.... so I am not sure if protocol is different in those arenas. I am simply Pagan... so I have never really taken another name under which to commune or work with the Divine.

I agree that names do have power though.

I think whether or not to share any name is a very personal decision. you would have to decide how comfortable you are.

Blessings!

Jennifer Adele K

Jennifer Adele K
dethas
Apprentice
Last Login:October 01, 2008, 10:45:20 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: June 26, 2008, 08:55:18 am »

what about craft names? What is commonly used where? How does one protect one's craft name while still using it with others to do work?

My craft name is given here - dethas.
I have my legal name obviously, which goes down on paper.
I have various nicknames from various people, and I answer to all of them.
My craft name is known to my husband and girlfriend, my deities, those I choose to share it with and myself. Being a solitary practitioner, this suits me down to the ground.
When I join Pagan communities, I use my craft name.
The main reason I am so open about it is when I was blessed with it - I was just so excited, I couldn't hold it in.
You see, it wasn't given to me by any human but was directly given to me by Hades. It's part of the beautiful relationship I have with him.
Another reason I'm so open is this - I asked if I could be lol. I'd never have shared my craft name if I hadn't asked permission.

As regards protecting it - what's to protect? It's a name, not me. It's just a tag that Hades and Hecate use to identify me. If I came to them under the label of 'sheepshank' they'd know it was me. It's my essence that connects to them, not the tag. I fully expect at some time my craft name may change and I'm fine with that. I'm not here to question my deities decisions!
Ligeia
Apprentice
Last Login:August 29, 2008, 07:56:11 pm

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: June 27, 2008, 01:42:58 am »

I use Ligeia as my public craft name. The one I post online with and what not. However I picked a second part to my name which is to be kept private so that my Magical name the one used in my ceremonies and rites is kept my secret. No one hears the whole package.

“No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly.” - Oscar Wilde

Drinking without being thirsty and making love at any time, Madame, are the only things that distinguish us from other animals.  ~Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais, The Marriage of Figaro, 1784, translated
Shadowbody
Apprentice
Last Login:December 24, 2009, 08:19:41 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: June 27, 2008, 12:44:09 pm »

I can't always remember my craft name.  In fact, I have a hard time remembering it.  I've been sitting here for almost half an hour trying to remember what it is.  On the other hand, I can visualize the rune that makes up my craft name very easily, even when I can't remember what it means.  I use the rune for all my crafting (I even have it tattooed on my back) and only the orginal members of a coven that has long since dissolved know what it is.  I'm not even sure they remember what it is.
JenniferK
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:35:27 am

Religion: Paganism

Just hangin' in there!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: June 27, 2008, 08:38:58 pm »

On the other hand, I can visualize the rune that makes up my craft name very easily, even when I can't remember what it means.  I use the rune for all my crafting (I even have it tattooed on my back).

That is so awesome that you have it tattooed on you!  Smiley

Jennifer Adele K

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)