The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 18, 2021, 06:07:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2021, 06:07:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the point?  (Read 4693 times)
Hannibal
Journeyman
Last Login:March 02, 2010, 01:58:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 27, 2008, 01:00:12 pm »

Over the weekend my history died in an acidental drowning off south padre island. Cry Cry Cry I only found out this morning so my mind isn't very clear but. It really got me thinking about the point in living when life can be taken so easily. I guess i'm just looking for someone to help me through I don't know its just kinda tough to really see much good in the world right now.

-Hannibal

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."-Emiliano Zapata Salazar. Translation-It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
 ego mos reperio a via vel ego mos planto unus Translation-I will find a way or I will make one
http://dragcave.net/user/Hannibal

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 27, 2008, 01:17:52 pm »

Hannibal,
I am very sorry to hear of your loss.  I had a friend drown when I was in middle school and it was very hard.  I hope that you have someone to lean against and that over time you will feel better.

I have been thinking along the same lines as you this weekend after hearing about the unexpected death of an acquaintance of my boyfriends.   She was a young woman, probably 26, who went home from work Thursday thinking she had the flu.  Friday morning she wasn't feeling better so she went to urgent care; they took her straight to the hospital.  It turns out she had a blood-borne virus and became septic.  She passed away Friday night.  She leaves behind her husband and 2 year old son.

Being the same age as her I just can't imagine going home from work thinking I had the flu and then dying the next day.  It's a very sobering experience thinking about your own mortality and I feel horrible for her husband and son.  There is not much sense to make of it. 

All I can do is look at my own loved ones and love them as much as I can each day.  Because you never know how much time you have.  Cry

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 27, 2008, 02:10:10 pm »

Over the weekend my history died in an acidental drowning off south padre island. Cry Cry Cry I only found out this morning so my mind isn't very clear but. It really got me thinking about the point in living when life can be taken so easily. I guess i'm just looking for someone to help me through I don't know its just kinda tough to really see much good in the world right now.

(((hugs)))

It's never easy to lose someone you know.  If you believe in an afterlife, try to take comfort in that knowledge.   Again, hugs to you and all who are affected by his (her?) passing.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and your friend in my prayers to Isis.

I have been thinking along the same lines as you this weekend after hearing about the unexpected death of an acquaintance of my boyfriends.   She was a young woman, probably 26, who went home from work Thursday thinking she had the flu.  Friday morning she wasn't feeling better so she went to urgent care; they took her straight to the hospital.  It turns out she had a blood-borne virus and became septic.  She passed away Friday night.  She leaves behind her husband and 2 year old son.

Hugs to you as well, Fierfly, and to the family of your boyfriend's acquaintance.  They're  in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 27, 2008, 03:15:57 pm »

Over the weekend my history died in an acidental drowning off south padre island. Cry Cry Cry I don't know its just kinda tough to really see much good in the world right now.

-Hannibal

Of course it is tough.  Don't let anyone blow sunshine up your skirt about it---things like this are rotten.  But even if the game is lousy, and possibly rigged, it IS the only game, so we are all stuck hoping to win.  I am so sorry you are hurting and stricken with grief.

Maybe Jung had it right: "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." 

I hate to admit, I don't recall the context of that quotation, but I think where he may have been going is this: most people think animals don't anticipate or worry about death as we do.  But humans know, with a certainty, and it makes us suffer loss and fear our own demise like no other creature.  But because of that, we are capable, in that dread anticipation of doing things of incredible beauty, generosity, and "light" that enhance so much more than our individual lives. 

And this is why, when someone beloved and wonderful dies, we are encouraged to focus not only on the loss, but on what she or he achieved in having lived in the first place.  Let your "light" be brighter now, in the absence of your friend's extinguished sparkle.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 27, 2008, 04:34:32 pm »

Don't know what to say for consolation, but you can have a hug if you like. (((((Hannibal)))))

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
sunkissed
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2014, 08:05:55 pm

Religion: Eccentric Neo-Pagan Dirt-Worshipper

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 27, 2008, 05:20:17 pm »

t really got me thinking about the point in living when life can be taken so easily.

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. Give yourself time to grieve and take extra special care of yourself.

As for the feelings you're having, they're completely natural. For me, the fact that life can be taken away so easily is exactly the point of living. We only get a short amount of time to spend on this little planet. If we're lucky we get to spend it with people we truly care about and that makes every moment precious. Of course, it also makes it hurt like hell when we lose one of those people.

Sunkissed
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 27, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »

(((((Hannibal)))))
dyke-witch56
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 01:31:16 pm

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 09, 2008, 10:32:15 am »

-Hannibal

(((((((Hannibal)))))))

Loosing someone you love is never easy, whether its a sudden death, or after long illness. Whether they are young or old. I'm in my 50's and have been loosing loved ones since the age of 5, including a little playmate.

Having said that... the fact that they lived at all does matter. The impact they had on me-both their living and dying-has shaped me in the person I am now. And I like to think in good ways.

Leigh

Cassius23
Apprentice
Last Login:February 02, 2010, 09:18:15 am

Religion: Buddhist(Mahayana)

Do better today than yesterday.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 24, 2008, 09:45:23 am »

-Hannibal

Please remember to be kind to yourself.  And when you aren't, please remember to forgive yourself.

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous...

He reads much;
He is a great observer and he looks
Quite through the deeds of men: he loves no plays,
As thou dost, Antony; he hears no music;
Seldom he smiles, and smiles in such a sort
As if he mock'd himself and scorn'd his spirit
That could be moved to smile at any thing.
Such men as he be never at heart's ease
Whiles they behold a greater than themselves,
And therefore are they very dangerous.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)