The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 08, 2020, 10:53:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 10:53:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Core Concepts  (Read 14691 times)
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 23, 2007, 05:46:17 am »

I can't help you with the Zep Tepi but, according to Geraldine Pinch's "Egyptian Mythology", Nun is the "...personification of the primeval ocean from which all life came." It continues to surround the world and is considered the oldest and father of the gods.

Thanks ... when I see "Zep Tepi" I keep imagining ZZ Top, and I know that's not right.  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 23, 2007, 07:12:26 am »

Wow. That's what I'm going to use from now on.

I can't help you with the Zep Tepi but, according to Geraldine Pinch's "Egyptian Mythology", Nun is the "...personification of the primeval ocean from which all life came." It continues to surround the world and is considered the oldest and father of the gods.

psst: when you quote, can you please use the quote function on the post you're replying to, and not just the bb code?  that way we can track which message you're replying TO.  thanks.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: April 23, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

Zep Tepi translates as "The First Time".

The moment of creation: the first speaking of the names, the first light of the sun, the instant upon the benben from which everything Unfolds.

Restoring contact with this moment is the purpose of ritual: maintaining and upholding the perfection of creation is a part of the essence of ma'at.  We cannot lose access to Zep Tepi, because that we are here now is proof that creation happened, it is implicit.

Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 24, 2007, 11:40:43 pm »

psst: when you quote, can you please use the quote function on the post you're replying to, and not just the bb code?  that way we can track which message you're replying TO.  thanks.

Oops! Sorry.
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 25, 2007, 02:12:49 am »

Zep Tepi translates as "The First Time".

The moment of creation: the first speaking of the names, the first light of the sun, the instant upon the benben from which everything Unfolds.

Restoring contact with this moment is the purpose of ritual: maintaining and upholding the perfection of creation is a part of the essence of ma'at.  We cannot lose access to Zep Tepi, because that we are here now is proof that creation happened, it is implicit.

Ah, I see.
SharonTut
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 27, 2010, 01:40:31 am

Religion: Independent Kemetic/Buddhist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 19, 2007, 05:11:06 pm »

Isfet is the Ancient Egyptian term for it.  Apophis is the Greek term for it.  It is uncreation. 

...Umm, not to be a stickler here, but, doesn't isfet more closely translate to the opposite
of Ma'at--chaos, disorder, and wrong? For example, in the papyrus of Ani under the 42 Negative
Confessions, the first one Ani says is (transliterating as best I can thru web code):

"Ii, Usekh, per em Unnu, nen iri-i isfet." translated as--

"Hail, Strider, Coming Forth from Unnu (Heliopolis), I have done no wrong."

How can someone *do* "uncreation"? That's another interpretation that's always bothered me.

--Tut
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 19, 2007, 05:32:08 pm »

How can someone *do* "uncreation"? That's another interpretation that's always bothered me.

Not Kemetic, but what immediately sprung to mind is: correct action is upholding ma'at, it is maintaining creation, right? So incorrect action is destroying ma'at, and undoing creation- therefore it is uncreation. Just my $.02.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 19, 2007, 06:45:10 pm »

How can someone *do* creation? 

Ra (insert creator/creatrix here) sprung forth from Nun (potentiality of creation/chaos etc, stuff life is made of and not made of etc).  That is the primal act of creation and upholding it (doing ma'at) stops creation from returning to that void where there is no creation and therefore everything is unmade. 

I liked Juni's answer. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 20, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

--Tut

Not Kemetic, but what immediately sprung to mind is: correct action is upholding ma'at, it is maintaining creation, right? So incorrect action is destroying ma'at, and undoing creation- therefore it is uncreation. Just my $.02.

How can someone *do* creation? 

Ra (insert creator/creatrix here) sprung forth from Nun (potentiality of creation/chaos etc, stuff life is made of and not made of etc).  That is the primal act of creation and upholding it (doing ma'at) stops creation from returning to that void where there is no creation and therefore everything is unmade. 
I liked Juni's answer. 

I have a slightly different interpretation involving Neith who is both a creator and a void - "I am what was, is and will always be."

Everything was, is, and will be created, uncreated, created, uncreated....for eternity.
Magpie
Apprentice
Last Login:January 30, 2011, 03:50:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 19, 2007, 02:26:09 pm »

What are the core concepts that Kemeticism is based on?
These are the ones I can think of so far:

Ma'at: the world is well made and orderly, and requires maintenance.
heka: language is the means by which the world is created and maintained.
Ka: the world and all things in it have a spiritual existence.
netjer: the divine nature of the universe expresses itself as many individual Names.
-snip-

I like this idea. I've been trying to come up with a generic list of terms which are important in Kemetic religion with definitions, so what I'll do is just solidify what's already been said into a list and then add some of my own.

Ma'at: "the world is well made and orderly, and requires maintenance" (sefiru); Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, Truth begets truth, lies beget lies (Magpie)

Heka: "language is the means by which the world is created and maintained" (sefiru); as such, words have great power and should be used carefully and not turned against ourselves or others (Magpie)

Ka: "the world and all things in it have a spiritual existence" (sefiru); Literally, the ka is the most psychologically present part of the human soul (Magpie)

Ba: the unconscious part of the human soul, the most eternal and lasting part of the 7 parts (Magpie)

Netjer: "the divine nature of the universe expresses itself as many individual Names" (sefiru)

Isfet: Evil, untruth, uncreation as carried out by Ap*p, the Uncreated, in the course of attempting to throw Ma'at off Her balance and unmake Creation (Magpie)

Djet: Linear time, expressed in such things as the progression of years (2006, 2007, 2008, etc) or ages (18,19, 20, etc), and so forth. Time that does not repeat (Magpie)

Neheh: Time that is cyclical, such as seasons and months; the kind of time that renews itself, symbolically renewing Creation as well (Magpie)

The Nun: "[...] according to Geraldine Pinch's "Egyptian Mythology", Nun is the "...personification of the primeval ocean from which all life came." It continues to surround the world and is considered the oldest and father of the gods." (Adoratrix)

Zep Tepi: "Zep Tepi translates as "The First Time".

Restoring contact with this moment is the purpose of ritual: maintaining and upholding the perfection of creation is a part of the essence of ma'at.  We cannot lose access to Zep Tepi, because that we are here now is proof that creation happened, it is implicit." (Darkhawk); A symbol of Zep Tepi is the sunrise, and it can be said that every sunrise is a kind of mini-Zep Tepi, renewing the world and everything in it, giving everyone a clean slate (Magpie)

-----

I think it''d be neat to come up with a list of the various definitions of different Kemetics of this. It's nice to converse with an open minded group of folks on the subject and get different perspectives; if you have something to add or something to one of the terms on the list, please do! Smiley This could be exciting.

"The gods care not if you rage and thrash your breast. They hear not words but thoughts. They speak not to ears. Be silent then and let them speak to the god within. Be quieter still and let the will speak through you."
Awakening Osiris - Normandi Ellis

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)