The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 17, 2018, 10:50:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 10:50:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding Peace?  (Read 8917 times)
Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 28, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

One of the things that years ago attracted me to paganism ( I think thats a real word lol ) is that everyone that I had met that claimed to be Pagan had a real sense of peace about them. Not the butterflies and bunnies kind of peace but a calm that was almost soothing to be around. Very attractive to someone that has spent most their life pissed off at everything LOL.

So my question to you all is - has your faith/practice/belief brought that kind of peace into your life?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:25:19 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject made a question » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 28, 2008, 01:09:16 pm »

So my question to you all is - has your faith/practice/belief brought that kind of peace into your life?

I'm not religious or anything...but I've found peace in atheism.  Does that count? Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm
United States United States

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 28, 2008, 01:17:37 pm »

Like most things, there is for me no clear yes or no.  Yes, in that I was finally able to dismiss so much of the contradictory bull that comes out of the whole omni-god system of thought.  No, in that there is always so much to be pissed off about STILL and working against.
Oddly, the best characterization of my continual stand on "peace" in this lifetime comes from a Catholic bumper sticker from the final parish of my attempted Christian life:

"Find Justice, Find Peace."

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 28, 2008, 01:24:07 pm »

I'm not religious or anything...but I've found peace in atheism.  Does that count? Smiley

Can't see why not. Peace is peace.

rebelleink
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 25, 2009, 02:00:53 am

Religion: earthy

My path is dirt. And I walk barefoot.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 28, 2008, 01:42:29 pm »

Peace is something I have searched for myself with little sucess, in Paganism or elsewhere. I often drag a lot of baggage with me, and therefore peace for myself is hard to come by. Paganism has more potential than other paths I have walked. Time will tell. In the meantime, i wish Peace and Joy to you all.
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 28, 2008, 02:17:36 pm »

One of the things that years ago attracted me to paganism ( I think thats a real word lol ) is that everyone that I had met that claimed to be Pagan had a real sense of peace about them. Not the butterflies and bunnies kind of peace but a calm that was almost soothing to be around. Very attractive to someone that has spent most their life pissed off at everything LOL.

Well maybe. I have a short fuse at times and get very stressed but I have definitely mellowed. Whether that is the effect of paganism or just maturity who knows?

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: May 28, 2008, 02:26:30 pm »

I hate to burst the bubble, but I think you've just been lucky in your interactions.  Pagans (of all stripes) can be just as neurotic and hysterical as anyone else.  Wink  The initial stages of conversion can be particularly unsettling emotionally, depending on the person and their background and all that, but some people just are that way regardless.

I don't think so, not on a general basis.  I get my moments of serenity here and there, but I wouldn't say that my religion has made me peaceful.

That said, I do think that I feel more comfortable where I'm at now than I would have if I had stayed with Christianity, simply because I'm in a belief structure that fits and not one that's chafing all over the place.  I think that the experience of having to find my own way has, in some ways, made me more confident, a quality which has spread to other areas of my life as well.  (I have a long way to go in that area religiously, as I still tend to think of myself as an utter Hellenic n00b and doubt my own information and opinions, but I've got a good start in other ways.)  I think it has nudged me toward behaviour that makes me more comfortable with myself than I have been previously.  Early on in my journey I had some experiences which pushed me to actively make progress on healing old wounds that had been a problem for me for a long time.  (The confidence boost is in part a result of that as well.)

All of those things have maybe contributed to making my life better and less turbulent in some ways.  However, I still wouldn't say that my faith has made my life more peaceful.  It's made improvements.  It hasn't solved all of my emotional problems and made me super-stable.  It's given me a hand up and some tools to work with, and that's about it.

Which, really, is enough for me.  *shrug*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: May 28, 2008, 02:28:59 pm »

Well maybe. I have a short fuse at times and get very stressed but I have definitely mellowed. Whether that is the effect of paganism or just maturity who knows?

That's a good point, too.  I'm pretty sure in my case that religious factors accounted for some of it, but this also has all happened over a period of time in my life (early 20's, for the most dramatic changes) where people do tend to do some serious maturing.  How much of it is religious and how much is maturity, and how much the maturity influences the religious stuff and vice versa, is hard to say.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 28, 2008, 02:31:23 pm »

This is something that I have been thinking about recently.  I will have to say that it is more of a calm then a peace.  I have a bad attitude from time to time..... to time... to time.. Smiley  but I will say that I have been able to overcome more of my feelings, ranting, and other items through my wanderings.  It has made probably one of the most significant changes in my life and has led me to the person I am today.  I do and will continue to strive for more but peace is something that I really can't use as a term.

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mind…"
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 28, 2008, 03:30:42 pm »

I used to find peace through Nature, particularly beside a lake or water in general.  I haven't been peaceful much lately, due to crazy family and work situations.  Peace really isn't about the absence of the craziness, but being peaceful despite it. Kinda like courage, I suppose.  Courage isn't the absence of fear, but instead doing what needs to be done despite being afraid.   

*Síocháin*
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 28, 2008, 03:34:24 pm »

Well, I'm still as stressy as I always was, but because of my religious path I have a better way of dealing with it than I did before.  Wink

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 28, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »

I used to find peace through Nature

I'm also a big fan of peace through music.  I have an entire playlist dedicated to peaceful songs Grin

*Síocháin*
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 28, 2008, 03:39:15 pm »

Interesting concept.  I suppose that I view peace as a physical concept then anything.  With nature I feel more calmness then anything.  I can draw on it and it would make feel more at ease.  <Shrugs>  guess it's all semantics.

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mind…"
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 28, 2008, 03:56:35 pm »

Interesting concept.  

It's like this...all the craziness, all the crap, all these things will never really go away.  That's just Life, but the goal is to be peaceful in all situations.  Doesn't mean it's gonna happen, lol.

Kind of a Zen approach or Buddhist (I think! I'm probably wrong) ideal--to just let things happen, instead of reacting or forcing anything.

*Síocháin*
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 28, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »

I'm still an aries with quite a temper, but accepting that I'm not mainstream religious and that I'm open to Paganism although people might ridicule it has given me a lot of peace with myself I didn't have when I claimed to be an atheist. Smiley (Nothing against atheism, the problem was that I wanted to be something I wasn't.)

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)