The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 28, 2021, 04:33:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 28, 2021, 04:33:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Weak spot - human sacrifice  (Read 6801 times)
Wonderbug
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 22, 2010, 10:42:06 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (0)

flowers.in.snow

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 29, 2008, 05:08:41 pm »

I was defending the Aztecs for having a much higher standard of hygiene than Spaniards on a different forum, and reasoned that this was due to them not being ashamed of their body, like the psycho religious folk were.
Someone's reply was simply this: "Is that why they were into human sacrifice?" It's like that question cuts straight to the bone. I'm both angry at the question and at a loss of how to reply, because I've no idea why they performed human sacrifice.

Can someone please explain why human sacrifice was so important?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: May 29, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »

*scratches head*
Sorry, somehow I don't get the connection here?
What was the one saying 'Is that why...' refering to?

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Cosima
Apprentice
Last Login:October 04, 2010, 02:11:23 pm

Religion: Lazy Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 29, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »

I can, but the author of this blog does it much better: http://tlacochcalli.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/why-sacrifice/

I hope that helps a little! Smiley
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 29, 2008, 05:32:28 pm »

It's a somewhat controversial topic, but its undeniable that sacrifice was an important theme in Mesoamerican cultures. In some legends, it is the gods that sacrifice themselves so that the people live and the idea that ongoing sacrifice sustains the universe - this religious reciprocity, bloody as it was, was considered to be an essential and sacred obligation.

That's why it was so important.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: May 29, 2008, 05:33:57 pm »

I'm confused.  What does better hygiene have to do with human sacrifice?

Or were you arguing that the Aztecs were better people than the 'psycho religious folk' you mention, rather than just cleaner?  And was that the term you actually used to refer to them?

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: May 29, 2008, 06:46:16 pm »

Someone's reply was simply this: "Is that why they were into human sacrifice?" It's like that question cuts straight to the bone. I'm both angry at the question and at a loss of how to reply, because I've no idea why they performed human sacrifice.

I must be missing something here too--largely what everyone else has already said, but I'll add:  Why does this cut straight to the bone?  Why does this hurt you?  I'm confused at the outrage over a question about religious history.  And although it might have been in a nonsensical context with perhaps rude overtones, it's a valid question, IMO; I think it can be hard for us now to comprehend why human sacrifice might once have been considered appropriate, especially if one has not (as I presume this person hadn't) been exposed to that sort of idea in any context outside of ooky-spooky-weird-scary before.  "Why" is a perfectly understandable question.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Hannah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2012, 03:43:34 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan (learning)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 29, 2008, 07:32:02 pm »

I was defending the Aztecs for having a much higher standard of hygiene than Spaniards on a different forum, and reasoned that this was due to them not being ashamed of their body, like the psycho religious folk were.

The Aztecs sacrificed human blood to the hungry sun god, who told them when to be at war, at peace, when to celebrate, when to sacrifice, etc. Aztec leaders were actually very crafty in the way that they kept track of the sun's movements and used it as a way to pull the strings. For example, they would tell the people, "If the sun shines here, then such-and-such should be done". Therefore it made manipulating the civilization all-too-easy for those who studied the sun's patterns.. hence why the religious leaders were THE leaders.

I don't know... from what I interpreted of it, it was less about the body itself, and more about the blood and the heart. It needed to be sacrificed because it was VALUABLE. It wasn't just because they wanted to throw it out for no reason.. the body was sacred, and therefore perfect for sacrifices.

Like one, that on a lonely road     
     Doth walk in fear and dread,    
And having once turn'd round, walks on    
     And turns no more his head:    
Because he knows, a frightful fiend    
     Doth close behind him tread.

-"Rime of the Ancient Mariner," Samuel Taylor Coleridge
merrua
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 06, 2010, 11:53:37 am
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: irish pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 30, 2008, 04:38:49 am »

They were perform human sacrifice because they were in a period of long famine and getting desperate. They thought the sun god was angry and them and were trying to appease him. Or at least thats what I have heard from the latest archologist studies. Its not something that they can be really blames for, they were desperate and not really sure what to do.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 30, 2008, 10:23:43 am »

That's a really thin reed to attach better hygenie for the Aztecs to as opposed to the Spainairds.  Do you have any proof beyond that?

I'm not even sure that you can prove that the Aztecs were less ashamed of their bodies. 

I think I can safely say that the European Jews and Muslims were just as body modest as the Spainairds, but both the Jews and Muslims had (and still do) a requirement of washing before prayers, ie fairly reqularly. 

sunkissed
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2014, 08:05:55 pm

Religion: Eccentric Neo-Pagan Dirt-Worshipper

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 30, 2008, 12:46:57 pm »

like the psycho religious folk were

Psycho religious folk? What makes the religious beliefs of the Spanish more "psycho" than the religious beliefs of the Aztecs?

Sunkissed
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 30, 2008, 01:04:22 pm »

Psycho religious folk? What makes the religious beliefs of the Spanish more "psycho" than the religious beliefs of the Aztecs?

That was my first thought.  Technically, the beliefs of the Aztecs were just as "psycho" as the Spanish if you're basing it on killing someone in the name of a god.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 30, 2008, 01:39:20 pm »

They were perform human sacrifice because they were in a period of long famine and getting desperate. They thought the sun god was angry and them and were trying to appease him. Or at least thats what I have heard from the latest archologist studies. Its not something that they can be really blames for, they were desperate and not really sure what to do.

Could you post a link to that set of studies? I'd not heard that one before, and I'd be interested to read up on it. I just wonder how common this theory is amongst archaeologists...any idea?

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 30, 2008, 01:47:24 pm »

Could you post a link to that set of studies? I'd not heard that one before, and I'd be interested to read up on it. I just wonder how common this theory is amongst archaeologists...any idea?

That sounds like Harner's theory (drought/famine --> sacrifice/cannibalism). Here's a refutation:

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/aztecs/montellano.htm
9mm
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 03, 2008, 08:12:39 am

Religion: AzTeC ReCoN.

keepin' it trill

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 01, 2008, 09:37:50 pm »

It needed to be sacrificed because it was VALUABLE. It wasn't just because they wanted to throw it out for no reason.. the body was sacred, and therefore perfect for sacrifices.

Yes, the body was sacred. To the Aztecs a person had three essences, the tonalli (head), the teyolia (heart) and the ihiyotl (liver). The tonalli was what governed their fate and the hair of the individual held the essence of the person’s tonalli essentially its energy which is why decapitation after the original sacrifice the heart was also sometimes practiced and why heads where put on a tzompantli (skull rack). The teyolia was where the soul was which is why the sacrifice of the heart was so important and highly regarded because essentially you were offering a person’s soul to the Gods. The ihiyotl was the seat (if you will) of an individual’s primitive reactions.

The concept of sacrifice in general was very important in the Aztec religion, for several reasons. As the article another member posted all of the Gods sacrificed something during the creation and thus sacrificing to the Gods in return showed devotion and it was believed that it help ‘fuel’ and empower the Gods. As said above the Aztec believed that the vessel of the soul (teyolia) was the heart and thus sacrificing an individual’s heart was like offering up a soul it was the most one could give to the Gods. Not only that but blood was said to contain a special essence called, chalchihuatl, which was considered nourishment for the Gods, which is also why auto-sacrifices were practiced among the Aztecs as well. Sacrifice was called nextlaoaliztli or “the giving of that which is right,” which again goes back to the idea that if the Gods sacrificed themselves on our behalf then it was only suitable that we sacrifice to them to nourish and empower them while simultaneously showing our gratitude and devotion to them. That is why it was so important.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:40:19 pm by 9mm » Logged

"Help control the pet population: Teach your dog abstinence."-Stephen Colbert.
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 02, 2008, 12:50:20 am »

AFAweK, people all over the world perform the religious rites that they have been taught will please their gods.  Not all the blood sacrifices that the Aztecs, Mayans and Incas (and their neighbors) conducted involved killing humans, either: there was one rite, Mayan I think, in which the king took the dried barb off a sting ray and ran it through his tongue and/or his penis, using it to thread a fairly thick cord (think manila clothesline) through his flesh.  The bloodied cord was offered on the altar afterward.

The people believed:  the Spaniards documented people standing in long lines for hours in order to be sacrificed.  They were feeding their gods as their gods required.

What that has to do with civil sanitation or private personal hygiene I can't imagine...

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)