The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 10:17:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 10:17:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding and Circles and such.  (Read 8783 times)
Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 02, 2008, 02:42:01 pm »

Please forgive my newbiness on this but I have some questions.

Some time ago I performed a healing ritual. I thought I had grounded myself well with breathing and focus beforehand but ended up basically in shock afterwards. There was a point where I could feel the energy of EVERY thing around me. I always do all my rituals outside so it was quite the flow LOL. I  based what I did on a natural ability that I seem to have always had and it was the first time I had used it in a ritual sense.

My questions are these. I obviously did not ground myself well enough so any suggestions on that would be great. I have done all my grounding by instinct for the most part so I am an open book. So where did I go wrong?

Circles. From most of what I have read creating a circle for a ritual is a Wiccan thing, not that I am saying Wiccans are bad - just that I am not a Wiccan. Are circles that important to ritual and how does one go about creating a circle when you are not Wiccan. That may sound hopelessly dumb - but all the info I have found on them is Wiccan.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 02, 2008, 04:03:11 pm »

Please forgive my newbiness on this but I have some questions.

Some time ago I performed a healing ritual. I thought I had grounded myself well with breathing and focus beforehand but ended up basically in shock afterwards. There was a point where I could feel the energy of EVERY thing around me. I always do all my rituals outside so it was quite the flow LOL. I  based what I did on a natural ability that I seem to have always had and it was the first time I had used it in a ritual sense.

My questions are these. I obviously did not ground myself well enough so any suggestions on that would be great. I have done all my grounding by instinct for the most part so I am an open book. So where did I go wrong?

What is your instinct on this? Do you have a specific visualization that you use, or is it just a feeling or intuition? One of the most important things I learned about grounding from my own shorting out experiences was to make sure I am very firmly anchored to something. That could be my visualization of a golden cord to the center of the earth, or a physical location, like establishing the parameters of my working area, or both, or more, depending on what's going on.

Circles. From most of what I have read creating a circle for a ritual is a Wiccan thing, not that I am saying Wiccans are bad - just that I am not a Wiccan. Are circles that important to ritual and how does one go about creating a circle when you are not Wiccan. That may sound hopelessly dumb - but all the info I have found on them is Wiccan.

I am not wiccan either, but I was taught to cast a circle and call the quarters before I do any workings, which is what feels the safest to me. I don't always, but for something really big, like a healing or major protection or banishing where I'll need a lot of support, I do. I usually call in my guides and any elemental helpers I might need as well. If you have not done attunements to the elements, and made some friends in those realms and the Underworld, I would really advise doing so before you try any big stuff. I really hurt myself by doing  major magic unsupervised, you might say.
hth

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 02, 2008, 04:11:43 pm »

I'm a big fan of drinking water and eating protein-rich food after ritual and especially after hardcore astral work.

You can find grounding meditations all over the place.  A common one is visualizing yourself as a tree and running your roots down into the earth.  I've also seen this done with reaching for the sky with your branches.  I personally ground by running energy a little ways down into earth and up into sky.  If I have excess energy, I'll also use it to align my Triple Soul.  (From Feri practice.)

You can also place your hands on the ground.  Walking might help, or dance or something else physical.  If it's really intense, you can place your third eye to the ground.  (I've only had to do this once.)  If it's *really* intense, you can place your crown chakra (top of head) on the ground.  But that's only if you *really* need to dump some energy.  (Last two suggestions from my Feri teacher, when I got dizzy after an exercise once.)

Are circles that important to ritual and how does one go about creating a circle when you are not Wiccan. That may sound hopelessly dumb - but all the info I have found on them is Wiccan.

AFAIK, circles are used in (some) Wiccan, Wiccan-derived/influenced (including Eclectic and NeoWiccan), other religious witchcraft (including Feri and Reclaiming) and ceremonial practices.  In other sorts of practices/religions/paths, they're not seen as necessary.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #3: June 02, 2008, 04:39:19 pm »

Circles. From most of what I have read creating a circle for a ritual is a Wiccan thing, not that I am saying Wiccans are bad - just that I am not a Wiccan.

Circles themselves are not inherently wiccan but most of the best information and instruction on them seems to be, mainly because wiccans have been working with and refining the concepts deeply.  Circles and spheres are great for containing anything, energies, half-made spells, entities, whatever needs confining or protecting until the moment of release or destruction.

I believe you can find non-wiccan instructions for circles in Golden Dawn and OTO material, and possibly a few more (you can google 'non-wiccan circle casting' or something, maybe), but if your main objection to using wiccan methods is that you're not wiccan then you're most likely going to run into the same problem.

If you're fairly eclectic in what you do anyway then you should be able to tailor any instructions you find to your own needs and purposes.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 02, 2008, 05:59:39 pm »

Are circles that important to ritual and how does one go about creating a circle when you are not Wiccan. That may sound hopelessly dumb - but all the info I have found on them is Wiccan.

You might find this section of our web site interesting:

Introduction to Ceremonial Magick
New Aeon Magick

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 03, 2008, 03:39:48 am »

There was a point where I could feel the energy of EVERY thing around me. I always do all my rituals outside so it was quite the flow LOL. I  based what I did on a natural ability that I seem to have always had and it was the first time I had used it in a ritual sense.
I have problems with this too. (And I'm glad I don't do rituals yet.) What helps me is centering and shielding. I have the impression that my consciousness kind of gets scrambled all over the place when I do some specific sort of energy work (or when I just open myself more to the environment around me), but centering and shielding helps me to get my consciousness more concentrated to my own body.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 03, 2008, 03:57:24 am »

You can also place your hands on the ground.  Walking might help, or dance or something else physical.  If it's really intense, you can place your third eye to the ground.  (I've only had to do this once.)  If it's *really* intense, you can place your crown chakra (top of head) on the ground.  But that's only if you *really* need to dump some energy.
This is really good and has helped me, especially when I was so dizzy that I wasn't able to concentrate on anything else.

What also gets to me sometimes is when I take myself into an energy flow too much or when I run energy through my body, for example when I draw energy from the earth in through my feet and let it flow out through my hands. Sometimes the flow is so intense that it feels like electric shock. For that kind of work you need a specific exercise for ending the work. In qi gong (what I practice) it's normally a specific movement with breathing.

Another point this gets problematic at is if your body isn't transparent enough to channel energy like that. Then you have to find out where the blockage is exactly and try to loosen it, because otherwise some of the energy gets stuck inside your body. I have a weak spot at my right ancle, once I've messep up so badly that I wasn't able to walk properly some hours after the exercise because my foot felt kind of swollen.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 03, 2008, 08:56:00 am »

I have problems with this too. (And I'm glad I don't do rituals yet.)

You might get a different effect from celebratory rituals or rituals to honor deity than magical rituals or rituals involving energy work (like healing).  Of course, meeting deity *can* be overwhelming, but in a different way than raising a whole lot of energy.  YMMV.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 03, 2008, 10:17:53 am »

Then you have to find out where the blockage is exactly and try to loosen it, because otherwise some of the energy gets stuck inside your body.

This is why it's also a good idea to do a ritual purification before you do a big working-a bath or smudge or whatever. I do an aura and chakra cleanout, and a full body scan, and attend to anything I find there before I  run a lot of energy.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 03, 2008, 10:19:11 am »

You might get a different effect from celebratory rituals or rituals to honor deity than magical rituals or rituals involving energy work (like healing).  Of course, meeting deity *can* be overwhelming, but in a different way than raising a whole lot of energy.  YMMV.
Maybe you're right, but I can't overcome my fear at the moment. Energy work is just like filling water from one cup into another for me, but meeting deity or spirits frightens me slightly. I have encountered some animals without inviting them. I like them if I meditate and ask a question and see them and can contemplate in peace, but I don't like it if they just randomly drop into my mind, try to eat me or tell me to jump into treeholes and everything starts spinning.

I like being in controll of a situation, so I really have a problem with rituals which would involve more beings than just myself. I know it sounds stupid when everyone is so happy to meet deity or anything from the Other, but I don't know how to deal with their power. 

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 03, 2008, 10:27:16 am »

This is why it's also a good idea to do a ritual purification before you do a big working-a bath or smudge or whatever. I do an aura and chakra cleanout, and a full body scan, and attend to anything I find there before I  run a lot of energy.
I have a very physical aproach to this at least when I'm doing qi gong. I just do a set of exercises which relax my muscles and warm me up plus a little preparation exercise if I want to do something heavy afterwards. It works very well for me, but I might not use the same approach to ritual or spells etc. as qi gong is a different than witchcraft and magic (though I find some characteristics they do share).

Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 03, 2008, 12:39:30 pm »

Thank you all for the advise and info - hopefully it can help me out the next time I try this.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 03, 2008, 04:28:34 pm »

I like being in controll of a situation, so I really have a problem with rituals which would involve more beings than just myself. I know it sounds stupid when everyone is so happy to meet deity or anything from the Other, but I don't know how to deal with their power. 

I remember someone saying on a podcast, that when you invoke, you go "off the script".  I see that.  Smiley

Deities are definitely powerful, but I believe people can also negotiate with them.  And there's nothing wrong with telling a deity you're scared of them or are nervous about talking to them.  In most cases, I think They'd understand.

Again, YMMV.  Devotional work is an important part of my path, but it's definitely not part of everyone's.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 04, 2008, 02:44:19 am »

I remember someone saying on a podcast, that when you invoke, you go "off the script".  I see that.  Smiley

Deities are definitely powerful, but I believe people can also negotiate with them.  And there's nothing wrong with telling a deity you're scared of them or are nervous about talking to them.  In most cases, I think They'd understand.

Again, YMMV.  Devotional work is an important part of my path, but it's definitely not part of everyone's.
Thanks for the hint, you gave me something to think about. Smiley

starr60
Last Login:June 09, 2008, 01:33:33 pm

Religion: Wicca-Type

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 04, 2008, 09:02:33 pm »

What is your instinct on this? Do you have a specific visualization that you use, or is it just a feeling or intuition? One of the most important things I learned about grounding from my own shorting out experiences was to make sure I am very firmly anchored to something. That could be my visualization of a golden cord to the center of the earth, or a physical location, like establishing the parameters of my working area, or both, or more, depending on what's going on.

I am not wiccan either, but I was taught to cast a circle and call the quarters before I do any workings, which is what feels the safest to me. I don't always, but for something really big, like a healing or major protection or banishing where I'll need a lot of support, I do. I usually call in my guides and any elemental helpers I might need as well. If you have not done attunements to the elements, and made some friends in those realms and the Underworld, I would really advise doing so before you try any big stuff. I really hurt myself by doing  major magic unsupervised, you might say.
hth

I'm not Wicca, I have a few Wiccian Ideas that I live by.

I always cast a circle. You don't have to be fancy or use any Pentagrams or anything like that if you don't feel right.

Simple salt, clockwise in a circle will be fine. Don't have a knife to cut the door to go in and out? Use your hand in a cutting motion.

The circle is a Holy Safe Place. It keeps your energys in and not floating around.

When you do healing always ask you Divine for Positive Energy to replace all the energy your using.

I intend to grow old gracefully, A glass of wine in one hand, Pain pills in the other.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)