The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 07:49:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 07:49:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The meaning of the word 'witch'  (Read 18302 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 03, 2008, 04:13:11 pm »

The word ‘witch’ has a multiplicity of uses.

It can be used to mean some one who practices magic, or it can be used to mean an evil sorcerer of some sort. It is also used to mean, quite simply, a ‘hag’.

Religiously, the word ‘witch’ crops up quite often. But what exactly is a ‘witch’ when speaking religiously? Does the word ‘witch’ still mean the same thing when putting either cottage, hedge or kitchen in front of it?

‘Witch’ is also commonly seen with the word ‘craft’ tagged onto it. But what exactly is Witchcraft? Is it as straightforward as it sounds: the practice of a witch, whatever a witch may be?

And finally, what do you think about a religious group laying claim to the title of ‘Witchcraft’? Do you think there is one that has a rightful claim, or do you think it is a practice that anybody can claim?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 03, 2008, 04:23:42 pm »

Religiously, the word ‘witch’ crops up quite often. But what exactly is a ‘witch’ when speaking religiously? Does the word ‘witch’ still mean the same thing when putting either cottage, hedge or kitchen in front of it?

When I hear the word 'witch' I think of someone who practices magic and/or herbology.  I don't consider it a religious term. Although some religions have witchcraft highly imbedded in them, one can be a witch and not necessarily be religious.  It's like how some religions are 'nature based'.  Just because a person loves nature and devotes themselves to protecting it doesn't make them a member of any certain religion.

‘Witch’ is also commonly seen with the word ‘craft’ tagged onto it. But what exactly is Witchcraft? Is it as straightforward as it sounds: the practice of a witch, whatever a witch may be?

Yes, I think so.

And finally, what do you think about a religious group laying claim to the title of ‘Witchcraft’? Do you think there is one that has a rightful claim, or do you think it is a practice that anybody can claim?

I think anyone has the right to do magic, so anyone can use the term. 

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 03, 2008, 10:41:44 pm »

The word ‘witch’ has a multiplicity of uses.

I sometimes describe my path as religious witchcraft. By which, I mean something like the following:

1) A good chunk of what we do has foundations in a particular kind of magical tradition, most commonly known in the English-speaking world as witchcraft. There's the potential to harm and to heal, a focus on a specific common range of tools and approaches (i.e. candle magic, knot magic, etc.) and  that there's a focus on being aware of natural resources (herbs and stones), cycles (lunar and solar) and phases (life stages and how to adapt across the thresholds of each.) 

2) That this also includes deities. It's unspecific about which deities unless there's more info given, but you can presume from the 'religious' part that that's part of the picture.

3) That it's in a general religious grouping with a bunch of other religious witchcraft paths (which include, but are not limited to, traditional Wicca, Feri, Reclaiming, various eclectic paths, etc.) depending on how you define some stuff (like the nature of deity.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 03, 2008, 11:28:48 pm »

I don't think so. My mother was a Catholic witch. She definitely had a specific God (Jesus) and Goddess (Mary), but she also knew a lot about herbs and made an awesome chicken soup when people were sick, b/c she was not too shabby of a kitchen witch. The labels may be connected, but they're not the same.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 04, 2008, 02:50:12 am »

I don't think so. My mother was a Catholic witch. She definitely had a specific God (Jesus) and Goddess (Mary), but she also knew a lot about herbs and made an awesome chicken soup when people were sick, b/c she was not too shabby of a kitchen witch. The labels may be connected, but they're not the same.
Did she practice magic and called herself a witch or did she just unconsciously put a lot of her energies into what she was doing?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 04, 2008, 06:02:22 am »

does herbology and chicken soup make someone a witch, though?

I mean, until recent times, there was frequently at least one person in every village that knew a good chunk about herbs - you had to, they were the only medicines you had!  And they could all cook, because there wasn't any other way to eat.

I think they'd all be very surprised to be relabeled into witches, though.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 04, 2008, 09:06:34 am »

I'd think the difference would be in the intent the practitioner put into their creation, i.e. deliberately choosing herbs for their magical correspondences in addition to their culinary properties, and whether they self identified as a witch.

Which brings me to another thought that may need it's own thread: what's the difference between witchcraft and folk or low magic?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 04, 2008, 10:30:20 am »

Which brings me to another thought that may need it's own thread: what's the difference between witchcraft and folk or low magic?

Ok, I spun off a tangentially related thread if anyone is interested in discussing different folk magic systems:

Folk Magic Systems?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 04, 2008, 09:14:19 pm »

I sometimes describe my path as religious witchcraft. By which, I mean something like the following:

1) A good chunk of what we do has foundations in a particular kind of magical tradition, most commonly known in the English-speaking world as witchcraft. There's the potential to harm and to heal, a focus on a specific common range of tools and approaches (i.e. candle magic, knot magic, etc.) and  that there's a focus on being aware of natural resources (herbs and stones), cycles (lunar and solar) and phases (life stages and how to adapt across the thresholds of each.) 

2) That this also includes deities. It's unspecific about which deities unless there's more info given, but you can presume from the 'religious' part that that's part of the picture.

Ok, I think I see what you mean. The term 'witch' or 'witchcraft' for you doesn't automatically include any religious practice, it just incorporates your magical traditional. Therefore, you put 'religious' in front of the term 'witch' to show that deity is included in your belief/path. That makes sense to me.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 04, 2008, 09:22:10 pm »

I mean, until recent times, there was frequently at least one person in every village that knew a good chunk about herbs - you had to, they were the only medicines you had!  And they could all cook, because there wasn't any other way to eat.

The village wisewoman, or wiseman, IMO were simply that: a woman or man who happened to be 'wise' about herbs and medicines. I believe that it was only recently that some started to say that they are the 'ancestors', if you will, of the modern day witch. I don't think that they were witches at all. But then again, as a witch with an interest in herbology, I do honour those wisewomen and men from back then; if only for the fact that I'm happy to be practicing something that has been practiced for hundreds of years.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 04, 2008, 10:11:08 pm »

The term 'witch' or 'witchcraft' for you doesn't automatically include any religious practice, it just incorporates your magical traditional.

That's all the terms do for me as well. A witch is someone who practices (the magic of) witchcraft. One can practice witchcraft and be of any religion or no religion.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 04, 2008, 11:18:47 pm »

does herbology and chicken soup make someone a witch, though?

Oh, I think a number of them would be plain old offended, esp. my super religious great grandma who was psychic as heck. My mom did not start calling herself a witch until she started consciously practicing witchcraft, which was not until I was an adult and she was around 50. But everything she did before that time was sort of subconsciously witchy, if you will. I never thought of her as a witch until she started doing witchcraft, and saying that's what she was doing. But it was prettty easy to connect the dots and see where she'd been doing witchcrafty things but didn't really see it as such, until it became a conscious act. It was a natural progression, for her.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 05, 2008, 02:30:25 am »

That's all the terms do for me as well. A witch is someone who practices (the magic of) witchcraft. One can practice witchcraft and be of any religion or no religion.
Is there magic that isn't witchcraft?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 05, 2008, 08:49:17 am »

Is there magic that isn't witchcraft?

There are many different systems of magic that are not typically considered witchcraft by people who study/use magic systems: various ceremonial magic systems, alchemy, hoodoo, etc.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 05, 2008, 04:18:32 pm »

That makes sense, and I wish it was that simple. But what confuses me are those groups/religions that include 'witchcraft' in their title. For instance, BTW and Tradtional Witchcraft. If I understand them correctly, the former is religious- Wicca- but the second isn't religious? Is that right?

And do these groups lay claim to the title 'witchcraft' or does it become something different because the word is capitalized? As if to say, anyone can practice witchcraft, but Witchcraft specifically refers to the so-and-so group.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)