The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 25, 2021, 02:50:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2021, 02:50:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Athames of Steel or Wood??  (Read 7362 times)
Mannun
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 08:07:58 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

There is great Wisdom in Silence

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 05, 2008, 09:31:11 am »

Traditionally one uses an Athame in a circle and sometimes a sword even. Some say that no steel weapons should be within the circle as it intimidates other worldly beings invited, amongst many other reasons. Some have opted to create wooden Athames or use wands of a sorts. What do you think??

www.witchsmark.com [Pagan Rock Band]

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rebelleink
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 25, 2009, 02:00:53 am

Religion: earthy

My path is dirt. And I walk barefoot.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 05, 2008, 09:47:44 am »

Traditionally one uses an Athame in a circle and sometimes a sword even. Some say that no steel weapons should be within the circle as it intimidates other worldly beings invited, amongst many other reasons. Some have opted to create wooden Athames or use wands of a sorts. What do you think??

First: background - I am solitary and very much in the nature worship path of Wicca.

I don't think that the material that the blade is made from would mater more than the intent of the wielder. I don't have a lot of personal experience with the tool. What matters to any of the Gods or spirits I have worked with is my intent and my focus. I've known people who've used a butter knife with as much success as a $600 custom athame.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 05, 2008, 09:59:39 am »

I have been studying paganism and the occult for five years and this is the first time I ever heard of steal weapons intimidating other worldly beings.  Can you give an example of someone who said it or if it is a somewhat common belief among Wiccans in your area?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Egalas
Journeyman
Last Login:September 11, 2011, 02:34:10 pm

Religion: More of a Spiritual being then Religious

Ignorant people shouldn't breed!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 05, 2008, 10:06:24 am »

What do you think??

I really don't see where "what" you use would really matter.  I have used my own hand made wands of copper and stone cores with leather wrappings etc. the few times I have actually used implements.  I have used nothing, and I.... (epiphany: I have a marble stone dagger that was given to me w/ a horse's head.  Time to talk to Epona again!)  sorry where was I? oh!  I don't really see much of a difference of what you would use, more then the intention behind it.  I would say that IMO it would be UPG.

---===<<< 0 >>>===---
"Perception is the key to unlocking the power of the subconscious mind…"
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 05, 2008, 10:25:08 am »

I've heard of the whole "fae not liking cold iron" thing, as well as discussions of what exactly is "cold" iron.  But I haven't heard it related to steel.  My athame is an obsidian arrowhead with a piece of leather wrapped on to it, because that was what seemed to suit me.  (I wire-wrapped it and my wand.)

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 05, 2008, 10:27:48 am »

I've heard of the whole "fae not liking cold iron" thing, as well as discussions of what exactly is "cold" iron.  But I haven't heard it related to steel.  My athame is an obsidian arrowhead with a piece of leather wrapped on to it, because that was what seemed to suit me.  (I wire-wrapped it and my wand.)

**nods** Iron is what I've heard, too.

I think someone may have gotten their metals skewed.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 05, 2008, 10:57:22 am »

I have been studying paganism and the occult for five years and this is the first time I ever heard of steal weapons intimidating other worldly beings.

Certainly not part of my path, nor have I ever heard this before, either.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 05, 2008, 12:32:01 pm »

I think material matters: my experience is that a metal blade holds and contains energy in a very different way than a wooden one, or an obsidian one. (Likewise, different kinds of woods, likewise things like alcohol vs. juice or water in a chalice.)

Otherwise, people wouldn't care, right? My athame is steel. My wands are wood. My chalices are silver and clay. My primary pentacle is metal. There're specific reasons for all of those choices, which I'm happy to discuss with people willing to listen long enough. I know they're not the only choices for some kinds of work, but there's also limit to how many ritual tools I really want to own/store/tend.

The only 'otherwordly beings' one I've heard is the Good Folk: most of the time, they are not part of my work in that context, so it's not an issue. (When they are, I consider whether iron in the circle is an issue. Given that I live in a home built in the last 200 years, you can be sure there's tons of iron in the house, though. And that cast-iron pan on the stove, and so on.)

(Steel does, of course, include iron: depends on whether you have concerns about cold iron or all iron. Folklore theories vary somewhat.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Vyktor
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gwyddon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 05, 2008, 01:06:47 pm »

My athame is steel. My wands are wood. My chalices are silver and clay. My primary pentacle is metal. There're specific reasons for all of those choices, which I'm happy to discuss with people willing to listen long enough. 

I'm game! Seriously I would love to why those choices!

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 05, 2008, 01:09:28 pm »

**nods** Iron is what I've heard, too.

I think someone may have gotten their metals skewed.

Steel is made with iron, so if one is being scientific about it, I would think steel would carry the same anti-fairy effect?  But, since fairies aren't much what I worry about, this is luckily not among my magical worries!  My husband owns a lovely little blade of obsidian, but when I pick it up, it feels pretty dead in my hands.  I will stick to my blackened steel blade with its pretty sharp, shiny double edges. :-)

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 05, 2008, 02:31:58 pm »

I would think steel would carry the same anti-fairy effect?  But, since fairies aren't much what I worry about

Our house is full of blades of all stripes and kinds - and it's never stopped any of the fey from dropping by or from living with us.
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 05, 2008, 02:44:11 pm »

Our house is full of blades of all stripes and kinds - and it's never stopped any of the fey from dropping by or from living with us.

LOl...we are so very "metal" here...but then, should I assume it is my affinity for iron skillets and cauldrons that keeps me fey-less?  (Well, other than that mood of my own that I am accused of sporting too often?!)

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 05, 2008, 03:14:21 pm »

but then, should I assume it is my affinity for iron skillets and cauldrons that keeps me fey-less?

I wouldn't think so as I have those things, too. Grin
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 05, 2008, 05:17:26 pm »

I think material matters: my experience is that a metal blade holds and contains energy in a very different way than a wooden one, or an obsidian one. (Likewise, different kinds of woods, likewise things like alcohol vs. juice or water in a chalice.)

There is that. My personal belief is that an athame is a blade and is meant to BE a blade. That symbolism is important to me, so any athame that I have or use will either a) be made from metal and at least appear as a blade (whether sharp or not...preferably sharp) or b) made from some other material that can actually CUT. (Ie: obsidian)

After that, comes the energy concerns. Then I get into: what is it made from? What is the handle made from? (for example my Gwyddon athame doesn't 'project' as well as my personal one does. My personal athame has a metal handle, my Gwyddon athame has a bone handle).

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 05, 2008, 05:27:47 pm »

Some say that no steel weapons should be within the circle as it intimidates other worldly beings invited, amongst many other reasons.

I've never heard of steel bothering other world beings. At least not in general, there might be some specific types who have a problem with steel. Fae creatures tend not to like iron. "Cold Iron" is just iron, btw.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)