The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 24, 2017, 06:37:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:37:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Herbs and other Correspondences  (Read 3734 times)
Estrella
Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2009, 11:05:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 05, 2008, 05:56:43 pm »

I'm trying to expand my correspondences lists so if you have any websites or personal information that you would like to give me to assist me in this manner, it would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I have a question.  Why is that some herbs, such as Bay Laurel, have so many magical uses and others only have one or two?  Also, how did we figure out what herb was good for what purpose?  Just a trial and error method?  Any help would be amazing.  Thank you!

Ever changing, ever learning.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 05, 2008, 06:33:46 pm »

Why is that some herbs, such as Bay Laurel, have so many magical uses and others only have one or two?
Some of it is ethno-centricity of the western magical tradition.  Herbs native to Europe, especially the Mediterranean - like laurel, have many more recorded uses than plants that grow in say, Southern African or even North America.

It's not that the plants themselves are more useful, it's that all of our sources are drawn from European tradition.  That's starting to change as practitioners from other cultures publish (or share their knowledge in other ways) but even today almost everything you find will still be heavily weighted toward Europe.

Of course, some plants just don't have a lot of magical properties. 

Also, how did we figure out what herb was good for what purpose?  Just a trial and error method?
There's no way to know how this knowledge was originally aquired, much of it goes back to pre-historical times.  I can guess:  Trial and error would be a big one.  As would divination or actual instruction from gods and spirits.  The doctrine of signatures was popular in medival times - a plant was believed to reveal it's nature through it's appearance in some way.  Thus bloodroot, which has a sap that looks like - you guessed it - blood, was discovered to be good for internal hemorhaging IIRC.  (That's medicinal, not magical, but I'd imagine it worked the same way.)  The there's mythology.  Many of laurel's attributes come from it's close association with Apollo, f'ex.

I can't recommend any websites, but Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is a passable source.  However, he doesn't usually cite where his information comes from.  I'd use him as a starting point and do further research on the things that interest you.  A lot of old herbals (i.e. Culpepper) include astrological correspondances. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:35:47 pm by Thorn » Logged
Estrella
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 06, 2008, 01:40:47 am »

I can't recommend any websites, but Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is a passable source.  However, he doesn't usually cite where his information comes from.  I'd use him as a starting point and do further research on the things that interest you.  A lot of old herbals (i.e. Culpepper) include astrological correspondances. 

Thanks for the help!  I really appreciate it.  Glad to see that this is an active forum too.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 06, 2008, 02:51:23 am »

Also, how did we figure out what herb was good for what purpose?
I haven't worked with correspondances yet. I try to feel their energy. When I'm composing tea I try to draw the energy of the plant and look what it does inside my body. (I check with books and descriptions from the pharmacy.) Also when I'm in the forest I try to feel plants to explore them, but a bit more careful.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 06, 2008, 08:06:21 am »

Worth noting - older herbals (and this includes Cunningham's at this point) need to be cross-checked against recent modern health info if you're going to do anything with it that involves eating, drinking, or inhaling (via incense) the herb: there are continuing changing in understanding about the medical effect of various compounds.

Cunningham's book, in its first edition, was also seriously lacking in some of the health precautions, even at the time of publication. The second edition was vetted by a professionally trained herbalist, and a bunch of  that info put in.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 06, 2008, 10:06:31 am »

I'm trying to expand my correspondences lists so if you have any websites or personal information that you would like to give me to assist me in this manner, it would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.earthwitchery.com/index.html
http://www.rexx.co.uk/herbal/acherbal/index.htm
http://www.wicca.com/celtic/herbal/herbindex.htm
http://www.geocities.com/gardenwitchry/herbs/herbs5.html

These are nearly all of a wiccan slant, except for AC Herbal, which is Celtic.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Estrella
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 06, 2008, 11:46:27 am »

I haven't worked with correspondances yet. I try to feel their energy. When I'm composing tea I try to draw the energy of the plant and look what it does inside my body

Maybe that's my problem.  I haven't quite gotten the energy part down yet, or even grounding or centering down for that matter.  But I figured learning was the first step in all this.  Or am I going about this the wrong way?  Then again, maybe that's another post  Grin

Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 06, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »

Worth noting - older herbals (and this includes Cunningham's at this point) need to be cross-checked against recent modern health info if you're going to do anything with it that involves eating, drinking, or inhaling (via incense) the herb: there are continuing changing in understanding about the medical effect of various compounds.

Cunningham's book, in its first edition, was also seriously lacking in some of the health precautions, even at the time of publication. The second edition was vetted by a professionally trained herbalist, and a bunch of  that info put in.
Absolutely.  Anything ingested, inhaled, or even applied to the skin should always be cross checked against the most current information available. 
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 06, 2008, 02:02:37 pm »

But I figured learning was the first step in all this.  Or am I going about this the wrong way?  Then again, maybe that's another post  Grin

I'm not one of those "anything goes" type people.  On the other hand, I think that people learn differently.  It depends on what your goal is and what system you're working in.  If you want to do energy work, yes, grounding and centering is very useful.  But there are some systems of folk magic (I'm thinking of hoodoo here) where the magic is seen to be in the specific items used, and energy work isn't done at all.  In that case, correspondences and theory and such would be the first thing to learn.  (Note: I'm not an expert in hoodoo - if I've got this wrong, someone else please explain. Smiley )

There's also a point where the best learning comes from experience.  Which I think is true whether one has a teacher, is self-taught, or anything else/in between.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 06, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »

It's actually a commercial site, but I've found a lot of cool info on Alchemy Works.  The site owner has some information on why different plants, resins, etc. are associated with planets and elements.

I'm also very fond of the book 777 by Crowley.  It's a gigantic table of Qabalistic correspondences, which can be poked at to get elemental and planetary ones too.  The best part is his explanations of *why* different things have the associations they do.  (And I know the perfume table best.  Heh.)

Also, how did we figure out what herb was good for what purpose?  Just a trial and error method?  Any help would be amazing.  Thank you!

Well, some correspondences (such as the ones I mentioned above, probably) came from books like Agrippa's (17th century) Three Books of Occult Philosophy.  Where did those come from?  That I don't know.  I do know there's a logic to it - for example, most good-smelling flowers seem to be associated with the planet Venus, going back to the goddess's love and beauty associations.  Thorny plants can be associated with Mars, because they're weapon-like and therefore can be associated with war.

You might have noticed - a lot of this is from a ceremonial background.  I'm not sure where some of the more "folk magic" associations come from.  But here's a more modern one: basil and money.  Why?  Well, the explanation I've seen is that basil is the color of money in the United States.  Smiley

When using correspondences, it really helps to use a system that makes some degree of sense to you. Smiley

dyke-witch56
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 01:31:16 pm

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 09, 2008, 08:05:42 am »

The one real problem with Culpepper, is that he lists herbs and plants for internal and external-such as salves-use, that we now know are downright poisonous. Even breathing the smoke/fumes from some burning plants can be bad for your health.

Rodale published an herbal-I believe in the 1970's?-that while not exhaustive in the number of plants it listed, was very complete for the ones it did list. This isn't a magical herbal, but secular. Whatever, its a good idea to be familiar with ALL the properties of your materials, secular as well as magical.

Leigh

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 09, 2008, 11:50:45 am »

The one real problem with Culpepper, is that he lists herbs and plants for internal and external-such as salves-use, that we now know are downright poisonous. Even breathing the smoke/fumes from some burning plants can be bad for your health.

Rodale published an herbal-I believe in the 1970's?-that while not exhaustive in the number of plants it listed, was very complete for the ones it did list. This isn't a magical herbal, but secular. Whatever, its a good idea to be familiar with ALL the properties of your materials, secular as well as magical.

Leigh

oh yes...the Rodale herbal...my mom totally wore hers out, she adored that book Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 09, 2008, 01:28:16 pm »

John Lust's "The Herb Book" is quite comprehensive (though it only has line drawings, not photos).  A little of the info is dated, but none of the plants he OKs for internal use will kill you unless you take them in massive quantities over long periods of time.  It's always a good to cross-reference older herbalism books with more up-to-date ones anyway.  And don't go applying/ingesting anything that you haven't fully researched.  Should go without saying, but...  Wink

Brina
Thorn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 09, 2008, 02:26:58 pm »

I probably should have made it more clear that I was recommending older herbals like Culpepper solely for their magical content, but it never occurred to me someone would look to a source written in the 1600's for suggestions on what to eat. 

It goes without saying that before ingesting, inhaling, or even rolling around in any herb one should always check the most up to date information available.
dyke-witch56
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 12, 2008, 01:31:16 pm

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 10, 2008, 09:27:43 am »

Yeah, you would think, wouldn't you? But considering the attitudes of some of the people in the alternative building groups I belong to, who think everything "natural" is just hunkydory and GOOD for you, I always try to point out that that isn't always the case. Example-not all natural clays are suitable for building, as some in some parts of the world contain very high levels of lead. NOT GOOD.

Leigh

I probably should have made it more clear that I was recommending older herbals like Culpepper solely for their magical content, but it never occurred to me someone would look to a source written in the 1600's for suggestions on what to eat. 

It goes without saying that before ingesting, inhaling, or even rolling around in any herb one should always check the most up to date information available.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)