The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 06:35:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 06:35:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: How long have you defined yourself as Pagan?
for less than a year - 8 (11.8%)
for over a year - 17 (25%)
for over 5 years - 15 (22.1%)
for over 10 years - 16 (23.5%)
for over 20 years - 11 (16.2%)
for over 40 years - 0 (0%)
I don't see myself as Pagan - 1 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan self-definition and Pagan community  (Read 11030 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 08, 2008, 10:14:34 am »

Some points for discussion if you like
What made you decide to define yourself as Pagan as opposed to someone who is just interested in myths, history, nature, meditation, esoteric stuff etc.?
  • Have you pondered that label for a while or did you suddenly discover it and had some sort of key experience that just made you think 'Yes, that is it what I was searching all along.'?
  • Did it give you a sense of belonging to a community or was it just a label for your own identity and you didn't care if you'd fit into the community?

For those who are longer Pagan and have a lot of experience with the Pagan community:
  • Have you experienced a change in what the label 'Pagan' means inside and outside the Pagan community?
  • How has Paganism changed itsself since you started practicing?
  • Has your own view of Paganism changed over the time?
  • How did those changes affect your life and religious/spiritual practice?

I started about 15 years or so after Randall I guess.

At the time, Wicca, or what I consider wiccanesque was the norm for public ritual.  ADF was just starting up with a radically different liturgy, and one that was aimed at the large (100 to 500) rituals done at pagan festivals.

Changes:  I feel, but have no backing for it, that more people consider themselves pagan, but a smaller percentage actually practice their religion on a regular basis now than then.  I put this down to the internet, it's easy to be involved in pagan discussion groups, but still hard to find a group to do face to face worship with on a regular basis.

Community:  With a much smaller community, it was easier to get meetings with other pagans in various places if they existed.  You wouldn't hear about say the pagan community in Detriot, MI unless you had a friend or friend of a friend to give you an introduction.  This lead to much more trust.  Now, the trust isn't there as much.  Instead of the general pagan community in Detroit, MI I'd have to look for the TC community there. 

Views on Paganism:  Issues with organization and passing things on.  Stuff that wasn't a concern to a 20 something with no spouse or kids became a failure point when kids arrived. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.