The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 26, 2022, 08:12:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 08:12:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Book suggestions please.  (Read 20244 times)
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 23, 2008, 02:52:40 pm »

In my opinion everyone, no matter their path should read this book.

That was my first book on Wicca. I still have it too, though I haven't looked at it in ages.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 13, 2008, 04:08:50 pm »

I am new and in the "clueless and/or misinformed by bad 101 books" stage  I picked up a book by Silver RavenWolf To Ride A Silver Broomstick. However, after reading a few chapters I found alot that didn't make sense with the little know ( I don't claim to know much as I am just starting out) and some of what I was reading just didn't seem logical. So I am back trying to find a decent book for a beginner.  I would appreciate some suggestions on where to start.
Thanks,
Ella

I'm reading Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin and I really like it.  The author is very down to earth about every thing and explains the basics very well.

I have Cunningham's Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner but haven't had a chance to start reading it yet. 
Chanah
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 27, 2008, 01:07:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Brit Trad Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 27, 2008, 10:21:03 am »

So I am back trying to find a decent book for a beginner.  I would appreciate some suggestions on where to start.

If it's still around, I'd suggest Doreen Valiente's Witchcraft for Tomorrow. It may - or may not - be a little dated, but Doreen was one of the sanest people around when Brit Trad Witchcraft started. The book is good even for those who are off somewhere on their own without access to much in the way of resources. It doesn't mean you have to go Brit Trad, but it's a very, very good intro to solitary practise.

The Farrar's Witches Bible is excellent for ritual material, and a resource that probably ought to be on your bookshelf. You won't agree with all of it. I'm Alexandrian and I don't agree with all of it. But it's got plenty of material to draw on, as do most of their other books.

Margot Adler's Drawing Down the Moon is a good survey, too. It's smart, but not so heavy going you're likely to throw up your hands in despair.

Ray Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is another one worth reading. I like Timothy Hutton for historical stuff, and Aidan Kelly, too. There are some flaws in Aidan's work but it's still worth a read.

Poke Runyon's The Book of Solomon's Magick is worth hunting down if you can. That one's for the folks who want to go romantic-Renaissance in their magic, so a completely different perspective to Pagan paths, but it's still pretty delightful.

There are good authors out there, just hard-to-find sometimes.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 24, 2022, 06:32:59 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: August 27, 2008, 07:40:22 pm »

I like Timothy Hutton for historical stuff
I'm wondering if you mean Ronald Hutton?  (Triumph of the Moon, etc.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Ridley Craft
Apprentice
Last Login:September 15, 2008, 12:50:23 am

Religion: Probabalistic Sorcerer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 07, 2008, 03:34:52 am »

I am new and in the "clueless and/or misinformed by bad 101 books" stage  I picked up a book by Silver RavenWolf To Ride A Silver Broomstick. However, after reading a few chapters I found alot that didn't make sense with the little know ( I don't claim to know much as I am just starting out) and some of what I was reading just didn't seem logical. So I am back trying to find a decent book for a beginner.  I would appreciate some suggestions on where to start.
Thanks,
Ella

Liber Null and Psychonaut by Peter J. Carroll
excellent book, read it when I was fifteen and still read it to this day, I am 24. It is a well spring of knowledge, it explores the mechanisms by which magic works as well as an in depth study of the practice of magic through the ages. Its a life long adventure though, so be prepared. A little tip when your read it though, start at the beggining, it has a magical training program in it called liber mmm, this will give you more tools then you ever need while performing magic. I have found its always best to dive right in, this book is pretty advanced but it will place you light years beyond the competition. Forget the reaper, dont fear the dictionary when reading this book.

I find it easier to pull the wool over a blind mans eyes, then it is to teach a sheep to think for itself.
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 07, 2008, 04:23:54 am »

In my opinion everyone, no matter their path should read this book.

I'm going to chime in with the chorus here.  Why exactly do you believe this?  While I might read it for curiosities sake (I happen to be a bookworm, though, so that's just me... I read the ingredients label on shampoo bottles, too, if I have nothing else), I doubt it would have anything at all to do with my personal path.  Wicca is not for me, while it may be for others, I don't see why I should be interested in a book on Wicca...

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: September 07, 2008, 09:30:25 am »

I'm going to chime in with the chorus here.  Why exactly do you believe this?  While I might read it for curiosities sake (I happen to be a bookworm, though, so that's just me... I read the ingredients label on shampoo bottles, too, if I have nothing else), I doubt it would have anything at all to do with my personal path.  Wicca is not for me, while it may be for others, I don't see why I should be interested in a book on Wicca...

Or you could be like me. It was Cunningham's Wicca books and Starhawk's Spiral Dance that turned me off and had me walk away from Wicca. Smiley

I suppose that isn't what is generally meant when people recommend these as "must reads", but that's what happened to me.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 07, 2008, 03:03:55 pm »

Or you could be like me. It was Cunningham's Wicca books and Starhawk's Spiral Dance that turned me off and had me walk away from Wicca. Smiley

I suppose that isn't what is generally meant when people recommend these as "must reads", but that's what happened to me.

I actually got lucky.  Didn't read anything like that until after I was turned away from Wicca.  My "turning away" actually came from a very nice Wiccan woman, who was going to take me under her wing, so to speak.  She and I talked online for a while, and had been talking about meeting up (come to find out she lived a few blocks from me, at the time).  But she and I both came to realize that Wicca wasn't for me, she lead me to a few "good" websites on paganism in general (they weren't so good on specific information, but had GREAT links sections to other more specific sites).  She was also part of the inspiration for my ideas of pathfinding...

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 07, 2008, 03:13:15 pm »

Thanks,
Ella
  As I'm not Wiccan, please remember that the only things I know of books and sites, are what I have heard.  So take all of this with a healthy grain of salt...

I'm really not sure what to give you in the lines of books, especially on Wicca in specific.  But there are a few good websites that have more specific information.  The two that I have found most useful would be http://www.sacred-texts.com and http://www.asiya.org

With the first scroll down to the Book of Shadows link, or do an insite search for Wicca.  With the second click on the link to the Athenaeum (sp?), also her own writings on Wicca are there, I don't know if those are any good, but she has several books on Wicca, including I believe Aradia, among others (which I have seen recommended elsewhere), as well as some form of gardnerian BOS, and Alexandrian BOS (again, not sure if these are any good...).  All of the actual books are downloadable, or you can read them right from the site.

My Writings So Far
phoebegrl2003
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 23, 2008, 07:36:20 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 09, 2008, 06:49:59 am »

I know SRW gets a lot of stick round here, but i liked The Solitary Practitioner - though more as a textbook type thing - still haven't gone cover to cover.

I also liked the real witches handbook by Kate West - which i think is one of the best things for a beginner interested in wicca, it introduces it well, is inexpensive and is smart but light hearted.

I'd have to say thats the one I'd recommend for a beginner

And the moment I Got off of it,
Was the moment I touched down.
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 11, 2008, 09:17:55 am »

Could you elaborate on why you think this?  It doesn't sound like the kind of book that would be universally valuable.

I disagree on this view of Scott Cunningham´s Guide for a solitary practioner is so good book that most try to suggest. I find it bit lacking in basic things and I don´t like so much on Cunningham´s views like wicca to be anything you like it to be. In my opinion he makes wicca to be like it is piece of different colored papers what you should cut and glue to make a collase. Well, I´m not saying that it anyway bad to be religiously eclectic (someone could consider me to be one too) but what the problem with this book is that it lacks of any guidelines or important buildingblocks of wicca and philosophy points too that what is left in the end is just memo of one solitary practioners rituals and spells. This isn´t usefull for my purposes at all. Ofcourse this is just my opinion and I don´t mean it can´t be usefull for someone else.
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Finland Finland

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 11, 2008, 09:24:18 am »

Thanks,
Ella

I personally like Kate West. I own her Born in Albion. That book is very basic stuff, no nonsense language and it gives good guidelines to wicca and it is good book to start.
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Finland Finland

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 15, 2008, 07:22:23 am »

Has anyone read the book Wiccan Warrior by Kerr Cuhulain? Is it worth of reading? Especially is it worth of buying? Besides the books I borrow from my pagan friends I usually have to buy books that I read ´cause there are not many books in the subject in our local library.

I am and have always been interested the subject of Warrior so maybe there are other books that I should read? What I mean here is spiritual warrior in modern (or old too?) contects. I have read books about Warriors conserning martial arts but that´s not what I´m looking for here.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: September 15, 2008, 07:52:23 am »

Has anyone read the book Wiccan Warrior by Kerr Cuhulain? Is it worth of reading? Especially is it worth of buying? Besides the books I borrow from my pagan friends I usually have to buy books that I read ´cause there are not many books in the subject in our local library.

I am and have always been interested the subject of Warrior so maybe there are other books that I should read? What I mean here is spiritual warrior in modern (or old too?) contects. I have read books about Warriors conserning martial arts but that´s not what I´m looking for here.

I read it.  Caveat - I'm really not Wiccan, even though I thought I was when I got it.

But I found it profoundly boring.  It didn't tell me anything new, it didn't give me a different insight.  It was a Wicca 101 book with a twist, if I remember correctly.

I was seriously disappointed.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: September 15, 2008, 02:28:22 pm »

I know SRW gets a lot of stick round here, but i liked The Solitary Practitioner - though more as a textbook type thing - still haven't gone cover to cover.
I agree.  I have found this book to be a useful in that it is a textbook/encyclopedia.  It offers small excerpts of different info including: techniques, traditions, styles, histories, myths, and miscellaneous so that you know what your options are when you're a beginner.  Some of the info is 101 and some of it is advanced.  It's extremely well organized so if you lose your place, you can find it again easily.  You can bounce around in this book if you get bored with a section or do not beleive what it is preaching, though I recommend you read the whole thing eventually. 

There are going to be things in every book you read that you are going to disagree with, even in your favorite books, and even in books that claim to be factual.  Some facts are merely based on what we know right now and when we find new info, our "facts" change.  We are all individuals afterall, and many books are just one magician's experience.  Even spirituality changes over time and one thing you did not believe in the past, you may find to be true in the future.  So always read more and reread the old and push yourself to read what may not be your cup of tea.  You could surprise yourself.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)