The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 26, 2022, 07:35:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 07:35:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Book suggestions please.  (Read 20243 times)
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm
United States United States

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #60: October 19, 2008, 09:58:33 pm »

Neither is Starhawk.

You're right.....she is of the Reclaiming Tradition.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: October 19, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »

I'm one of those ones who looked into Wicca, read several books, and walked away from it after reading Starhawk and Scott Cunningham.

What utterly turned me off was the disregard for historical fact. And that's where a whole lot of the Pagan 101 authors fall down.  They rewrite whole sections of history that is known and documents.

So in this case, it's not really a point of view that's the problem.

I concede. When 101 authors relay information incorrectly, be it historical or otherwise, it does a huge disservice to everyone.....no matter their path.

I don't recall Starhawk or Cunningham incorrectly stating any information about Greek Mythology, but TBH I don't really know that much about it other than surface material, so even if it was incorrect I probably wouldn't have caught it.

Would you be willing to share what they wrote about incorrectly? I really would like to know.....no sarcasm intended.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #62: October 19, 2008, 10:19:01 pm »

I concede. When 101 authors relay information incorrectly, be it historical or otherwise, it does a huge disservice to everyone.....no matter their path.

I don't recall Starhawk or Cunningham incorrectly stating any information about Greek Mythology, but TBH I don't really know that much about it other than surface material, so even if it was incorrect I probably wouldn't have caught it.

Would you be willing to share what they wrote about incorrectly? I really would like to know.....no sarcasm intended.

IIRC, it wasn't specific to Greek Mythology...that was before I became a Greek Recon. It's been about 10 years since I"ve picked up either one of those books, but if I get a chance, I'll skim through and see if I can pick up what had me tossing them down.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #63: October 20, 2008, 05:17:21 am »

IIRC, it wasn't specific to Greek Mythology...that was before I became a Greek Recon. It's been about 10 years since I"ve picked up either one of those books, but if I get a chance, I'll skim through and see if I can pick up what had me tossing them down.

I don't remember specifically either, but I do seem to recall in the preface to one of the later editions of Spiral Dance Starhawk admitting that her history was kind of crap.  I'm thinking it might have had to do with ye olde Worldwide Great Mother Goddess Worship fallacy, but I may be wrong.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #64: October 20, 2008, 07:48:32 am »

I don't remember specifically either, but I do seem to recall in the preface to one of the later editions of Spiral Dance Starhawk admitting that her history was kind of crap.  I'm thinking it might have had to do with ye olde Worldwide Great Mother Goddess Worship fallacy, but I may be wrong.

Oh yes. That was definitely one of the things. Can't remember about St. Scott, but I think it was about then I noticed this circular referencing in the Llewellyn books' bibliographies. I know that drove me straight up the wall.

Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: October 20, 2008, 07:02:27 pm »

Oh yes. That was definitely one of the things. Can't remember about St. Scott, but I think it was about then I noticed this circular referencing in the Llewellyn books' bibliographies. I know that drove me straight up the wall.

Thanks to both of you. It's definitely something I'll have to look for next time I have time to look at either one of those books (plural for Cunningham).

To tell you the truth, the only books I have by him are Earth Power and his Encyclopedias. I like his Encyclopedias for reference when I'm stuck, and Earth Power (I think that's what it's called - if not it's close) was one of the first books I read concerning Paganism. I guess I should read it again before I recommend it to anyone else. Thanks again for the info.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #66: October 20, 2008, 07:25:07 pm »

Thanks to both of you. It's definitely something I'll have to look for next time I have time to look at either one of those books (plural for Cunningham).

To tell you the truth, the only books I have by him are Earth Power and his Encyclopedias. I like his Encyclopedias for reference when I'm stuck, and Earth Power (I think that's what it's called - if not it's close) was one of the first books I read concerning Paganism. I guess I should read it again before I recommend it to anyone else. Thanks again for the info.

I think the one that gave me a headache was his Solitairy Practioner. In Scott's case, it wasn't so much bad information as that there was zip in the way of a bibliography that didn't reference either another of his books or another Llewellyn author. And when I went to that book, the bibliography did the same thing. Pretty much there was no way of going more indepth on the things he wrote. I can't tell you how much that drove me insane.

Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: October 21, 2008, 10:59:42 pm »

I think the one that gave me a headache was his Solitairy Practioner. In Scott's case, it wasn't so much bad information as that there was zip in the way of a bibliography that didn't reference either another of his books or another Llewellyn author. And when I went to that book, the bibliography did the same thing. Pretty much there was no way of going more indepth on the things he wrote. I can't tell you how much that drove me insane.

I've actually never read that one, I went to buy it a couple of times, but I always found another book that looked more interesting. With my own inflated ego Grin I never really thought I need a book to tell me how to be a solitary practitioner. So many people recommended it though, I thought I should give it a chance. Now that I know it's pretty much just a rewrite of a combination of some of his books and some other books I've probably already read, I think I'll skip it. Thanks for saving me $15.00!  Wink

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #68: October 21, 2008, 11:29:02 pm »

I've actually never read that one, I went to buy it a couple of times, but I always found another book that looked more interesting. With my own inflated ego Grin I never really thought I need a book to tell me how to be a solitary practitioner. So many people recommended it though, I thought I should give it a chance. Now that I know it's pretty much just a rewrite of a combination of some of his books and some other books I've probably already read, I think I'll skip it. Thanks for saving me $15.00!  Wink

I've had fundamental problems with Cunningham's books on religion for years. However, most of my problem isn't with him per se, but people who pick up a couple of his books and have decided they're the be all and end all of what they need to study (you'll occasionally see me refer to him as St. Scott, and that's why). They're not. But, in fairness to Scott, I don't think that was ever his intention. I always have to mention my concerns when his books come up. There are problems, yes. Unfortunately, he died before any updates or corrections could be made.

So while I'm very, very careful in recommending his stuff, and really don't care for the two books, I also know that my main problems probably aren't really with him. The problems with the bibliography, though, are standard through Llewellyn's stuff. It's a real issue.

Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: October 22, 2008, 12:25:24 am »

I've had fundamental problems with Cunningham's books on religion for years. However, most of my problem isn't with him per se, but people who pick up a couple of his books and have decided they're the be all and end all of what they need to study (you'll occasionally see me refer to him as St. Scott, and that's why). They're not. But, in fairness to Scott, I don't think that was ever his intention. I always have to mention my concerns when his books come up. There are problems, yes. Unfortunately, he died before any updates or corrections could be made.

So while I'm very, very careful in recommending his stuff, and really don't care for the two books, I also know that my main problems probably aren't really with him. The problems with the bibliography, though, are standard through Llewellyn's stuff. It's a real issue.

Sounds fair - BTW I hate it when you can't really verify info or research deeper into a book too. It's unusual for any author to write a book that doesn't leave me asking a few questions.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #70: October 22, 2008, 07:10:35 am »

Sounds fair - BTW I hate it when you can't really verify info or research deeper into a book too. It's unusual for any author to write a book that doesn't leave me asking a few questions.

I think that drove me away faster than just about anything else. Well, that and the fact that what I was reading wasn't standing up well at all to information about the Greeks from other sources. It took me about two months to realize there was no way I was going to go down that road, so I started looking at other options. In a way, I guess I should be grateful. Two months reading/research beats the hell out of two years.

mollimizz
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 11:46:45 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: November 01, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »

After Cunningham (just for informational purposes) I'd recommend C. Penczak's Inner Temple of Witchcraft.  As the title suggests, it focuses on honing 'inner' work as a prerequisite and preparation for doing any operative 'outer' work.  The early chapters focus on meditation, visualisation, and energy work; an excellent way to build a foundation if these practices are new to you. 

I've got seven of Cunningham's, I like to read him for reminders (I have a hard time remembering stuff sometimes-long story for later).
 I've also got Penzcak's "Inner" and "Outer" temple books and his "Instant Magick" accompanied by the
cd's that go along with them (thanks Jet wherever you are!).
 I also love Dorothy Morrison BOS and Deborah Lipp's Way of Four & Way of Four Spellbook which I use alot (I'm into the Elementals right now)
 I hope you have a chance to at least look at some of these...?
  Gentle Indigo Light
     Mollimizz

"Books contain words;
 trees contain energies and wisdom
 books never dreamt of."
 author unknown

Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: November 01, 2008, 08:01:46 pm »

I've got seven of Cunningham's, I like to read him for reminders (I have a hard time remembering stuff sometimes-long story for later).
 I've also got Penzcak's "Inner" and "Outer" temple books and his "Instant Magick" accompanied by the
cd's that go along with them (thanks Jet wherever you are!).
 I also love Dorothy Morrison BOS and Deborah Lipp's Way of Four & Way of Four Spellbook which I use alot (I'm into the Elementals right now)
 I hope you have a chance to at least look at some of these...?
  Gentle Indigo Light
     Mollimizz

I tend to read just about anything I can get my hands on (admitted bookworm), just because you never know what you can get from a book, any book, no matter how much trash the book consists of. All it takes is one sentence (that speaks to you) to make you look at life in a different way, even if the particular sentence wasn't written the way you take it.....and I'm rambling.  I have read a few of Cunningham's other books, and TBH I don't care for pre-written spells, but if I come across come across any of these, chances are that I'll at least thumb through them. All books deserve at least a passing glance. I've never read Penzak's books. They sound interesting....I'lll have to look for them. Thanks.

fatalperfection
Journeyman
Last Login:September 14, 2010, 03:46:05 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan... with wiccan elements

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #73: February 23, 2009, 11:48:31 pm »

I am new and in the "clueless and/or misinformed by bad 101 books" stage  I picked up a book by Silver RavenWolf To Ride A Silver Broomstick. However, after reading a few chapters I found alot that didn't make sense with the little know ( I don't claim to know much as I am just starting out) and some of what I was reading just didn't seem logical. So I am back trying to find a decent book for a beginner.  I would appreciate some suggestions on where to start.
Thanks,
Ella

Yeah I have not read Silver Ravenwolf but read enough quotes to know she probably isn't the best writer, especially from a starting position...

As for wicca, I very much like Scott Cunningham's books. Pretty straightforward and doesn't put too much dogma in there. For paganism in general, as someone said... "Drawing Down the Moon" is very good as far as I've read. Seems fairly accurate and unbiased...

PM me if you like! I would love to meet other pagans in my area (AZ)... I am basically neo-pagan with a tendency towards eclectic wicca, but I am open to anybody!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)