The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 05:07:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 05:07:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Computer magic?  (Read 11296 times)
Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 09, 2008, 07:33:43 pm »

I'm not sure whether this is the best section for this, and if there's been a thread I missed when I searched for this topic, please direct me to it.

Does anyone here incorporate their computer into their magic, or use magic on their computer? I spend enough time on mine that I'd like to start, but I have absolutely no clue how I might go about that. My laptop is warded, in a general this-is-an-entry-point way, but beyond that I don't even know where to start.

An introduction to the subject of magic and the computer is what I'm looking for, I guess, or personal experience with it -- basically just a jumping-off point of any kind.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 09, 2008, 08:20:22 pm »

Does anyone here incorporate their computer into their magic, or use magic on their computer? I spend enough time on mine that I'd like to start, but I have absolutely no clue how I might go about that. My laptop is warded, in a general this-is-an-entry-point way, but beyond that I don't even know where to start.

What kind of stuff do you do not on the computer? That's probably where I'd start.

Stuff I do:
- Name my computer, and have it be something relevant to the kind of work I normally do on it. (My computer is named Esoterica, and my iPod is named Polyhymnia, which is also a really horrible pun I couldn't resist - but seriously, most of what's on her is religiously relevant music.)

- desktop images that reflect my current ritual focus. Sometimes they're seasonal. Sometimes they're related to a particular topic of focus (when I was doing elemental attunements, I did elemental ones, for example.)

- iTunes playlists (well, any other program works, too) that focus on different  topics. I have playlists for every Sabbat, for each element, and for various ongoing projects/magical workings/etc. I have going. I have them going whenever it's appropriate.

- One of our current group projects is about the use of music in ritual. One variant on this I've done in the past is an unguided meditation: music for each element, with items to pass around/touch/smell/taste while the music is playing, and markers/crayons/paper to draw with if people got inspired that way. It turned out to be a very good ritual, and I'm interested in exploring other options with that kind of format. Doing it on computer would be easier in some ways than making a mix CD and playing it.

- Record keeping, etc. This one's probably self-explanatory, but I consider records a magical act in and of themselves.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 09, 2008, 08:21:49 pm »

My lappy is an integral part of Gwyddon rituals that I participate in (due to necessity). It has a crystal talisman attached to it's power cord, and there is a similar crystal inside the case of my desktop. Cheesy

Yes I have used magic on my computers. Yes it has worked. No I can't explain how I do it LOL.

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 09, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »

Yes I have used magic on my computers. Yes it has worked. No I can't explain how I do it LOL.

What sort of magic did you do?

And haven't Cill members used candle images on the computer like when they're at work? I remember reading that somewhere...

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 09, 2008, 08:50:59 pm »

What sort of magic did you do?

I've mostly done magic to get/keep my computer working properly. Cheesy

Psimon
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 09, 2008, 09:10:35 pm »

What kind of stuff do you do not on the computer? That's probably where I'd start.
A lot with herbs and a good deal of cooking, neither of which seems immediately applicable to the computer.

Stuff I do:
- Name my computer, and have it be something relevant to the kind of work I normally do on it. (My computer is named Esoterica, and my iPod is named Polyhymnia, which is also a really horrible pun I couldn't resist - but seriously, most of what's on her is religiously relevant music.)
Ha, oh dear, I love that your iPod is called Polyhymnia.

- iTunes playlists (well, any other program works, too) that focus on different  topics. I have playlists for every Sabbat, for each element, and for various ongoing projects/magical workings/etc. I have going. I have them going whenever it's appropriate.

(snip)

- Record keeping, etc. This one's probably self-explanatory, but I consider records a magical act in and of themselves.
I do both of these already -- a matter of perspective, I guess, as to whether they're magical acts, so thanks for mentioning and putting them into that perspective.
Psimon
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 09, 2008, 09:13:15 pm »

I've mostly done magic to get/keep my computer working properly. Cheesy

Now that would be useful. Seeing as I tend to make problems worse through mundane computer-fixing efforts, though, I think I'll avoid that.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 09, 2008, 09:27:35 pm »

A lot with herbs and a good deal of cooking, neither of which seems immediately applicable to the computer.

Are you trying to learn more about specific herbs or expand your range? What about finding photos of them to use as desktop images? (Or creating an image you could use, like a photo down one side, and some info in a nice font down the other?) I find having things pop out as I move windows, etc. helps keep my attention focused on that thing.

And while you're right taht they're not directly related to the computer - do you participate in any forums related to either herbs or cooking? You can explicitly do that as part of your other magical or ritual work. (For example, when I'm doing certain kind of computer work, I use specific playlists, minimise everything else, and do other stuff to help me focus on my intention.)

I do both of these already -- a matter of perspective, I guess, as to whether they're magical acts, so thanks for mentioning and putting them into that perspective.

The playlists, in particular, are - I do have non-religious focused ones, but there are times I'll just have a specific magic-focused one on endless repeat. (Easier when there's several hours of music in there, I admit.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 09, 2008, 10:58:32 pm »

I'm not sure whether this is the best section for this, and if there's been a thread I missed when I searched for this topic, please direct me to it.

An introduction to the subject of magic and the computer is what I'm looking for, I guess, or personal experience with it -- basically just a jumping-off point of any kind.

I've participated in circles by chat. In my online group we did a very effective exorcism and banishment ritual in this way. I send and receive energy through the computer. I recently did a protection charm on our home computer, and have always had one on my work machines. I have magic playlists and much of my BOS in my witchy file. I consider the 'puter to be a magical tool like all my other ones.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Psimon
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 10, 2008, 02:21:46 pm »

Thanks; all of this gives me a much better handle on what I might do and on how what I already do might fall under the heading of computer magic.
Jabberwocky
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2018, 01:03:39 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Post-Chaote

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 10, 2008, 08:33:49 pm »

It's a bit broader then what you're asking for, but you might like Techgnosis: Myth, Magic + Mysticism by Erik Davis.

People who talk about revolution and class struggle without referring explicitly to everyday life, without understanding what is subversive about love and what is positive in the refusal of constraints, such people have a corpse in their mouth.
(Raoul Vaneigem)
Psimon
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 10, 2008, 08:47:18 pm »

It's a bit broader then what you're asking for, but you might like Techgnosis: Myth, Magic + Mysticism by Erik Davis.

Thanks -- I'm always up for book recommendations.
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 10, 2008, 10:16:32 pm »

Thanks -- I'm always up for book recommendations.

The author has a website here - I've read some bits on it and they were nifty.

WyrdWillow
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 26, 2008, 09:49:38 pm

Religion: Pagan, Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 12, 2008, 02:32:41 pm »

If there were a Greek God patron of computers, it would be Hermes  Smiley

I have my book of shadows on my mac.  I cannot imagine how people did one with paper and pencil, and kept it organized!
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 12, 2008, 05:11:10 pm »

I cannot imagine how people did one with paper and pencil, and kept it organized!

Typewriter and lots of sheet protectors and index tabs.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)