The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 07:30:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 07:30:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Computer magic?  (Read 17890 times)
Lyikos
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 24, 2009, 11:22:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Chaos Magic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: June 27, 2008, 10:58:18 pm »

Does anyone here incorporate their computer into their magic, or use magic on their computer?

I found that a game called The Sims 2 can be used for chaos magic, you can carry out rituals in it, especially if you download user a lot of made-mods (which I did). It's great for ritualistic sigil charging, you can use the terrain modding tool to paint sigils in your character's backyard.

I also occasionally have my computer play music and display imagery relevant to the ritual.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: July 12, 2008, 09:53:24 am »

Does anyone here incorporate their computer into their magic, or use magic on their computer?

I once belonged to another pagan forum that got hacked, and after getting hacked each year for three years and losing everything I was getting fed up of this, so did a protection spell.  That was three years ago, and it hasn't been hacked since.

The spell involved printing out the front page of the forum and tracing a boundary around it with dried nettles in oil.

I should do something for my boyfriend's computer, as since we moved into the new place together last October he's had nothing but trouble with it, and I'm currently on library computers as the broadband is down.

Funnily enough, my computer (which has a hole at the back I've been meaning to cover) is fine, but since it was made about 13 years ago even if I could get a modem to connect up to the net it would go slower than a snail.
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #32: July 12, 2008, 12:15:01 pm »

I'm wondering if programming one yourself would make it resonate more and therefore be more accurate. Smiley

Never tried tarot (I like my Faerie Oracle deck, for now), but how effective would it be to perhaps simply set up your tarot playlist and put it on random playback until you had a full tarot spread from it?   

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #33: July 12, 2008, 12:22:22 pm »

Never tried tarot (I like my Faerie Oracle deck, for now), but how effective would it be to perhaps simply set up your tarot playlist and put it on random playback until you had a full tarot spread from it?   

I've been experimenting with this. I'm still working on the playlist, it's not complete, but I have put subtitles on the songs I've chosen so far, for ex. "Passing Clouds" by Susie Ibarra is the song I chose for Princess Swords, and I put that notation on the song title. But they are on my ipod, anyway. I have noticed they tend to come up when I'm thinking about something related to them, but i have not done anything more directed with them yet. Since I'm not playing with a full deck, I don't think it's reliable yet Cheesy

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #34: July 12, 2008, 08:27:41 pm »

The one problem I see with it is that depending on what you're using for playback, "random" isn't necessarily random.  An iPod, for example, will automatically weight its choices according to what you've listened to most. 

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #35: July 12, 2008, 09:17:27 pm »

The one problem I see with it is that depending on what you're using for playback, "random" isn't necessarily random.  An iPod, for example, will automatically weight its choices according to what you've listened to most. 

I didn't realize that.  I don't have an iPod, so my random playlist is generally handled by Winamp, which I don't THINK weights what you listen to most frequently heavier than what you tend to skip.  Interesting fact, however. 

Off-topic, if that's the case, how on earth did the iPod shuffle become so popular?  I thought the appeal of the shuffle was that it was random, not that it built an algorithm over time to play your favorite music more!

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #36: July 12, 2008, 11:12:07 pm »

but you can fix that in your preferences before you do a reading. Also, the songs I picked are all songs I like a lot and listen to frequently-I *want them to come up a lot, when I'm listening randomly.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #37: July 12, 2008, 11:13:06 pm »

Off-topic, if that's the case, how on earth did the iPod shuffle become so popular?  I thought the appeal of the shuffle was that it was random, not that it built an algorithm over time to play your favorite music more!

shuffles are a lot simpler than nanos or any of the other ipods, they are more truly random, if you set it up that way to begin with.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: July 13, 2008, 03:17:45 am »

I'm not sure whether this is the best section for this, and if there's been a thread I missed when I searched for this topic, please direct me to it.

Does anyone here incorporate their computer into their magic, or use magic on their computer? I spend enough time on mine that I'd like to start, but I have absolutely no clue how I might go about that. My laptop is warded, in a general this-is-an-entry-point way, but beyond that I don't even know where to start.

An introduction to the subject of magic and the computer is what I'm looking for, I guess, or personal experience with it -- basically just a jumping-off point of any kind.

So far I've heard a lot of great suggestions.  The only thing I've ever done is research and write.  I did have a lot of my thoughts down, and had started a website on paganism at one time, which is currently back under construction.  I also had what could be called a BoS (it was mostly just notes, nothing really substantial, I'm one of those pen and paper types, I like to be able to take my writing with me when I want to).

Although, if you think of it, the internet gives you an instant "connection" to whoever you are talking to, and would, theoretically, make it easier for you transfer your energy to that person for whatever purpose.  The line is already established, thus taking that part of the process out of the way.  I'll have to try that with some workings I've been doing, might make things a bit less complicated, especially since some of those I have been trying to work with are so far away.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #39: July 13, 2008, 04:05:57 pm »

but you can fix that in your preferences before you do a reading.

No, you can't.  The closest you can come is to reset the play count of every song on the list to zero using iTunes, but that requires having your computer handy. (And I'm not 100% sure that works as well managing an iPod through iTunes as it does when just managing the music library on your computer--it should, but I'm not 100% certain.)  There is no place on the iPod's menu to reset play counts or make the shuffle more random.  At least, not on my iPod (I just went and checked), which is fairly new even as such devices go and up-to-date on all its updates and everything.  You can change the "randomness" of the shuffle in iTunes's preferences, but not on the iPod.

YMMV for other similar devices, of course.  I don't know how other MP3 players or programs handle their shuffles.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #40: July 13, 2008, 10:50:57 pm »

No, you can't.  The closest you can come is to reset the play count of every song on the list to zero using iTunes, but that requires having your computer handy. (And I'm not 100% sure that works as well managing an iPod through iTunes as it does when just managing the music library on your computer--it should, but I'm not 100% certain.)  There is no place on the iPod's menu to reset play counts or make the shuffle more random.  At least, not on my iPod (I just went and checked), which is fairly new even as such devices go and up-to-date on all its updates and everything.  You can change the "randomness" of the shuffle in iTunes's preferences, but not on the iPod.

YMMV for other similar devices, of course.  I don't know how other MP3 players or programs handle their shuffles.

I was thinking of setting the play count to zero on that list, yes. I think it would play that way just on that list on the ipod, but not sure-where the song was in play count on other lists might make a difference. I guess another way to do it would be to do just the higher arcana and burn a cd, playing it on a cd player on shuffle.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: July 14, 2008, 12:24:38 pm »

Definitely - that's how I've done my readings.  It does take awhile, so I tend to do spreads that don't have many "cards".

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: July 14, 2008, 12:25:32 pm »

I was thinking of setting the play count to zero on that list, yes. I think it would play that way just on that list on the ipod, but not sure-where the song was in play count on other lists might make a difference. I guess another way to do it would be to do just the higher arcana and burn a cd, playing it on a cd player on shuffle.

I think you can adjust randomness on Winamp - I just do my readings on my computer.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: July 14, 2008, 12:27:48 pm »

I recently remembered something else I've done.  At one point, I made a pixel forum signature (on another forum) of the kind of job I wanted.  I figured since everyone reading threads would see it when I posted, it would accumulate energy.  The sig "theme" that month was our greatest wish in the new year - I guess the whole thing could be seen as magical.

shadow flame
Apprentice
Last Login:November 08, 2009, 05:28:56 pm
Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: August 12, 2008, 12:45:43 pm »

computer magick?
well, for anyone that has some experience with radionics you can use "cyber shaman". it's radionics software  Grin
http://www.occult-underground.com/radionics.html
few tips how to use it:
trend is intent
target is... well... target
central image is symbol of energy that you would draw off.
right panel image- i have no idea wtf is that. i'm still trying to figure it out.
power level- this adjusts how much power your pc pours in spell (it seems that cybershaman makes cpu busy)
to use it- creator suggests achieving super mental clarity, then pressing "set" button. after that, achieving mental clarity and pressing "send button"
not bad program, i'm still fooling around with it. so far i've had some minor successes with it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:17:33 am by RandallS, Reason: Link Fixed » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)