The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 15, 2019, 12:34:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 12:34:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paganism and Magic  (Read 16647 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 13, 2008, 03:42:06 pm »

Don't worry about it; I could tell by the context what you meant.  I just didn't want you to use that terminology somewhere else and be surprised because someone was offended.  It was definitely out of fashion in the U.S. before the late '90s; I wonder if this is a difference of British and American English?  Perhaps some of UK members could comment on this?

I was born in '89, and was always taught never to say 'coloured'. That may have just been my family, though, but it's not a word that I have heard get a lot of usage (apart from my grandad, but he's in his 70s and that's just a generation thing). I was always brought up to say black and white. Obviously 'African-American' isn't used in the UK! Lol.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #46: June 13, 2008, 03:51:38 pm »

Don't worry about it; I could tell by the context what you meant.  I just didn't want you to use that terminology somewhere else and be surprised because someone was offended.  It was definitely out of fashion in the U.S. before the late '90s; I wonder if this is a difference of British and American English?  Perhaps some of UK members could comment on this?

Sperran
I've just turned a few dictionaries around (I don't own that many, dictionaries are expensieve), there are several explanations:

Maybe my school used old books or books that haven't been carefully revised. Maybe I just remember wrong because we haven't discussed it very thoroughly and the word for 'coloured' in German ('farbig') is still used for people of African heritage, while the word for 'negro' (in German 'Neger') is considered a slur. The one I looked up in when you mentioned the problem first was a German-BE one, but not a big one with long explanations, so maybe they simply didn't bother to write 'derog.' in brackets. (Now I will get something better once I earn some money.) I have an old DCE from 1987 however, that does list 'coloured' with 'derog.' in brackets.

Do you know why it is considered insulting? Since the same word is still used in German I'd like to know.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: June 13, 2008, 04:03:12 pm »

Do you know why it is considered insulting? Since the same word is still used in German I'd like to know.

Well I can only speak from one person's perspective, but a friend of mine in college said to me that he thought it was insulting because we are all 'coloured' as it were- he was black, I was white. They're both colours (a scientist may disagree with me there, but I'm not talking from a scientific perspective lol). If a white person isn't coloured, then what are they? He said he could only come up with one answer: normal. You were therefore either normal, or coloured, and that wasn't fair. That's why he personally prefered to use black and white.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #48: June 13, 2008, 04:04:58 pm »

I was always brought up to say black and white. Obviously 'African-American' isn't used in the UK! Lol.
Neither here. We also say 'Schwarze' (= 'blacks') along with 'Farbige' (='coloured people'), I just thought it was interchangeable in AE. Maybe it's also a matter of how 'hot' a topic is in a country. In Germany are not as many people of African heritage as in the US, so the topic doesn't get discussed that often, and so maybe we are a bit blind-eyed here. I know it's a shame.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: June 13, 2008, 04:06:33 pm »

I think part of what you're running into, too, is there is an American tendency to be really sensitive to racial issues considering our past history with slavery. I've seen this come up here on TC before.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 13, 2008, 04:08:32 pm »

Well I can only speak from one person's perspective, but a friend of mine in college said to me that he thought it was insulting because we are all 'coloured' as it were- he was black, I was white. They're both colours (a scientist may disagree with me there, but I'm not talking from a scientific perspective lol). If a white person isn't coloured, then what are they? He said he could only come up with one answer: normal. You were therefore either normal, or coloured, and that wasn't fair. That's why he personally prefered to use black and white.
Oh, thanks. I think that's a good reason. Greet him from me if you like.

Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 13, 2008, 04:19:49 pm »

Oh, thanks. I think that's a good reason. Greet him from me if you like.

I thought it was a pretty good reason, too. We are all different colours- actually, I'm kind of pinkish at the moment from being in the sun too long   Cheesy

Unfortunately I've not spoken to him in a while, as he moved away to University and then I came over to the US.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 13, 2008, 04:23:28 pm »

I think part of what you're running into, too, is there is an American tendency to be really sensitive to racial issues considering our past history with slavery. I've seen this come up here on TC before.
So I'm not the first ignorant European crashing into this?

I've just read a book about 'The Rise and Fall of Slavery in the New World' by an American author (David Brion Davis). I noticed that he used the word 'blacks', but didn't know that 'coloured' was out of date. He didn't explain the terms because he couldn't know that I would read his book and just miss it that way. Maybe I was too busy trying to sort out the events of 3 centuries and more that I just didn't thought enough about the terms. It's really an awsome book though, whish I could get the knowledge by intravenous infusion instead of two weeks of reading and still missing some stuff. *sigh*

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #53: June 13, 2008, 04:37:31 pm »

Nope. Not at all. It happens maybe once a year or so. Sometimes it gets ugly because the poor person doesn't pick up quickly that there's an almost knee jerk reaction that many Americans have to the racial stuff. It also sometimes shows up when someone from outside the US comes in and starts talking about racial purity...then you get the slavery and Nazi reactions.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: June 13, 2008, 04:40:59 pm »

In 1992 it probably was the correct term to use, but no so much nowadays.

Not really. Well, maybe depending on where you lived at the time. But even in my uber-racist hometown, that term fell out of favor in the 60s.
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: June 13, 2008, 04:55:35 pm »

Not really. Well, maybe depending on where you lived at the time. But even in my uber-racist hometown, that term fell out of favor in the 60s.

I think it was in the '60's that Blacks made it clear what they preferred to be called.  Of course, my father still uses nigger, and spic, and wop......... Shocked
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #56: June 13, 2008, 05:27:40 pm »

Neither here. We also say 'Schwarze' (= 'blacks') along with 'Farbige' (='coloured people'), I just thought it was interchangeable in AE. Maybe it's also a matter of how 'hot' a topic is in a country. In Germany are not as many people of African heritage as in the US, so the topic doesn't get discussed that often, and so maybe we are a bit blind-eyed here. I know it's a shame.

Speaking from another European background - it passes under the radar here a lot of the time. I really didn't have the impression that racism towards blacks (there are different issues with arabic and Turkish populations) was that much of an issue here... Until I got a boyfriend who was half Surinamese (some of you might remember him from my "Bloodpoisoning is sexy" signature Wink ). Most of us white people here live in nearly exclusively white populations, so you won't run into things. My boyfriend, however, can tell several stories of times when he nearly got beat up over his skin color, and has very specific preferences on what he wants to be referred to, based on things I didn't really think happened here because I never saw any of it.

And then, of course, it gets complicated by the fact that those preferences differ by the country, so you can't just translate the terms that are okay in your country and assume they're okay in another country. My boyfriend is really sensitive about the term "zwart", which literally translates into black, since it is *the* number one name people would call after him in the schoolyard and in the streets to taunt him.

--Chabas
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #57: June 13, 2008, 05:32:10 pm »

Not by a long shot. Even Americans can have trouble keeping up as the preferred usage has changed several times in just my lifetime.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: June 13, 2008, 08:03:25 pm »

And then, of course, it gets complicated by the fact that those preferences differ by the country, so you can't just translate the terms that are okay in your country and assume they're okay in another country. My boyfriend is really sensitive about the term "zwart", which literally translates into black, since it is *the* number one name people would call after him in the schoolyard and in the streets to taunt him.

I think that is such a valid point. I've not only found that it can differ from country to country, but that it can sometimes differ from region to region in the same country.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #59: June 13, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »

It isn't simple.  I think that Juniper and Lyric both touched on possible reasons.  I would also throw in the possibility that words that were formerly acceptable were rejected in favor of the unifying term "Black" when "Black Pride" and "Black Power" become culturally and politically relevant.  African-American came into vogue for much the same reason that Juniper mentions that the term "colored" was rejected.  Lots of "Black" people in the U.S. aren't really black...but rather mocha, dark tan, burnt sienna, etc.  However, at least at present, using the term "Black" is typically considered acceptable in most circles.

Sperran

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)