The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2021, 11:46:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2021, 11:46:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Altar pictures  (Read 48354 times)
GordianOwl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 03:41:46 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: not at all sure

currently in lurk mode

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: August 29, 2007, 09:27:44 am »

If you have pictures of your altar(s) and would not mind sharing them here, please do. 

This thread is great, it's really amazing how creative and beautiful your altars all are!

So here comes mine (sorry for the partly bad quality, didn't find better pics at the moment).

Altar pic 1

Altar pic 2

Altar pic 3

There's a shrine for Athena but otherwise it's just an assortment of things like stones or feathers I've found, a bowl of sand I brought from Austin, Postcards, etc...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: August 29, 2007, 05:14:18 pm »

There is another thread in Pagan Religions 101 where people are describing the altars they have at home.

Here is my personal altar to Aphrodite: http://www.cauldronfarm.com/josh/aphroditebox.jpg

-- Joshua

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: August 29, 2007, 05:46:02 pm »

Here is my personal altar to Aphrodite:

I don't think I've seen a box used as an altar like that before. It striking me as a very interesting idea.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Freiya Lakshimi
Last Login:March 04, 2008, 01:01:12 pm
Brazil Brazil

Religion: Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: September 01, 2007, 01:27:22 pm »

I loved this idea of showing off pictures of the altars... They are so beautifull.. mine is much smaller (it's in the top of a bureau... I wish I had more things and a better place to put everything...

But I loved your pics!!!
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: September 01, 2007, 11:58:14 pm »

I don't think I've seen a box used as an altar like that before. It striking me as a very interesting idea.

I agree, Randall.  It has the same effect a frame has on a picture: providing depth, focus, and order.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: September 02, 2007, 12:02:29 am »

I agree, Randall.  It has the same effect a frame has on a picture: providing depth, focus, and order.

And could be done very easily and inexpensively with milk crates or something similar.  Also, easy to store away in a closet or under a bed if necessary.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: September 02, 2007, 02:35:08 am »

And could be done very easily and inexpensively with milk crates or something similar.  Also, easy to store away in a closet or under a bed if necessary.

That is just a roughly knocked together wooden box with scrap fabric stapled to it. We do have two in milk crates, and two others in heavy cardboard boxes draped in fabric. I can hardly count how many altars we have in the house... around twenty five? Aside from the seasonal altar in the kitchen, they are each to a specific deity. Most of them are on bookshelves, but just about anything that you can stick some knick-knacks on is in danger of eventually becoming an altar.

The Aphrodite box is the only one that is actually mine though, which is why I have a picture of it.

-- Joshua

Hannibal
Journeyman
Last Login:March 02, 2010, 01:58:41 pm

Religion: Kemetic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: September 16, 2007, 10:53:56 pm »

Hey i don't have an actual altar at home i have a mental sanctuary i go to before sleep comes to me. It helps me avoid nightmares and connect to my gods. Does that count at all?

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."-Emiliano Zapata Salazar. Translation-It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
 ego mos reperio a via vel ego mos planto unus Translation-I will find a way or I will make one
http://dragcave.net/user/Hannibal
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #38: September 16, 2007, 11:16:45 pm »

There is another thread in Pagan Religions 101 where people are describing the altars they have at home.  I enjoyed reading these descriptions, but pictures would be even better.  If you have pictures of your altar(s) and would not mind sharing them here, please do.

Sorry about the long wait for pictures, here they are. Inside the box are all my things for the Major Olympians, as well as a small cherub statue to Eros. My cat was carrying it off so it got put in there, now that it's up higher I just haven't taken it out. Sitting on the end of the tie is my cameo, my best crystal, and a laurel leaf. I've been meaning to move the candles back to my chest (A big version of the one on my altar; Daddio got them for me on his last tofd over in Iraq), but I've also been meaning to do everything under the sun. My room is still unorganized... Ah well.. At least the altar's pretty.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z152/AIONIA/SummerMiscellaneous2162.jpg?t=1189998671
aarligbyrd
Apprentice
Last Login:June 08, 2010, 03:40:59 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: September 17, 2007, 01:44:22 am »

Thanks for the thread, I love pictures. It is so fun to see what other folks have done! Hunny Bunny (my husband) loves to take pictures of the altars I set up so we've got several on hand. I put a page on my website with them;

http://www.secondcityarts.com/altars.htm

Now, I have 7 planets in Cancer, love pictures and am one of those awful people who will instantly show strangers pictures of my grandkids. So be forewarned, I have pictures of the main Altar and permanent Elemental Altars, special temporary spell altars, holiday altars........

Those are absolutely gorgeous :-D

I love the awesome iconography that has been present in so many of the pictures :-D

I don't have anything set up atm but hopefully when my bf and I move to our own place I will be able to make space for at least a small shrine.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: September 17, 2007, 08:47:10 am »

My room is still unorganized... Ah well.. At least the altar's pretty.

VERY nice, IMHO.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #41: September 17, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

VERY nice, IMHO.

Thank You! My favorite thing is probably Apollo's tie; I bought it at Wally World, because it has instruments all over it, then realized it was supposed to be religious. Thankfully it doesn't mention G-O-D, though it does say "How great thou are." which has always tickled me.
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: September 17, 2007, 12:15:37 pm »

Those are absolutely gorgeous :-D

Thank you! I know everyone would love to see a picture of your shrine when you get the space.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: January 20, 2010, 07:09:20 pm »

Here is my description from the "All about altars and shrines" thread:

It's on top of my dresser. My Odin idol sits towards the back or off to the side, until I'm inspired to bring him out to the middle at times. I've got a neat gold and stone dish thing that holds a votive candle perfectly. That's in the middle. Off to the right are extra candles. On the left is a red embroidered box that has extra incense and trinkets in it (stones I bought of collected, shells, an old pendulum). There's a wood carved box in front of that with my never-used tarot cards in it. lol. And on top of that is a small, simple, black, three-footed dish/plate that I bring to the middle to burn incense on or put offerings on, depending on the size. It holds a clementine perfectly! Smiley Finally, I have a rune amulet I made hanging from one of the dresser drawer pulls.

I also have a picture and a Vermeer print on top of my dresser. They don't hold specific religious value, but I happened to put them there, the meaning behind them actually coordinates, and I have nowhere else for them at the moment!

It's strictly devotional. The candle in the middle gets lit every morning as I get dressed, and then I spend as much time as I can spare in front of it before I leave. I greet the gods, often thank the land wights for the weather, and say hey to the ancestors. Etc. I might meditate on the candle flame for a moment or two. I see lighting the candle every morning as a sort of sacrifice or offering. And then whenever I'm inspired I'll put an offering on there. We got clementines over the holidays and I put one up for a few days; I feel that went over well! I put up green apple vodka before that, and it sort of made my room smell like I was an alcoholic. lol. I don't always have an offering up there, though.

I'm not too much into the whole altar trappings. A candle and idol or two, plus any pretty stuff I find or offerings I want to put up, and I'm pretty good. It would be neat to have an outside altar, though, to leave food stuff specifically. Right now I try to pour liquids underneath the oak in our front yard, but it's kind of a hassle. I'd like a little space right outside the back door. lol.
I should also mention the dresser my altar is on belonged to my great-grandmother, which I think pretty apt! Smiley

Here are some pictures of my totally-not-impressive altar!
- A long shot. You can see the rune pendant and the dresser. And I also have a book called 365 Tao which I sometimes (although not lately) read from in the mornings.
- A closer shot. The orange juice is for Thor, as I bloted to him to ask for inspiration as I embark on an exercise plan. Tongue The shells on top of the wood box have been there for a while... I should probably switch them out with something else.
- A shot of the pin oak in our front yard I usually pour liquid offerings under. Not really an altar, but I love it. It's right outside my bedroom window. Isn't it great!?

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Ampelios
Apprentice
Last Login:February 01, 2010, 01:15:57 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: January 21, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »

Here is my description from the "All about altars and shrines" thread:
I should also mention the dresser my altar is on belonged to my great-grandmother, which I think pretty apt! Smiley

I like your altar! It is simple and yet has that sacred vibe. I also like the tree.. very nice. =)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)