The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2020, 11:42:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 11:42:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gender of Deities  (Read 5856 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 23, 2008, 11:42:59 pm »

This thread was inspired by What Gender Deity do you respond to most and why thread.

How do you differentiate between male and female deities?  Is it based of the form this deity appears to you as?  Intuition/a certain energy?  Both?

Also, do you think the gods think of themselves in terms of gender.

To answer my own questions: both and the gods only know for sure.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: June 24, 2008, 08:29:40 am »

How do you differentiate between male and female deities?  Is it based of the form this deity appears to you as?  Intuition/a certain energy?  Both?

Well, the deities I deal with tend to be from the Greek pantheon, which has a fair amount of documentation available to help with this sort of thing.  Wink  So I tend to draw from that, I guess.  It's not something I'd consciously thought about.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 24, 2008, 12:15:17 pm »

I haven't really thought about it.  I basically know because of myths and images of Them I've found.

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 14, 2008, 07:26:04 pm »

I'm reigniting this thread in response to the AGAOG thread here.

I think how we differentiate between genders of deities is probably largely through the myths and precedents set within the culture they originated from (another question... do gods originate from cultures?!). I also think there is a certain difference in energy that people like to interpret as "male" or "female."

As for if the gods interpret *themselves* as having gender, I really don't know. That kind of implies that gods tend to associate themselves as "human" or at least as a living thing on Earth, where gender is important for reproduction. I'm really not sure how "humanized" the gods actually are, or if we are just so biased because that is our experience. Or do they just go along with the gender connotations because they realize that's an easier way for us to understand them?

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 14, 2008, 07:59:26 pm »

I'm reigniting this thread in response to the AGAOG thread here.

I think how we differentiate between genders of deities is probably largely through the myths and precedents set within the culture they originated from (another question... do gods originate from cultures?!). I also think there is a certain difference in energy that people like to interpret as "male" or "female."

As for if the gods interpret *themselves* as having gender, I really don't know. That kind of implies that gods tend to associate themselves as "human" or at least as a living thing on Earth, where gender is important for reproduction. I'm really not sure how "humanized" the gods actually are, or if we are just so biased because that is our experience. Or do they just go along with the gender connotations because they realize that's an easier way for us to understand them?

That's a very good question! I myself think that They feel that we humans would more easily understand Them if They appeared in human form and as specific genders. I myself would probably get a bit flustered if, say, Zeus, appeared to me as a woman, simply because of the way that He has appeared in Greek myth and culture. But then again, as you pointed out, maybe that is our own human bias at work here. So that puts me back to square one.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 14, 2008, 08:17:51 pm »

That's a very good question! I myself think that They feel that we humans would more easily understand Them if They appeared in human form and as specific genders.

That makes probably the most sense.  While I tend to think of them in a certain way, I also see them as having no set form and being able to appear as they please.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 14, 2008, 09:51:04 pm »

This thread was inspired by What Gender Deity do you respond to most and why thread.

Since I deal mainly with the ancient Egyptian deities this isn't difficult. There is a duality. There is usually a male / female counterpart to each.  The creator Gods are usually genderless although they may be represented as one gender as in the case of Khnum (male) or Neith (female).
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: December 14, 2008, 10:09:44 pm »

As for if the gods interpret *themselves* as having gender, I really don't know.

At least according to myths, the Greek deities seem to think of themselves as having gender.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 15, 2008, 08:31:43 pm »

Are we talking about sex (biology) or gender (sexual identity) here?  If it's sex, then might I suggest a peek under their togas?   Wink  Kidding aside, I usually just go with the traditional views of a deity as far as the naughty bits go.   

With a couple of notable exceptions, I tend not to differentiate gender in deities, unless the deity demands it.  Gender is so subjective and culturally biased that it's difficult for me to think of deities in those terms.  In terms of their energies, most of them feel androgynous to me, some mix of masculine and feminine energies. 

To throw a few more questions onto the pile: Should we judge the gender identity of deities based on our contemporary ideas about gender? Or, in the case of recons, based on the original cultural context?  Are the deities even subject to gender identities as a general rule or are they above such labels and distintions?

I think, for the most part, only the deities know that answer.  However, if I were to place a bet, I'd say that certain deities do think of themselves in terms of both sex and gender (Cernunnos springs to mind). 

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 15, 2008, 08:36:54 pm »

Are the deities even subject to gender identities as a general rule or are they above such labels and distintions?

They are above them, but we aren't. To reiterate what has been said above, I think that it is us humans who sometimes feel the need to give deities a specific gender. I think it makes the Gods easier to relate to (I don't know about another people, but I very much like to have a mental image of my Gods in my mind when in ritual/prayer, and gender definitely helps to make that possible).

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
skybyrd
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 am

Religion: Feral Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 22, 2008, 09:11:04 am »

I work with three deities, one that is female, one that is male, and one that is both. 

Its not what I assigned them, its what they told me they are.  I don't know whether or not thats for my benefit, but to me it doesn't make a difference.  That is how they are presenting themselves to me, so who am I to argue?  Cheesy

Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 02, 2009, 11:36:56 pm »

I don't see the gods as having genitalia, so they have no physical sex (male or female). They have what humans label as masculine and feminine qualities, and this gives us a sense of their gender. I think we just represent them as whatever sex best represents them and their functions, but they don't have a literal sex or gender.
Balakirev
Journeyman
Last Login:November 08, 2009, 10:01:39 pm

Religion: Witch. non-practicing Gardnerian. Shamanistic.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 02, 2009, 11:43:04 pm »

If a god in question appears to me in some anthropomorphic form, I assume it has the gender appropriate to that form.

If it doesn't take a physical form, it doesn't matter to me.

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 03, 2009, 12:22:52 am »

For me, the 'Godhead', 'Divine Source' or 'Great Mystery' as I usually call it, that unifying Super-Consciousness that ties everything together is genderless, formless and faceless.

The Gods and Goddesses are Gods and Goddesses, but I would probably call sexless or androgyne or hermaphroditic deities Gods much like I usually end up referring to Goddesses as Gods (it gets kind of Star Trekkian where everyone is 'Sir'). Some may change Their shapes or forms or faces, but by and large They have chosen to communicate to us as male, female or androgynous/hermaphroditic. Some do shift, but I haven't had much exposure to any that do it regularly. Dionysus likes to dress in drag and Cybele has appeared before me as Agdisthus, Cybele's original hermaphroditic form.

Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 07, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »

How do you differentiate between male and female deities?  Is it based on the form this deity appears to you as?  Intuition/a certain energy?  Both?

Well, the deities I worship have pretty well defined genders. I'm pretty sure that Zeus wouldnt to happy to be addressed as a female.
I am fairly certain they too have genders amongst themselves but they arent quite as clearly defined in their relations with one another, hence the amount of gay and bisexual encounters that do not result in a god or goddess being labeled homosexual.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)