The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2022, 04:41:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2022, 04:41:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Music?  (Read 11346 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: June 28, 2008, 09:26:26 pm »

I have a lot of troubles finding these artists..
Where do you find their music?

Could you be more specific about which artists you're having trouble with?  I ask because some of them, like Loreena McKinnett, should be fairly easy to find, so I'm wondering if maybe it's just some of them that are giving you problems.  It'll probably be a lot easier to give you links to a few artists than the whole list.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 29, 2008, 03:39:33 am »

I have a lot of troubles finding these artists..
Where do you find their music?

As Star says, it'd be helpful if you were more specific - usually Googling on the artist name will get you more info, though.

Looking quickly at the list: about half are available through iTunes or another online download service. (In all cases, you can also order a CD through other means, too.)

Many of the rest, you'd need to order either from the artist, or from somewhere else. Many are on Amazon, but I usually order CDs from Serpentine Music (http://www.serpentinemusic.com/) which is Pagan-owned and Pagan-run, and I'd rather order within the community. Or from one of my local esoteric stores, Eye of Horus (http://eyeofhorus.biz) which has the music I'm most inclined to of my local options.

And some of them show up in local big-box book/music stores: the British folk music groups, for example, or (at least around here) the Scandinavian groups.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
eden
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 18, 2008, 10:58:44 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Tempus Vernum

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 10, 2008, 05:26:26 am »

Some bands for a more heathen perspective are:
Amon Amarth

I am a walking paradox when it comes to music, both pagan and otherwise.

I love and listen to Enya, Loreena McKennitt, and Castalia all the time. But, just as soon as the CD is over, I can flip to Amon Amarth and be brutally ripping some air-guitar riffs to incredibly awesome Viking death metal.

Amon Amarth is one of the few metal bands I listen to and enjoy, if for the only reason that their lyrics aren't just 'blood blood blood! gloom! death!' but they actually try and tell a story, usually of Norse origin. I enjoy that immensely.

Let's see, other music I enjoy: A little bit of hip-hop with Aesop Rock, some 90s dream-pop from the band The Moon Seven Times (my favorite band of all time, bar none), and on occasion some post-rock instrumentality along the lines of Explosions in the Sky or My Dad Vs Yours.

Music is good times. I've picked up some good recommendations from this topic alone. Thanks guys!

We are only brought into this world as seeds, knowing only what it is to be subject to cast about on a frothing sea of never-willed forces, and only some of us shall have the good fortune to be washed far enough ashore to know what it is to bloom, and discover our original purposes unfathomable to those that are endlessly adrift.
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 14, 2008, 11:37:26 am »

What is your favourite type of music?  Genres, artists, etc?

My type of music is fairly non broad, I mostly tend to stick to metal, gothic metal, symphonic metal, viking folk metal, bands like Within Temptation, Nevermore, Iced Earth, Ensiferum and Scar Symmetry, but I also enjoy some classical and also Celtic music, my favorite being Loreena Mckennit and Enya.

There is only METAL!  JK

Some bands for a more heathen perspective are:

Tyr
Turisas
Ensiferum
Eluveitie
Amon Amarth

and

Man O War (although it is the "Charmed" of asatru and generates alot of Bezerker wannabes, it is still really good)

Ditto!!!  Nice choice of bands there!!  I listen to all of those also! (listening to Amon Amarth at the moment actually)

Amon Amarth is one of the few metal bands I listen to and enjoy, if for the only reason that their lyrics aren't just 'blood blood blood! gloom! death!' but they actually try and tell a story, usually of Norse origin. I enjoy that immensely.

If you like music with somewhat of a story, I would suggest to you to check or Ensiferum or perhaps Blind Guardian, both of which are not the 'blood blood blood! gloom! death!' music that you dislike (I don't like it much either haha!).  Not all their songs are stories but they are really great!  Youtube has a LOT of Blind Guardian so that will be easy to check out!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:44:50 am by Alastriona » Logged
Lumara
Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2008, 09:05:41 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan/Lightworker

Goddess of the Holler

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 15, 2008, 06:44:50 pm »

I know it's an older CD now, but as far as pagan music goes, I love Gypsy's "Enchantress." A very metaphysical, uplifting CD that is another old favorite is Denean's "The Weaving." Both women were extremely inspired when they created those.  Smiley

Singing and drumming and dancing in the hollow
Where we go few mortals can follow.
The fae are in the sacred grove,
The sprites are in the creek.
Be still and listen - you may hear them when they speak.
Medwyn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 24, 2008, 08:52:27 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 24, 2008, 10:49:36 pm »

For me I am a big fan of neofolk stuff, usually some of the stuff coming out of Europe. 

Qntal, Omnia, Monica Richards, etc.

So, how about you? 

Lates
Cassius23

My knowledge of Pagan musicians is pretty limited ... I like Michelle Mays, Spiral Rhythm, and some Gaia Consort.  Some of the latter's songs just don't do it for me, as the themes aren't ones I personally agree with, but to each their own.  I also like Loreena McKennit (sp?) and other little odds and ends I've managed to pick up over the years.

The rest of just music in general, I am very eclectic.  It all depends on what mood I'm in.  I just LOVE the RENT soundtrack, but then also listen to Enya, My Dying Bride, Type O Negative, NIN, Shinedown, Sheryl Crow, Tracy Chapman, Josh Groban, and classical. 

I'm not into rap or hip hop, or most of the stuff my kids listen to!  Cheesy
KHarkless
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 24, 2011, 02:49:02 am

Religion: scientific pantheism, of sorts

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 03, 2008, 01:53:09 am »

I am, right now, listening to "A Darker Shade of Pagan'" podcasts which I download every week.

I don't have a lot of actual Pagan music, but I love this podcast and it's helped me discover some artists who I think really rock. My favorite recently was Akron/Family.

I typically listen to a lot of rock and folk music, but my first love is classical choral music. One of my favorites is a secular piece which is Pagan-friendly. I've sung the same text set by two different composers and it's beautiful. "Sure on this shining night"- Samuel Barber, Morten Lauridsen
Mehnea
Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2008, 03:55:15 pm

Religion: Spiritual

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 10, 2008, 03:45:53 pm »

I'm eclectic myself but if you have an iPod tune into 'A Darker Shade of Pagan'. You can also find them on myspace and get some awesome tunes off there.

You can not expect wisdom or to be wise if you've not allowed yourself to live.
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 12, 2008, 02:02:05 am »

I love all types of music. I don't really listen to anything that is strictly Pagan, though there are some bands who are Pagan that I like, like Faun and Faith & the Muse. I listen to a lot of heavy metal, with my favorites being Kamelot, Nightwish, Rammstein, etc. I love Goth music. I love the blues, and could listen to it all day/night long. I love Celtic music and Medieval/Renaissance music (Blackmore's Night is a favorite). I'm a belly dancer, so I listen to a lot of Middle Eastern music. And I also like opera and classical and movie soundtracks.

The main types of music that I don't listen to are country and rap/hip hop.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 24, 2008, 07:41:23 pm »

I'm into symphonic metal, and with some of the bands, mythology comes up quite a bit. I'm also a composer, and even though my music isn't specifically Pagan, certain themes do come through at times.

@RhiannonWhiteMare - I'm really into Kamelot and Nightwish, too!

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Dem
Apprentice
Last Login:May 21, 2015, 04:20:59 pm
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Panentheistic Syncretic Neo-Pagan Witchcraft
TCN ID: Dem

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 26, 2008, 03:34:37 am »

I'm an alternative metal kinda gal, at the moment.

I recently saw Disturbed in concert, with Alter Bridge (yes!) and POD (mm I like some songs) as the warm up bands, lol. Disturbed is probably my favourite group.

Other bands that feature on my iPod: A Perfect Circle, Airbourne, Breaking Benjamin, Drowning Pool, Faith No More, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Rage Against the Machine, Seether, Soil, Tool.

However, summer has started here, which means it'll be all about reggae/dub/funk/soul - the music you can chill out to while lying on the beach with a beer. I'm a big supporter of Kiwi music in this regard: Fly My Pretties, Katchafire, Kora, Salmonella Dub, Tahuna Breaks, The Black Seeds!

Pagan-wise, most of the stuff I like has already been mentioned by Jenett!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)