The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2020, 07:40:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 07:40:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Afterlife  (Read 6718 times)
Hannah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2012, 03:43:34 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan (learning)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 25, 2008, 08:35:10 pm »

I'm terrified that this topic has already been posted, but as far as I've looked I can't find a previous post... at least, a recent one. Please let me know if this is just cluttering the forum and I'll be happy to delete it... I don't want to be a nuisance... ):

What are everyone's views on afterlife? It's a topic I have not looked very far into and I find that my resources are rather lacking in the topic. Forgive me if I'm extremely ignorant on this... ugh I already feel like I'm going to get highly criticized for this.
Does anyone believe in ascension...? Enlightenment? Reincarnation? Do certain kinds of Paganism have certain views on afterlife? Or is it considered something that will remain a mystery until after death?
As you can see I'm very undereducated on this topic. Please excuse me for that. Dx

And thank you for reading this!
Hannah

Like one, that on a lonely road     
     Doth walk in fear and dread,    
And having once turn'd round, walks on    
     And turns no more his head:    
Because he knows, a frightful fiend    
     Doth close behind him tread.

-"Rime of the Ancient Mariner," Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

JenniferK
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:35:27 am

Religion: Paganism

Just hangin' in there!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 25, 2008, 08:56:11 pm »

I'm terrified that this topic has already been posted, but as far as I've looked I can't find a previous post... at least, a recent one. Please let me know if this is just cluttering the forum and I'll be happy to delete it... I don't want to be a nuisance... ):

What are everyone's views on afterlife? It's a topic I have not looked very far into and I find that my resources are rather lacking in the topic. Forgive me if I'm extremely ignorant on this... ugh I already feel like I'm going to get highly criticized for this.
Does anyone believe in ascension...? Enlightenment? Reincarnation? Do certain kinds of Paganism have certain views on afterlife? Or is it considered something that will remain a mystery until after death?
As you can see I'm very undereducated on this topic. Please excuse me for that. Dx

And thank you for reading this!
Hannah

I think it will be a type of spiritual recycling of some sort, with every individual spirit going through their own process of renewal.

Everything else in nature recycles in some way... why would the spiritual experience be any different?...

Death, imho, is simply another of Life's transformations.

Blessings!

Jennifer Adele K

Jennifer Adele K
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 25, 2008, 08:58:58 pm »

Yes.  Does that answer your question?   Grin

Different traditions have radically different beliefs regarding afterlife, and TC is a very eclectic group of people.  Personally, my thoughts on the afterlife are VERY strongly influenced by the amazing What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson.  It is very loosely related to the film of the same name, but the novel is much more a philosophical text than it is a work of fiction, and it really changed the way I think about life, death, rebirth, and damnation (Matheson believes that there is a hell, but that it is born of our own minds believing that we "deserve" to be there, and that the Deity wants us to be free from this place).  This is a book I can't recommend enough to anyone remotely interested in the philosophy of death.

So, while I believe it must-needs remain a mystery until death (after all, there's no way to empirically prove the afterlife), I do believe in "ascension," as you put it, as well as reincarnation (both by necessity and by choice in order to continue through the cycle, as Jennifer mentioned).

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Hannah
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 25, 2008, 09:15:08 pm »

Yes.  Does that answer your question?   Grin

Different traditions have radically different beliefs regarding afterlife, and TC is a very eclectic group of people.  Personally, my thoughts on the afterlife are VERY strongly influenced by the amazing What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson.  It is very loosely related to the film of the same name, but the novel is much more a philosophical text than it is a work of fiction, and it really changed the way I think about life, death, rebirth, and damnation (Matheson believes that there is a hell, but that it is born of our own minds believing that we "deserve" to be there, and that the Deity wants us to be free from this place).  This is a book I can't recommend enough to anyone remotely interested in the philosophy of death.

So, while I believe it must-needs remain a mystery until death (after all, there's no way to empirically prove the afterlife), I do believe in "ascension," as you put it, as well as reincarnation (both by necessity and by choice in order to continue through the cycle, as Jennifer mentioned).

Very interesting. Thanks so much for your opinion! (:

Hannah
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 25, 2008, 09:16:23 pm »

I think it will be a type of spiritual recycling of some sort, with every individual spirit going through their own process of renewal.

Everything else in nature recycles in some way... why would the spiritual experience be any different?...

Death, imho, is simply another of Life's transformations.

Blessings!

Jennifer Adele K

I suppose I agree with almost all of what you just said (if not all of it in its entirety). Of course, I am very eclectic and still looking around for whatever suits me most right. Thanks so much for your input!

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 25, 2008, 09:20:09 pm »

Fallingleaf -

We don't have a problem with duplicate threads, as long as there isn't one currently going on about it.  So don't worry about that.

HOWEVER - if you think something might be a rule violation, please ask the staff before you post, instead of posting and hoping it's okay.  We're happy to check and help you try to figure out how to do something correctly, if there's a problem.  But we get irritated if someone realizes they might be crossing the line and does it anyway. Smiley

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Hannah
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 25, 2008, 09:25:10 pm »

Fallingleaf -

We don't have a problem with duplicate threads, as long as there isn't one currently going on about it.  So don't worry about that.

HOWEVER - if you think something might be a rule violation, please ask the staff before you post, instead of posting and hoping it's okay.  We're happy to check and help you try to figure out how to do something correctly, if there's a problem.  But we get irritated if someone realizes they might be crossing the line and does it anyway. Smiley

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff.

Gotcha! Thank you very much! Wink

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 25, 2008, 09:40:32 pm »

* snip *

I am a believer in Hellenismos, and we have many interesting debates within our religious community about what happens to the soul after death. People joke about it, but it's true: Ask 10 Hellenic Pagans about the Afterlife, and you'll get 12 different answers.

My opinion? I share the view of the ancient Chaldean Oracles. Hermes will guide me to Hades' kingdom when I die. I'll give Kharon the Ferryman a coin, and he'll bring my soul across the rivers of the Underworld.

On the far shore, I will stand before the Goddess Hekate, and await Her judgement. Three roads lead away from the Goddess: The road to Elysium (a good place), the road to Tarterus (a not so good place), and the road to reincarnation. Where She sends me depends on how I've lived my life. No soul remains anyplace permanently.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 25, 2008, 09:44:49 pm »

On the far shore, I will stand before the Goddess Hekate, and await Her judgement. Three roads lead away from the Goddess: The road to Elysium (a good place), the road to Tarterus (a not so good place), and the road to reincarnation. Where She sends me depends on how I've lived my life. No soul remains anyplace permanently.

Interesting and, besides the goddess standing in judgment part, not too far off from my own beliefs.  I guess it shows my own ignorance that I didn't realize Hekate and Hermes were the gods who met mortals upon their crossing of the river, but I'm very happy to have learned this today.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
dethas
Apprentice
Last Login:October 01, 2008, 10:45:20 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 26, 2008, 12:24:12 am »

oo this is interesting and challenging to me!

I understand Hades and Hecate to be my patron god and goddess. However, I believe in a complete mish mash when it comes to the afterlife. I believe that the soul reincarnates to a different, hopefully better life.

But, and here's the confusing bit, I also think that the cycle of life can also be halted at any time by a form of enlightenment that lifts us beyond the physical plane and on to a different, lighter form of... well, non existence. It's here that we'll get to become at one with the Universal Power that could even be called God or Yahweh or any other name of power.

mmm - I think, Buddhism got me first no? lol
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 26, 2008, 12:53:58 am »

I am a believer in Hellenismos, and we have many interesting debates within our religious community about what happens to the soul after death. People joke about it, but it's true: Ask 10 Hellenic Pagans about the Afterlife, and you'll get 12 different answers.

Heck, there are even Hellenic Pagans who's beliefs are so convoluted that they consider it another point in their list of reasons of why they don't consider themselves Recons Cheesy

I'm not sure what I believe in.  I do believe in an afterlife of some kind.  I believe in ghost haunting locations/objects/people as well as reincarnation.  I believe in what could be called "The Underworld" but I'm not quite sure about paying the ferryman or being unable to leave.  I also have a belief in souls being brought to justice in the afterlife (namely those who escaped justice in life).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Rorigon
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 18, 2011, 01:11:55 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 26, 2008, 02:30:25 am »

Well, my beliefs are still very much up in the air right now; but at the moment I feel that when we die, at least if we're 'good' people(still don't know how to define 'good', nor what happens if you aren't.. Embarrassed ) we go to a place like Tir Na Nog, or Elysium(perhaps it changes to make each person comfortable?) for as long as one wishes.   At any time, we may choose to reincarnate back into this universe, but there is no cosmic law forcing us to do so.

Kind of a muddled belief, I know.... but it's still a work in process!    Wink
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: June 26, 2008, 12:27:51 pm »

What are everyone's views on afterlife?

I believe that there is no afterlife.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 26, 2008, 01:43:33 pm »

What are everyone's views on afterlife?

I think there is one but it is not that infantile,idealic place many have been told exists as children. There is, in my view, no place filled with pastel colors, puffy clouds, rainbows and butterflys nor are there bunnies and fawns romping around, no candies falling from trees and angels with pink gowns fluttering by.

I think when one dies, you are on your own. You can go anywhere at the speed of light and maybe there are others you can pal around with for a bit but as far as the fantasy goes..I do not think any of it exists.

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 26, 2008, 02:12:50 pm »

Jennifer Adele K

I'll go along with JenniferK. My views are pretty complex so I won't go into it all, but basically I believe there is a kind of "soul recycling" going on.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)