The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 02:34:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 02:34:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Stories Behind Your Symbols  (Read 9230 times)
Ligeia
Apprentice
Last Login:August 29, 2008, 07:56:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 28, 2008, 03:56:08 pm »

According to this it's a Christian symbol.

ha that is funny because I have seen a few pagan online stores selling that symbol on lot's of merchandise b/c it was from charmed.

“No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly.” - Oscar Wilde

Drinking without being thirsty and making love at any time, Madame, are the only things that distinguish us from other animals.  ~Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais, The Marriage of Figaro, 1784, translated

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 29, 2008, 08:59:21 am »

ha that is funny because I have seen a few pagan online stores selling that symbol on lot's of merchandise b/c it was from charmed.

Well, keep in mind that many different belief systems use the same symbols. Sometimes they have wildly different meanings in each system, sometimes the meanings are similar; and sometimes the symbols are borrowed by one system from another.

The symbol in question is known in mathematics as a trefoil knot, the simplest "non-trivial" knot (I don't pretend to understand knot theory, which is a whole branch of mathematics, but there it is). Here's a bunch of Google search pics:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=trefoil%20knot&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

As a symbol, it's often called a triquetra, and according to Wikipedia--so take this with a grain of salt--it's a symbol used in ancient pagan and neopagan religions, as well as Christianity (they even mention the use in Charmed):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triquetra

Undoubtedly, any system that has some sort of triple deity or threefold aspect to its beliefs--and there's a lot of those in human cultures!--could and likely did employ this symbol or something like it.

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 29, 2008, 10:54:49 am »

Pretty much any triple symbol will show up on pagan stores, as a representation of "the" triple goddess.  This one was showing up long before Charmed.  It's popular because it's Celt-y.  (I hadn't been aware of it's Norse association with Odin.) 

And anything "3 in 1" has been used by Christians to represent the trinity.  So it's hardly surprise that this one shows up so often in both settings. 

BTW, this symbol is also the one used to represent John Paul Jones on Led Zeppelin's fourth, untitled, album.  (Music geek struggling to the surface, sorry!   Cheesy)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 29, 2008, 11:44:18 am »

BTW, this symbol is also the one used to represent John Paul Jones on Led Zeppelin's fourth, untitled, album.

Yeah, the Wikipedia entry mentioned something about that too.

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 29, 2008, 03:04:24 pm »

So now the real question is....where did the people from Scooby-Doo find this symbol, and I wonder which definition it was used under either brimstone or the pontifical cross of satan........... Something to ponder anyway

By "Scooby-Doo People" I assume you mean the writers and/or artists - well, writers and artists are usually more creative and often off-beat no matter how mundane the day job.  Wink

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 09, 2008, 02:43:36 am »

According to this it's a Christian symbol.
Thanks for looking it up, I've yet to learn some English geometrical vocabulary to use that site.

I remember a Catholic gothic church which had a few colorful circle-shaped windows which looked a bit like mandalas. Don't remember the exact motives of them though, but they were remarkably pretty.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 09, 2008, 03:07:51 am »

I remember a Catholic gothic church which had a few colorful circle-shaped windows which looked a bit like mandalas. Don't remember the exact motives of them though, but they were remarkably pretty.

It has more than 3 rays though:

Münster of Freiburg (Germany), 13th century

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: July 09, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »

It has more than 3 rays though:

Münster of Freiburg (Germany), 13th century

Rose windows. I love them.

http://therosewindow.com/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 10, 2008, 02:59:06 am »

Rose windows. I love them.

http://therosewindow.com/
I loved to just sit in that church for a few silent minutes to look at one of those windows. (There was a second one if I remember correctly.) But I live in a protestant city now and the old churches have lost their colorful windows in the reformation, so I haven't been rose windows meditating for a long time.

Caelesti
Journeyman
Last Login:October 14, 2011, 05:20:57 pm

Religion: Celtic/Hellenic Polytheist, ADF, UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 20, 2008, 09:38:59 pm »

Well, keep in mind that many different belief systems use the same symbols. Sometimes they have wildly different meanings in each system, sometimes the meanings are similar; and sometimes the symbols are borrowed by one system from another.
As a symbol, it's often called a triquetra, and according to Wikipedia--so take this with a grain of salt--it's a symbol used in ancient pagan and neopagan religions, as well as Christianity (they even mention the use in Charmed):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triquetra

It's also called the Trinity knot.
Maddy
Apprentice
Last Login:September 29, 2008, 03:30:26 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: atheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 02, 2008, 02:17:10 pm »

Does anyone else have a favorite symbol that has a neat background or maybe have a strange story to go along with a symbol? Please share!!!

I always loved the yin and yang symbol. I love it because it's simple and cirkular, and the concept behind it that describes two opposing and, at the same time a complementary object.
I want to have a tatoo with it, but I haven't decided where.
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 03, 2008, 09:49:56 pm »

Pretty much any triple symbol will show up on pagan stores, as a representation of "the" triple goddess.  This one was showing up long before Charmed.  It's popular because it's Celt-y.  (I hadn't been aware of it's Norse association with Odin.) 

And anything "3 in 1" has been used by Christians to represent the trinity.  So it's hardly surprise that this one shows up so often in both settings. 

BTW, this symbol is also the one used to represent John Paul Jones on Led Zeppelin's fourth, untitled, album.  (Music geek struggling to the surface, sorry!   Cheesy)

There is a three armed Celtic symbol http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/14/1419.html, sometimes called a triskelion.  Although I think the word triskelion may be Greek.

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 04, 2008, 06:29:04 am »

Does anyone else have a favorite symbol that has a neat background or maybe have a strange story to go along with a symbol? Please share!!!
  My favorite symbol is the ankh and the pentagram/pentacle. Here's my favorite necklace:

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Jericho Gray
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 14, 2008, 07:57:02 pm

Religion: Green Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 06, 2008, 01:27:52 am »

My favorite symbol is the ankh and the pentagram/pentacle. Here's my favorite necklace:

Oooh, very nice. I love Ankhs...

Ha ha, its a fun word to say, too.

You think, but you're not plywood. -Happy Noodle Boy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)