The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 02:25:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 02:25:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Name that baby!  (Read 25877 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: July 08, 2008, 08:29:23 pm »

So the newest member of the Sperran family is due about 2 months from now, and we still have no name.  Choosing a name the last time around was very difficult, and we literally had one boy's name that we both found acceptable (which makes looking for a new boy's name even more difficult).  So, I am scrounging for suggestions.  If you all have any ideas for a baby name, please feel free to contribute first and/or middle name ideas.  Here are a few guidelines that should make the task a little easier:

1.  The ultrasound tech wasn't able to determine gender, so we are looking for both girl and boy names.

2.  We like unusual names, but prefer names that are easy to spell and pronounce.

3.  We absolutely do not want a traditional name spelled in a non-traditional way (e.g. Cindy spelled Sindee, or David spelled Day-Vud).

4.  Bonus points if the name has a cool literary or historical connection.

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 08, 2008, 09:28:48 pm »

So the newest member of the Sperran family is due about 2 months from now, and we still have no name.  Choosing a name the last time around was very difficult, and we literally had one boy's name that we both found acceptable (which makes looking for a new boy's name even more difficult).  So, I am scrounging for suggestions.  If you all have any ideas for a baby name, please feel free to contribute first and/or middle name ideas.  Here are a few guidelines that should make the task a little easier:

1.  The ultrasound tech wasn't able to determine gender, so we are looking for both girl and boy names.

2.  We like unusual names, but prefer names that are easy to spell and pronounce.

3.  We absolutely do not want a traditional name spelled in a non-traditional way (e.g. Cindy spelled Sindee, or David spelled Day-Vud).

Sperran

Honor, after Honor Harrington in the Weber SF series. It's a female character.

Delenn from Babylon 5, or Ivonava also. 

Got a lot of names that will be easy to spell in Hebrew along with English from my relatives.

Tevia after my father and the lead character in Fiddler on the Roof. 

Lena, meaning "light", probably in Yiddish. Also my grandmother's sister.

Esther.

Ruth.

Ephriam.

Celia / Tzelia.  It might mean cedar, but not sure.

Celia, or Tzelia. 

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: July 08, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »

Honor, after Honor Harrington in the Weber SF series. It's a female character.

Delenn from Babylon 5, or Ivonava also. 

Got a lot of names that will be easy to spell in Hebrew along with English from my relatives.

Tevia after my father and the lead character in Fiddler on the Roof. 

Lena, meaning "light", probably in Yiddish. Also my grandmother's sister.

Esther.

Ruth.

Ephriam.

Celia / Tzelia.  It might mean cedar, but not sure.

Some of these are really cool.  I especially like Ephraim and Celia.

Sperran
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 08, 2008, 10:09:04 pm »

Some of these are really cool.  I especially like Ephraim and Celia.

Sperran

Those were the names of my mother's parents.  Ephriam is also mentioned as part of the traditional Friday night blessing of the children. 

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 08, 2008, 10:25:58 pm »

So the newest member of the Sperran family is due about 2 months from now, and we still have no name. 
Just some random thoughts... Smiley

Boys:
- Leon
- Dmitri (or Demetri, may be easier to spell?)
- Grant
- Lysander (from A Midsummer's Night Dream and a Greek name)
- Bjorne (too hard to spell?)

Girls:
- Autumn (personal fave)
- Margot
- Helene (variant of Helen, as in 'of Troy'! lol. I think Helen sounds a little rough, however.)
- Fiona

Boys or Girls Name:
- Paris (again, could be as in Troy...)
- Ray or Rae

A name site I love: www.behindthename.com I go here when I'm having trouble finding a name for a character I'm writing.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 09, 2008, 07:29:51 am »

Sperran

Well, they are traditional but also unusual now:  Stanley and Victor.  THere are no other child Stanley's in my son's school system.  There's maybe 2 VIctors in the high school.  More Victoria, but not near so many of the male version.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: July 09, 2008, 07:44:46 am »

For girls--some of the ones I liked but couldn't get past Hubby were Chloe, Thea (which was going to potentially be short for Althea, or maybe just stand on its own), Clea, Tabitha, and Helena.

Unfortunately, we never did come up with a boy's name, so I don't have a lot of suggestions there; we were going to default to Nathaniel if necessary because it sounded similar to the girl's name we'd decided on, but we didn't even have a middle name...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 09, 2008, 11:23:17 am »

Well, they are traditional but also unusual now:  Stanley and Victor.  THere are no other child Stanley's in my son's school system.  There's maybe 2 VIctors in the high school.  More Victoria, but not near so many of the male version.

I wouldn't be able to suggest either of those names.  I have living relatives with those names, and no dead relatives with the names.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 09, 2008, 11:40:33 am »

I wouldn't be able to suggest either of those names.  I have living relatives with those names, and no dead relatives with the names.

Isn't that a Jewish tradition, naming after dead relatives, and not after live ones?  I was really just pointing out that there a traditional names that are very unusual now.    Besides, if the newest SPerran is not a relative of those living relatives of yours, what's the problem with you suggesting them?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: July 09, 2008, 11:45:05 am »

A name site I love: www.behindthename.com I go here when I'm having trouble finding a name for a character I'm writing.

I love that site too and use it for the exact same purpose that you do.

Now to get back on topic:

I don't plan on having kids so I gave my characters names that I like.

The most unusual names probably go to my ancients (Ahmose, Nefertari, Argyros and Amarante to name a few) or to foreign characters whose names are less unusual and normally variations on English names.  I think my favorite might be Izaak which is a Polish version of Isaac.

There are also Ivan and Anton which isn't used much in the US and is easy to both spell and pronounce.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 09, 2008, 11:50:45 am »

I love that site too and use it for the exact same purpose that you do.

Now to get back on topic:

I don't plan on having kids so I gave my characters names that I like.

The most unusual names probably go to my ancients (Ahmose, Nefertari, Argyros and Amarante to name a few) or to foreign characters whose names are less unusual and normally variations on English names.  I think my favorite might be Izaak which is a Polish version of Isaac.

There are also Ivan and Anton which isn't used much in the US and is easy to both spell and pronounce.

My future son in law is names IVan. He's 7, and adorable.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 09, 2008, 12:01:16 pm »

Isn't that a Jewish tradition, naming after dead relatives, and not after live ones?  I was really just pointing out that there a traditional names that are very unusual now.    Besides, if the newest SPerran is not a relative of those living relatives of yours, what's the problem with you suggesting them?

You are correct on the tradition.

If I suggest those names, or names of other living relatives, it's in reference to my relatives and sort of naming the kid after them. Bad juju.

If you suggest the name the kid would be named after your suggestion. 
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: July 09, 2008, 12:47:40 pm »

You are correct on the tradition.

If I suggest those names, or names of other living relatives, it's in reference to my relatives and sort of naming the kid after them. Bad juju.

If you suggest the name the kid would be named after your suggestion. 

as I understand it, it's basically saying that you'd like the person to be honored dead, yes?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #13: July 09, 2008, 12:52:48 pm »

Isn't that a Jewish tradition, naming after dead relatives, and not after live ones? 

This is an Ashkenazic, but not Sephardic tradition.  Since my rabbi comes from a Sephardic background, I'm probably not so opposed to naming after a living person as Peter.

Sperran
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 09, 2008, 02:23:59 pm »

I came up with a huge list for possible character names a couple years ago. These are the ones I'd actually name someone in real life.

Boys: Orion, Adair (boy or girl), Alexis, Caelan
Girls: Adair, Nathalie, Aria, Artemis, Carina, Celeste, Corinne, Elena, Guinevere, Rowan, Cailin

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)