The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 05, 2020, 06:32:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 05, 2020, 06:32:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Name that baby!  (Read 24987 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: July 20, 2008, 07:55:41 pm »

Really?  I'd never heard of a boy named Artemis until the book series.  That's kinda cool. Smiley

Granted, I knew about the name "Artemus" but I still think of a female when I hear the name.  Plus, it's a different spelling. Wink

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 10, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #61: July 20, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »

Really?  I'd never heard of a boy named Artemis until the book series.  That's kinda cool. Smiley

I know, it's funky!  It rings so Victorian, too.  Cheesy
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #62: July 20, 2008, 08:20:42 pm »

I know, it's funky!  It rings so Victorian, too.  Cheesy

Very steampunky...probably why they had a male Artemus in Wild, Wild West. Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: July 20, 2008, 09:15:46 pm »

Very steampunky...probably why they had a male Artemus in Wild, Wild West. Cheesy

Artemus in Wild, Wild West pre-dates steam punk by probably 20 to 25 years.  The show was on from 1965 to 1969.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: July 20, 2008, 09:40:33 pm »

I think Christina's still a good name, plus the singer who bares it has (to my knowledge) been keeping a low profile.  But Miley -- who in their right mind would name their child that!
Miley wasn't her real name, although she legally changed it recently from some hokey, country-sounding name (Destiny? Hope? I forget.). Billy Ray called her "Smiley Miley" as a nickname when she was a kid, and the Miley part stuck!

lol. I only know these things because I hear the celebrity gossip on the radio!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: July 20, 2008, 09:47:55 pm »

Artemus in Wild, Wild West pre-dates steam punk by probably 20 to 25 years.  The show was on from 1965 to 1969.

I totally thought the reference to it upthread was about the movie; I've never seen the show in my life.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: July 20, 2008, 09:55:38 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of the botanicals, but there are a few that I like...Rowan and Yarrow in particular. 

Sperran

One of the kids from shul is Rowan.  Nickname was pronounced row-row, although I always looked at being spelled like the big boxy ships RO-RO. 

http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/ships.asp?ship=168&type=LMSR

(yes, they call it a LMSR, but the type is LMSR RO-RO)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: July 20, 2008, 09:56:59 pm »

I totally thought the reference to it upthread was about the movie; I've never seen the show in my life.

Hmm. I thought the TV show had been mentioned as the source before the movie. Oh well, that's why thread continuity is so important.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #68: July 20, 2008, 10:01:32 pm »

Same here.  I never even heard of the TV show until now.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: July 20, 2008, 10:14:33 pm »

Hmm. I thought the TV show had been mentioned as the source before the movie. Oh well, that's why thread continuity is so important.

Starglade mentioned it, but it's so completely not a part of my cultural dictionary that I totally bypassed the "not Will Smith" comment, thinking she meant the other guy on the movie played him (I thought it was an odd comment at the time, but the TV show did not even occur to me).

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: July 20, 2008, 10:55:29 pm »

Starglade mentioned it, but it's so completely not a part of my cultural dictionary that I totally bypassed the "not Will Smith" comment, thinking she meant the other guy on the movie played him (I thought it was an odd comment at the time, but the TV show did not even occur to me).

my age is showing again. LOLOL :-)

I loved the show, I was in elementary school at that time. Ross Martin was Artemus Gordon, Robert Conrad (all 5'8" of him) was James West. That was one of the shows our whole family--Mom, Dad, and Mom's parents (the only grandparents I had)--could watch together and really enjoy.

I now end this drift and return the thread to its actual purpose.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: July 24, 2008, 02:06:06 am »

I've also always liked Tristan for either sex.  In fact, back when I thought I mights still have a child one day, I liked Tristan Donna for a girl and Tristan George for a boy.

Tristan Alexander.  I was totally stuck on that name when I was younger and thought it'd make a nice boys' name. 

For a girl: Alexi Marguerite.  I know its not a popular middle name but it was my grandmother's and this combination has been rolling around in my head for literally years.  (pronunciation: Marg-a-reet)

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: July 24, 2008, 09:32:45 am »

Miley wasn't her real name, although she legally changed it recently from some hokey, country-sounding name (Destiny? Hope? I forget.). Billy Ray called her "Smiley Miley" as a nickname when she was a kid, and the Miley part stuck!

lol. I only know these things because I hear the celebrity gossip on the radio!

It's Destiny, and where I am, there are no white Destinys, or very few at least.  And my Tatiana is about the only white nonslavic Tatiana around here tool.  My mother was convinced it was a black name.  No, Mom, we're spelling it with an I, not a Y and it goes well with Victor.  THen later a friend said you named them after the russian skaters, Victor and Tatiana, and ME:, there's a russian pair of skaters? Oh?  OH well. SO the next pair is the English Aristocracy.  The ONLY Stanley in the school district who is a student and not an employee not far from retirement.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #73: July 24, 2008, 10:37:29 am »

It's Destiny, and where I am, there are no white Destinys, or very few at least. 

I've met a couple around here.  (Although one is spelled all strangely--I forget how it goes now, but it comes out pronounced the same way, just looks odd.)

I didn't know Miley's name was originally Destiny.  I like Destiny better, myself; "Miley" is the one that sounds hokey-country to me.  *shrug*  To each her own, I guess.  (And Hannah is good enough, though I hate it paired with "Montana"!)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #74: October 12, 2008, 10:05:13 pm »

So, I just realized that I told staff, but failed to update this thread.  We eventually did name the baby, who was born August 30th, Caleb Elijah.  He took forever to get here (about 26 hours of active labor) but he's very healthy and we are both doing well.  He weighed 9lbs 9.4 oz, and was 21 inches long.   This is a picture from a couple of weeks ago:

http://picasaweb.google.com/janessadhall/CalebInSailorSuit?authkey=PNQskx5M82c#5256450795612046770

Sperran

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)