The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 08:16:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 08:16:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Deity as a Negative Influence?  (Read 5223 times)
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 09, 2008, 11:23:47 pm »

Have you ever experienced, or ever observed, a deity having any kind of negative influence on a person? Of course, one's answer might depend on what one means by "negative," and on whether one believes their gods are moral or amoral beings/forces, or whether such a thing would be more attributable to the mortal's behavior...just a sudden question that popped into my head not two minutes ago. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:43:23 am by Star, Reason: Making subject more specific. » Logged

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 10, 2008, 11:22:49 am »

Have you ever experienced, or ever observed, a deity having any kind of negative influence on a person? Of course, one's answer might depend on what one means by "negative," and on whether one believes their gods are moral or amoral beings/forces, or whether such a thing would be more attributable to the mortal's behavior...just a sudden question that popped into my head not two minutes ago. Smiley

I'm not so sure it is the deity so much as it is a person's response to what they belive a deity wants from them. Sometimes people can use a deity as an excuse for their behavior. The old "the Devil made me do it" kind of thing. 

There have been lots of cases of people harming themselves and others because they believe God or the Devil told them to do so.  God supposedly told Abraham to kill his only son...then cruely said, nah...just testing.

So I'm no Abraham. I left Christianity, and I would leave any other God as well if they asked such a thing of me. That's a great thing about being Pagan, there are always more Gods to choose from.

skybyrd
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 am

Religion: Feral Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 10, 2008, 06:46:24 pm »

That's a great thing about being Pagan, there are always more Gods to choose from.

May I use that for my signature?  I just about fell off my chair laughing, literally.  Cheesy

I don't have a serious reply to the topic, as I haven't quite finished thinking it through.  But I'm working on it. 

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 11, 2008, 12:11:45 am »

Well, that depends on whether you're willing to classify the following entity as a "deity:" Murphy.  As in Murphy's Law.

Because I've interacted with an entity who was the sentient animation of Murphy's Law (I hesitate to call it a personification or anthropomorphization) and I referred to this entity through UPG as Murphy.  As you can imagine, Murphy's interaction with me, including my attempt to appease the entity, yielded significant negative consequences for the following week or so.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 11, 2008, 02:37:34 am »

I've met someone on another board who refers to Loki as 'L*ki' because she fears he'd come when his name's called and something bad will happen.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: July 11, 2008, 08:29:40 am »

I've met someone on another board who refers to Loki as 'L*ki' because she fears he'd come when his name's called and something bad will happen.

Marvel's Thor Comics must have kept Loki very busy over the last 50 years or so.  Wink

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 11, 2008, 09:30:20 am »

May I use that for my signature?  I just about fell off my chair laughing, literally.  Cheesy

Oh, please do!  Glad I could brighten your day!  Cheesy
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 12, 2008, 03:57:26 am »

Marvel's Thor Comics must have kept Loki very busy over the last 50 years or so.  Wink
So he can't be at two places at once? Mhmm...we could write a lot of comics as 'God traps' for all the bad ones around the world. We could even do some fundie Christians a favor, keep the devil busy so he can't hurt them. Wink

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: July 12, 2008, 08:26:40 am »

So he can't be at two places at once? Mhmm...we could write a lot of comics as 'God traps' for all the bad ones around the world. We could even do some fundie Christians a favor, keep the devil busy so he can't hurt them. Wink

Can Loki be in two places at once?  I don't know, but even if he can, with thousands of people reading latest issue of Thor every month (not to mention people reading older issues), if he pays attention every time his name is mentioned, just the mentions in Thor comics (which used to be pretty frequent) are going to take a lot of time as people read them and read/say his name.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
skybyrd
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 am

Religion: Feral Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 12, 2008, 12:20:04 pm »

The experience that pops into my mind regards my husband and his dealings with Jehovah and Jehovah's Witnesses.  JW's have alot of not quite standard interpretations of the Bible that fit with what my husband had already decided about the Bible and its text.  However, in trying to follow Jehovah, he became a very unhealthy person, spiritually and emotionally.  He already had is issues, and those issues were magnified a hundred times when he was an active follower of Jehovah, and part of the JW organization.  While he was trying to fit the mold of what a man should be from the Bible, he wasn't a very likable person.  He was constantly fighting with himself, with his guilt of not being the perfect follower, and he became sharp and extremely judgemental.  It was only when he broke with Jehovah and the JW organization that he started to heal from all the trauma he had in his life.  It took my husband almost 8 years after leaving the JW organization to return to spiritual and psychological health as a confirmed Agnostic.  Oh, he's still got his issues, but who doesn't? Wink

I think most of the times I've seen a deity acting negatively on a person, is when a person is under pressure (societal, familial, internal) to follow a deity that they would not have chosen otherwise.  The cycle of guilt and depression in knowing that you aren't right for whatever worship you are doing can be very damaging both spiritually and psychologically.  This damage can take years of healing before the person becomes whole again. 

As far as truly negative deities are concerned, I have a feeling there are some, and they prey on the less confident people, those that either do not have the understanding to know what they are getting in to, or do not have the spiritual and psychological health to work with positive deities.  I also get the feeling that those truly negative beings often masquerade as other beings, to exploit those humans they do work with.  And since those humans are already damaged in some way, they often don't perceive the deception. 

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 13, 2008, 11:29:59 am »

Have you ever experienced, or ever observed, a deity having any kind of negative influence on a person?
Well, Dionysos seems to be tearing my life to shreds at the moment.  (It's sort of his thing.)  I don't suppose I'd call it "negative", though, as I've got faith that it'll come out for the best in the end.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like hell.

I think, in most cases, it's the person's interpretation of what their god wants that causes them to do bad things.  The JCI god gets blamed for a lot - from baby killings in the Old Testament to killing doctors today, but does that mean that's really what he intended?

There's been discussion of "negative" gods on this thread.  I'm not sure where I stand on that. Most gods considered evil usually just deal with the darker aspects of life, and coming to terms with those things is a good idea, as any of tM's followers on this board could confirm.  Loki does seem to be - I wouldn't say evil, but definately not on "our" side and not particularly trustworthy because of that.  But then again, he's not technically a god.

Which makes me wonder, in some mythologies, there are malevolent beings that seem to have all the powers of the gods - demons, giants, etc.  Really, the only thing that distinguishes a lot of these beings, other than genealogy, is their attitude towards the gods and humanity.  Maybe having humanity's best interest at heart is part of the definition of a "god"?  In other words, since it's humans making the definition, maybe Freya and Loki - f'ex - are the same sort of being and we labelled them differently because of the way they treat us?

Just thinking aloud...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.