The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 06:08:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 06:08:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning cellophane?  (Read 3199 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: July 11, 2008, 10:41:38 am »

Hey folks,

I'm getting ready to sell a collectible doll on craigslist.  The doll is in good condition, but the cellophane window on her box is all smudgy.  Any ideas on how to clean it without making it more smudgy?  I'm sure there must be a collectibles site or something that gives suggestions, but darned if I can find it. 

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 11, 2008, 10:56:29 am »

Hey folks,

I'm getting ready to sell a collectible doll on craigslist.  The doll is in good condition, but the cellophane window on her box is all smudgy.  Any ideas on how to clean it without making it more smudgy?  I'm sure there must be a collectibles site or something that gives suggestions, but darned if I can find it. 

Sperran

Man. This is the first time I've ever known of anyone to ask. You might head over to eBay and see if there is anything posted on one of their messageboards for collectibles. Outside of cleaning it with Windex or something similar, I've not got a clue. I would think anything harsher would melt it.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: July 11, 2008, 11:07:08 am »

Man. This is the first time I've ever known of anyone to ask. You might head over to eBay and see if there is anything posted on one of their messageboards for collectibles. Outside of cleaning it with Windex or something similar, I've not got a clue. I would think anything harsher would melt it.

Thanks for the forum suggestion.  I thought about Windex, but I know that Windex can make some plastics cloudy.  I wonder if vinegar would be safer?  If I can't find anything more definitive, I guess I might try a small test spot and see what happens.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 11, 2008, 12:01:02 pm »

Hey folks,
Sperran

I sold off my doll collection on ebay a couple of years back. I used baby wipes, they are a very gentle cleaner, but it might depend on what is on there that you want off. If it is just fingerprints then the wipes should work. It will also depend on the age of the package and how fragile the cellophane is.  Many collectors don't mind if you leave the cleaning to them as long as you state that in your add.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 11, 2008, 12:07:18 pm »

Thanks for the forum suggestion.  I thought about Windex, but I know that Windex can make some plastics cloudy.  I wonder if vinegar would be safer?  If I can't find anything more definitive, I guess I might try a small test spot and see what happens.

Now that you mention it, vinegar might work better.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: July 11, 2008, 12:09:58 pm »

I sold off my doll collection on ebay a couple of years back. I used baby wipes, they are a very gentle cleaner, but it might depend on what is on there that you want off. If it is just fingerprints then the wipes should work. It will also depend on the age of the package and how fragile the cellophane is.  Many collectors don't mind if you leave the cleaning to them as long as you state that in your add.

If baby wipes work, I bet baby shampoo would work and I have a big bottle of that.  Thanks!

Sperran
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 11, 2008, 12:56:55 pm »

If baby wipes work, I bet baby shampoo would work and I have a big bottle of that.  Thanks!

Sperran

You can always use a little rubbing alcohol diluted with water too, then you don't have to worry about getting it all off or leaving any residue, because it evaporates.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)