The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 09:44:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 09:44:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Parents Warned against using animal treatments  (Read 4808 times)
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 11, 2008, 02:48:32 pm »

http://tinyurl.com/6ccnzb

Children head lice warning

PARENTS have been warned against using veterinary flea products to treat head lice.

Sorry, but isn't this a "duh" statement?  I find it rather scary that parents would need to be warned that using a flea shampoo meant for animals to treat their kids' head lice is a bad idea!

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 11, 2008, 02:50:07 pm »

Sorry, but isn't this a "duh" statement?  I find it rather scary that parents would need to be warned that using a flea shampoo meant for animals to treat their kids' head lice is a bad idea!

To tell the truth, I probably wouldn't know any better Embarrassed

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 11, 2008, 02:53:31 pm »

Children head lice warning

I'll be honest...that's probably the first thing I'd reach for because the pet shampoos I occasionally have here will have a chemical for lice. Also, there are products that are intended for one species but that are widely used in others (F/ex Mane and Tail Shampoo...formulated for horses, found in the human shampoo aisle and used on domestic pets).

So, for me, I can see there needing to be a warning. People definitely need to check the bottles, but even then it can be inconclusive.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 11, 2008, 02:57:39 pm »

Also, there are products that are intended for one species but that are widely used in others (F/ex Mane and Tail Shampoo...formulated for horses, found in the human shampoo aisle and used on domestic pets).

Wow...didn't realize that.  While I realize that animal testing is a no-no these days, I still assume that a product intended for an animal might not be as, shall we say, gentle, as a product intended for an adult, so in the case of flea and tick shampoos, I'd rather go for something I know is meant for my child's scalp. 

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 11, 2008, 03:04:20 pm »

Wow...didn't realize that.  While I realize that animal testing is a no-no these days, I still assume that a product intended for an animal might not be as, shall we say, gentle, as a product intended for an adult, so in the case of flea and tick shampoos, I'd rather go for something I know is meant for my child's scalp. 

That's actually a good rule of thumb. Generally PH balance is the first problem I think of. And, of course, there's the fact that some things can be used on dogs, but not cats. And some things can be used on both. And some products will work on humans. Others won't.

You start mixing species and you can have a real problem. It's still the first thing I'd think to use in a case like this, but I also know to check very carefully before using it.

(And don't get me started on drugs. LOL)

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 11, 2008, 06:27:29 pm »

A good friend of mine is a vet and uses it for pretty much every lice epidemic with her kids. The lice are so resistant to most of the chemicals that are generally used on humans that frequently they just don't work. You don't have to go with stronger, just different, and slightly diluted pet treatment is just that.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 11, 2008, 07:45:13 pm »

I agree with you on the "duh" statement.  Products for animals are not meant for use on people and products for people are not meant for use on animals. The reason being that testing is done for the species the product is meant to be used on, which determins the approval of its sale. "Approved for human use" items must undergo more intensive and expensive research before being approved.

The gulf war saw many many soldiers with everything from rashes to nerve conditions cause by use of flea killers intended for pet use only.  This stuff was not meant for human use.

http://www.dix.army.mil/PAO/post03/post041803/Fleacollars.htm

There was also a case of a pet groomer who suffered nerve damage from overexposure to flea and tick products, which lead to  regulations and guidelines for those continually exposed to fleas killers.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:fnykcbOllQkJ:www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/enforce/bulletins/petgroom.pdf+groomer+sick+from+flea+shampoo&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us

While it is true that some of the same ingredients are used for both human and animal products, the amounts or concentrations can vary greatly.  I once had some eye drops that had the same ingredients as the ones I gave my Schnauzer, but I sure as heck didn't swap hers for mine because they were cheaper.

Certain dog shampoos can be toxic for kittens because of their higher chemical concentrations. It is important not just to get the species right, but the age and overall health of the user as well.

Something like "Tail and Mane" shampoo clearly states it is safe for humans and horses.

Also, if you are not using a product as described on its Directions for Use label, you won't have much of a case against the company if you develope side-effects.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 11, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »

I might be going against the grain here, but I agree with you on the "duh" statement.  Products for animals are not meant for use on people and products for people are not meant for use on animals. The reason being that testing is done for the species the product is meant to be used on, which determins the approval of its sale. "Approved for human use" items must undergo more intensive and expensive research before being approved.

That is a really broad statement that you need to limit. While this particular thread is talking about lice treatments, you can't be nearly as broad as you're being with product usage. Because it's absolutely not true in a lot of cases.

While many drugs are widely used in animals for many, many treatments, a vet will tell you that a great number of them are not actually approved for animal use in the US. However, the drugs are heavily prescribed for many reasons. That's the case with many drugs. So, while it might be safe to say this goes one way, it doesn't go the other...and even dividing the line that brightly from animals to humans can be dicey.

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 11, 2008, 08:04:13 pm »

That is a really broad statement that you need to limit. While this particular thread is talking about lice treatments, you can't be nearly as broad as you're being with product usage. Because it's absolutely not true in a lot of cases.

Sorry, I wasn't clear there, I was referring to flea and tick shampoos and products, not all products in general.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: July 11, 2008, 08:47:32 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't clear there, I was referring to flea and tick shampoos and products, not all products in general.

Got ya.

OmPom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 03:45:00 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 17, 2009, 03:50:26 pm »

Actually animal shampoos are generally gentler than human shampoos that have harsher chemicals, or at least a higher concentration. That is why they say if you're going to use human shampoo on animals they say use Johnson's baby shampoo. Human shampoo dries out an animal's skin.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)