The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 11:01:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 11:01:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Tattoos  (Read 91885 times)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 07, 2007, 12:47:15 pm »

This has been mentioned a few times in the Sacred Piercings thread and I thought it would be a good idea to give it a thread of its own. Plus I am interested to know about the significance people give to their ink.

I do not have any tattoos, however, I do plan on getting one, not till I am at least 18 and not until a time comes when it feels right, but at some point. If I get ink it will definitely be specifically significant to me, and almost certainly in a spiritual way.

So do you have any tattoos? What significance do they hold for you?

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: April 07, 2007, 12:52:52 pm »

I have two, one on each shoulder.  The one on the left was done first, when I was still kind of floundering around religiously.  It's the Japanese kanji for water surrounded by a circle, which was a nod to my spirituality, which has ties to the classical element of water with its creativity and fluidity and such.  (Don't have a picture of this one handy.  Why kanji?  Couldn't say; it just felt right.)  The one on the right is a sun--the same one as in my avatar, actually, but without the flames in the middle.  That one was done relatively recently and is specifically to honor Apollo.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 07, 2007, 01:05:40 pm »

I've got a large tribal in the center of my chest.  I got it when I turned 18 and was preparing to move out of my parents house.  It's sort of my shield bit.  At it's widest point, it's about 5" and in length about 6.  I recently had it redone to add some spikey pointy things to it, and it is now horned at the top.

On the outer corners of my pectorals, framing the tribal, I have two crescent moons.  They are a bit of a tribute to my spirituality, and to my sons.  One on each side.

At the base of my tailbone I have a bow, which is just long story short a tramp stamp.  Just there for *mnyah!* purposes.

On the back of my neck I have a seven petaled flower inside a circle, which looks like it's knotted into the flower.  This was gotten a bit as a solidarity piece, that I can really only depend on myself and my patroness.  Seven Flower, Tonan.

When I get the money I'm getting a turtle on my secrum, which is going to be 4"x 4" ish, and a zone tailed hawk silhouette  just under my sternum/ on my diaphragm which will be about 1.5 x1.5

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 07, 2007, 01:59:03 pm »

Right now, I have one, one day there'll be more... one day.

While it's never going to win any artistic prizes since I created it and got exactly what I created inked on to me, I have a stylised raven on my shoulder blade, partly my dedication to the Morrigan (ok in large part), partly a dedication to the fact that I am actually a person, partly a reminder that I can be an independent individual and I am who I am, partly a symbol of air, magic and freedom and that I'm not going to apologise to anyone again for being who I am even if part of who I am is a witch, and partly that I really don't need anyone else's permission to be me - yeah long unpretty story lol

Getting the tattoo was the beginning of a lot of changes that ended with an entirely new life, very probably the actual decision to go ahead and do it was one of the most significant decisions I ever made in that it marked a turning point for many other things.

Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 07, 2007, 02:22:50 pm »

I am adding in an additional post to my first to say that if anyone wants to post pics that would be cool.

Also to say that everyone's tattoos so far sound very interesting. Purplewitch, sounds like your tattoo really marked a change in your life and that you are happy with the results of the change. Sounds wonderful.

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 07, 2007, 03:04:47 pm »

I am adding in an additional post to my first to say that if anyone wants to post pics that would be cool.

Also to say that everyone's tattoos so far sound very interesting. Purplewitch, sounds like your tattoo really marked a change in your life and that you are happy with the results of the change. Sounds wonderful.
Thanks, it did, I am, and I'll try and remember to get a pic when I get new batteries for the camera...

Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 07, 2007, 04:09:39 pm »

Right now I have one tattoo on my right arm/shoulder, a rendition of the Green Man peeking from the bark of a tree shrouded with leaves.  I wanted it to represent the wild and nature and also Cernunnos in part (since the Green Man is often affiliated with Him...)  In my eyes the Green Man is perhaps the most bold and omnipotent images of the "God" aspect and this also reflects in my username which is Derg Corra (the Celtic "man in the tree")

This was drawn on me "freehand" by the artist with a variety of markers and I couldn't really tell what he did, because the way tattooists work with the markers is strange -- they layer different colors on top of each other and it ends up looking like a huge blob to the ordinary person but to them it is their outline of your tattoo.  I trusted him even though I wasn't 100% sure what was coming and it turned out REALLY well.

In coming weeks I will have my left arm done, I wanted something to "balance" things out and represent the Goddess in some aspect and I have it all planned out.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 05:49:29 pm by Derg Corra, Reason: fixing a typo » Logged
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 07, 2007, 05:24:46 pm »

Right now I have one tattoo on my right arm/shoulder, a rendition of the Green Man peeking from the bark of a tree shrouded with leaves.  I wanted it to represent the wild and nature and also Cernunnos in part (since the Green Man is often affiliated with Him...)  In my eyes he Green Man to be is perhaps the most bold and omnipotent images of the "God" aspect and this also reflects in my username which is Derg Corra (the Celtic "man in the tree")

This was drawn on me "freehand" by the artist with a variety of markers and I couldn't really tell what he did, because the way tattooists work with the markers is strange -- they layer different colors on top of each other and it ends up looking like a huge blob to the ordinary person but to them it is their outline of your tattoo.  I trusted him even though I wasn't 100% sure what was coming and it turned out REALLY well.

In coming weeks I will have my left arm done, I wanted something to "balance" things out and represent the Goddess in some aspect and I have it all planned out.

Really nice, I love how the face blends into the tree as one entity. The God Goddess balance thing sounds really interesting, I can't wait to see how She comes out, please post a pic!

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 07, 2007, 10:29:43 pm »

My tattoo at the time I got it was for a whole mix of reasons- I'd just graduated college and my health took a big downward dive with the discovery of kidney problems. But I bounced back and got what I called my 'warrior's mark' on my back between my shoulder blades.

The basic design I drew was a upturned crestant moon made of vines (in a very simplistic style since my skin doesn't heal very well) with a rose in the middle. It healed faster than my hospitial scars (even though my doc, did admittedly have kittens when he found out). Even my Mom, who had the hugest of reservations, loves it.

I have another design in the works- this one a little more funky and edgy. I'm thinking a hand of cards and the old saying 'Play the hand you're dealt'- my little reminder that I can still make a 'bad' hand (like my most recent hospitial stay) still 'work'.

mytiltedworld
Apprentice
Last Login:May 17, 2007, 10:09:39 pm

Religion: agnostic?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 07, 2007, 10:54:31 pm »

I have three...one on my left upper arm that says "Chris' Angel", Chris being my husband and Angel being his nickname for me since we first met, one on my right calf with 2 hearts and the words "Twin Sisters" with my sister and my names in the hearts, she has the exact same tat on her opposite calf and finally, on on my right upper arm, the White Tree of Gondor with seven stars above it, from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings   trilogy.  It's very significant to me because it's a connection between my father and I, and also it's a tree, which, well, I love trees.   Smiley I also like the seven stars, and to me they symbolize my four kids and my sisters three.  My sister has this tattoo as well, opposite arm and my brother, dad and mom are getting it in the future.

I'd probably have more but it takes me a long time to find one that I want because I *really* want them to mean something, not just now but even when I'm 80. As soon as I do find one I want, no problem.  My brother-in-law is a tattoo artist.  Smiley
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 07, 2007, 11:27:59 pm »

I have one, right above my right hip bone. It's a tribal, which kind of looks like flames, and some have said it resembles a phoenix. I got it when I went back to visit my dad after graduation. It is kind of a "coming of age" thing, "I'm free now!" lol. I got it a few months after turning 18. It's also something that me and my dad's GF did together (she's really cool). So it was a "female bonding" thing. On the spiritual side it represents my soulmate, who isn't physically here right now. It's sort of like getting your SO's name tattooed on you, but in an abstract tribal design.

Here's a pic:
http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=si&img=872

I'm thinking that I may get another one soon, closely tied in with my spirituality. I'm not sure of what, though.

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 08, 2007, 01:32:04 am »

I currently have four tattoos. The first I got when I was seventeen - it's the kanji for "secret" . I was at the time planning on following in my father's footsteps by going to teach English in Japan. I was also still pretty new to paganism (I'd been practising two years, so basically I'd hit the "hey, I know everything!" stage) and also figuring out who I wanted to be as an adult. The experience was almost a coming-of-age thing for me.

My second tattoo I got when I and my sister moved away to Vancouver together. Like most of my tattoos, it is horribly geeky but is well-disguised by being aesthetically interesting: it is the rose seal from an anime series called Shoujo Kakumei Utena. My sister and I got the same tattoo in the same place - between our shoulderblades - because we felt we were taking the first steps towards our own personal revolution. (You can sort of see it here.)

My next two I had done a year ago and they were probably the first ones that I planned with a conscious intent to work magic. They mean a lot to me because they represent opposite and equal forces in my life and the need for balance, and also because they are a constant reminder that I can kick as much ass as I need to. If you're a comic nerd, you'll know where they came from.
My drawing.
The left shoulder and the right.

My sister and I are soon to be reunited, and we plan on getting matching tattoos again when we are. My sister has come with a design featuring wolfsbane and belladonna and I'm pretty excited about it.

- N
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 08, 2007, 03:24:58 pm »

I have one and plan on at least one more. I waited most of my life to decide on one and finally ended up drawing it. (Decisiveness is not a Gemini trait lol) On my right shoulder I have Raven putting the sun in the sky. I was headed into a really hard time in my life and I wanted a reminder of who I really am no matter what was going on. I wanted a strong masculine presence too to help me assert myself. There were, and still are, many days where knowing Raven is perched on my shoulder helps me through. Although the image is primarily a Native one, I added some Celtic feel to it to reflect that aspect of my heritage and the Raven connections I feel through that culture as well. I'm very happy with it. I hope to have a moon with my wolfy dog's face on the other shoulder some day. Smiley I firmly believe that you should Not get a tattoo until you are 100% sure of what you want, why and where you want it placed.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Raven
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 22, 2007, 12:14:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan, Spiritual

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 08, 2007, 04:06:34 pm »

I have been thinking about this for quite some time and was wondering what tattoo I should get to go with my path. Any suggestions would help. Oh yay b4 I forget my path is Celtic Wicca.

Blessed Be
Raven

May The Goddess Bless You With Her Light
Raven
Kasmira
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 08, 2007, 05:03:24 pm »

I firmly believe that you should Not get a tattoo until you are 100% sure of what you want, why and where you want it placed.

Smiley I agree on that, I know I want a tattoo, I have a pretty good idea what I want done, however, I am still definitely going to wait until I am at least 18 and an SURE of the design I want. I don't want to look back in 10 years and go "what the hell was I thinking??" Ink is pretty much as permanent as you can get.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)