The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2021, 11:30:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2021, 11:30:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Tattoos  (Read 125715 times)
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 08, 2007, 05:13:13 pm »

I have been thinking about this for quite some time and was wondering what tattoo I should get to go with my path. Any suggestions would help. Oh yay b4 I forget my path is Celtic Wicca.

I don't think that anyone will be able to tell you an idea and it will be right for you. I am also trying to come up with a design for a tattoo and I am finding that if I just start out with something that is important to me and start sketching from that. eg for you maybe it would be ravens, or a talisman that is important to you. Eventually a sketch starts to just fit with you, this is working for me and I am getting pretty comfortable with my current sketch. It also helps to see/hear about other people's tattoos and get ideas (part of the reason that I started this thread  Wink ). Sorry that my answer was not very specifically helpful!  Grin I hope that it at least helped a bit.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 08, 2007, 06:55:20 pm »

I have one and plan on at least one more. I waited most of my life to decide on one and finally ended up drawing it. (Decisiveness is not a Gemini trait lol) On my right shoulder I have Raven putting the sun in the sky. *snip* Although the image is primarily a Native one, I added some Celtic feel to it to reflect that aspect of my heritage and the Raven connections I feel through that culture as well. I'm very happy with it.

Entwife,

Do you have a picture?  I'd love to see your tattoo because I have a particular soft spot for Raven.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2008, 05:41:18 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 08, 2007, 11:03:33 pm »

I don't have a tattoo at the moment (13) but when I'm 18 and moving out, I'm hoping to get one. Right now I'm thinking a phoenix in between my shoulder blades, and a snake w/its tail in its mouth (not sure how to spell the name) around my upper arm. For me it'll have significance to my path, but more significance for moving out.

Which I can't *wait* to do.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 09, 2007, 09:51:19 am »

Chest Tribal/ MoonsBow on tail bone
Flower on back of neck (4" X4")Turtle, cleaned up version soon to be on secrum $$ depending

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 09, 2007, 10:00:32 am »

So do you have any tattoos? What significance do they hold for you?

I have a triskele on the back of my left shoulder for Brighid.  I had decided that if I were going to get a tattoo it would need to have personal meaning that wasn't going to change (no musician's symbols or TV show logos!) and it would need to be in an artistic style that I would never tire of.

It was a birthday present to myself after my son's first birthday, so that means I've had it - 13 years?  I don't have any photos right now, but if I take one I'll post it. The only complaint I have about it is that it's placed so that even when I'm wearing tank-tops it's hidden by the straps  Angry 
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 09, 2007, 05:59:38 pm »

The turtle looks wonderful, please post a pic if/when it is done Smiley .

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
MorningStar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 13, 2007, 04:38:08 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Syncretic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 09, 2007, 06:34:58 pm »

Right now I have one tattoo on my right arm/shoulder, a rendition of the Green Man peeking from the bark of a tree shrouded with leaves. 

That is one powerful tattoo.  Amazing!
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 09, 2007, 10:03:19 pm »

Someday, I intend to get an Infinity loop.  I just haven't decided where or in what colors.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
SunWolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 20, 2007, 04:26:28 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 15, 2007, 01:19:20 pm »

So do you have any tattoos? What significance do they hold for you?

I have four (so far).  You can see them here: http://www.luminosities.net/sunwolftatts/

My sun sign is Leo, hence the Leo glyph on the top of my foot (yes, it hurt like hell).  I intend to get my rising (Moonchild) and my moon (Pisces) glyphs done, too.

The first one I got, something like 18 years ago, was the owl.  It's meant to be a symbol of an owl, not a picture of an owl.  I had a dream in which Hecate sent a white owl to bring me a message.  The owl was a tiny speck in the sky at first, but as it spiraled closer and closer to me, I could see it was a white owl.  Eventually, it was right in front of me, at shoulder level.  That's when I realized I had my arm out and was pointing my finger at it.  It turned on its side and held out a wing tip to meet my finger.  A spark flew between us and I woke up.  It was a very significant moment in my spiritual journey and I marked it with my first tattoo.

The third one I got was the udjat, which in my case is not the Eye of Horus, but the Eye of Ra.

So recently that it's not completely healed yet, I got a green pentacle with a purple ankh in the center.  I like it as a representation of both my Wiccan side and my Egyptian deities. 

I have more planned, too.  One of Bast, one of a crow and one of a specific black cat that represents my musical taste and my Goth side.  Oh, and a wolf paw with the opening lines of my theme song, written and recorded by Green Day - "Minority", "I pledge allegiance to the underworld, one nation under dog..."  So in that one, we have the music I like, wolves, doggie love, and my eternally rebellious nature.  It's a winner!   Cheesy
SunWolf
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 15, 2007, 01:23:46 pm »

Right now I have one tattoo on my right arm/shoulder, a rendition of the Green Man peeking from the bark of a tree shrouded with leaves.  I wanted it to represent the wild and nature and also Cernunnos in part (since the Green Man is often affiliated with Him...)  In my eyes the Green Man is perhaps the most bold and omnipotent images of the "God" aspect and this also reflects in my username which is Derg Corra (the Celtic "man in the tree")

This was drawn on me "freehand" by the artist with a variety of markers and I couldn't really tell what he did, because the way tattooists work with the markers is strange -- they layer different colors on top of each other and it ends up looking like a huge blob to the ordinary person but to them it is their outline of your tattoo.  I trusted him even though I wasn't 100% sure what was coming and it turned out REALLY well.

In coming weeks I will have my left arm done, I wanted something to "balance" things out and represent the Goddess in some aspect and I have it all planned out.

That is awesome!  Be sure and post a pic of your Goddess tattoo when you get it. 

SunWolf
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:32:52 pm by SunWolf, Reason: Didn\'t mean to include the pic in the quote. » Logged
SunWolf
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 15, 2007, 01:26:28 pm »

on my right upper arm, the White Tree of Gondor with seven stars above it, from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings   trilogy. 

I would really, really like to see that.  Can you post a pic?

SunWolf
SunWolf
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 15, 2007, 01:30:34 pm »

On my right shoulder I have Raven putting the sun in the sky.

I sowant to see that!!  I bet that is really cool.  Pleeez post a pic.

SunWolf
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 16, 2007, 05:14:24 pm »

Entwife,

Do you have a picture?  I'd love to see your tattoo because I have a particular soft spot for Raven.

Errr, this is probably the best pic that I have of my Raven...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eternalchaosinc/detail?.dir=8069re2&.dnm=46c8re2.jpg&.src=ph

He's simply drawn but he's mine.  Grin

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Zanshin
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2007, 02:21:06 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: April 16, 2007, 05:47:23 pm »

I've got an Eliphas Levi-style pentagram and a crescent moon on my right arm. Uneducated people generally assume I'm a Satanist. Going to get a Native American Thunderbird on the other arm when I get around to it. Got the first one when I was about 37, so it's not just the prerogative of the young and stupid - the old and stupid can do it too.

Cheesy

As in http://skepdic.com/graphics/penta.jpg

only without the Hebrew and the Tetragrammaton.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:51:40 pm by Zanshin » Logged
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 16, 2007, 06:34:22 pm »

the old and stupid can do it too.

Cheesy

Nice image you selected! I wonder why so may people connect a star symbol, not just a pent but really darn near Any star symbol with Satanism? Do they not realize that the Stars were there loooong before Satanism? lol

Anyway, I don't know if I'd agree with the "old" or "stupid" part lol, but I Do agree that anyone can get a tattoo at any age if they are moved to... I was 36. The numbers of people getting tattooed are on the rise, especially women! Not all that long ago, any woman who was tattooed was severely discriminated against and labelled...course that still goes on lol, but fortunately those numbers seem to be dropping. It seems we can always find a new way to misunderstand our fellow humans. Silly humans lol.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)