The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2021, 10:34:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2021, 10:34:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Tattoos  (Read 125713 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #345: January 27, 2011, 10:06:10 pm »

*mutters* No, the Morrigan is not getting a raven on the inside of my right wrist in her honor. She can pester me for it all she wants, but she can't have it.

I hear ya.  I have a real issue with the spider that wants the spot at the very nape of my neck nearly into the hairline.  She wants easy access to my ear.  Says that the dreams aren't working cause they just squick me the hell out leaving me scratching and cringing.  They make an impression but it takes too much work to sort out from that visceral ew a spider thing.  Unfortunately I have the same impression of putting a spider in my hairline.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

wolfwalker
Last Login:February 28, 2011, 01:33:58 am

Religion: Unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #346: February 01, 2011, 04:24:52 pm »

I currently only have one tattoo, it says "My word is my bond" in Latin and it has a ton of meaning to me. It represents the mental journey I took from being a lying, mean and just generally bad person, to a person that I can be very proud to be. It signifies the past present and future of my life and all that it has and will entail, and also serves as a reminder of the person I was and the strength it took to change, and a reminder to keep my guard up and never revert to the former. It's also on my left wrist which is also significant to me, since in order to change I had to go against everything I had been taught and was used to doing (I'm very predominately right handed). Kinda funny, when I went in to get it done and told him that I wanted it drawn right side up from my view, all he kept saying is that it would be upside down to everyone else, all I said was, "That's ok, it's not for everyone else, it's for me".  Grin
wolfwalker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #347: February 01, 2011, 11:57:12 pm »

I currently only have one tattoo, it says "My word is my bond" in Latin and it has a ton of meaning to me. It represents the mental journey I took from being a lying, mean and just generally bad person, to a person that I can be very proud to be. It signifies the past present and future of my life and all that it has and will entail, and also serves as a reminder of the person I was and the strength it took to change, and a reminder to keep my guard up and never revert to the former. It's also on my left wrist which is also significant to me, since in order to change I had to go against everything I had been taught and was used to doing (I'm very predominately right handed). Kinda funny, when I went in to get it done and told him that I wanted it drawn right side up from my view, all he kept saying is that it would be upside down to everyone else, all I said was, "That's ok, it's not for everyone else, it's for me".  Grin

Whoops! I was excited to find a pagan forum and didn't read the rules (tsk tsk I know)  Sad   Anyway I noticed while reading other threads that quoting is required, so I'm apologizing right now before I get the response from a mod that I know is coming lol...Anyway I've learned my lesson and I'm sorry  Roll Eyes    Oh and sorry the pic showed up so big  Undecided
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #348: February 02, 2011, 12:10:12 am »

Whoops! I was excited to find a pagan forum and didn't read the rules (tsk tsk I know)  Sad   Anyway I noticed while reading other threads that quoting is required, so I'm apologizing right now before I get the response from a mod that I know is coming lol...Anyway I've learned my lesson and I'm sorry  Roll Eyes    Oh and sorry the pic showed up so big  Undecided

Heeey welcome to the party! Did the wrist tattoo hurt like an absolute mother? Because at first I was like "Oh, there is NO WAY I'm putting that there" but I'm really thinking of giving the Morrigan the raven she wants on my inner wrist, now that I see her logic about it. I tried negotiating a different placement with her, on the grounds that it's going to hurt and be hard to cover up, and her response was basically "Well, yeah, that's the point. You've been covering up and dodging the painful stuff long enough. Grow a spine! Now!"

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #349: February 02, 2011, 03:00:06 am »

Heeey welcome to the party! Did the wrist tattoo hurt like an absolute mother?

Not Wolfwalker, but speaking from experience: wrist tattoos don't hurt. At least mine didn't, nor did my inner forearm, and I have a very very low tolerance to pain (ridiculously low for someone with future plans of face tattoos). 3 out of six of my tattoos reduced me to tears within minutes. The other three didn't hurt at all (the two aforementioned and the back of my neck).

Because at first I was like "Oh, there is NO WAY I'm putting that there" but I'm really thinking of giving the Morrigan the raven she wants on my inner wrist, now that I see her logic about it. I tried negotiating a different placement with her, on the grounds that it's going to hurt and be hard to cover up, and her response was basically "Well, yeah, that's the point. You've been covering up and dodging the painful stuff long enough. Grow a spine! Now!"

Hee hee. That's totally Her.

Good luck resisting. Grin She hasn't demanded a tattoo of me, but I suspect that's because tattoos are easy for me -- I love them, I plan on getting them for the rest of my life. She likes it to be a challenge -- a sacrifice. (I am getting a tattoo or tattoos for Her, but it wasn't a request. It's just me, needing to make the marks on my soul physically visible.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
wolfwalker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #350: February 02, 2011, 02:45:30 pm »

Heeey welcome to the party! Did the wrist tattoo hurt like an absolute mother?

Thanks for the welcome! I don't really have much to base the pain level on since this is my only tattoo so far, and my pain tolerance is generally very high. The only thing I do know is that there's a line going up your arm (Sorry, I don't know anatomy at all, for all I know it could be a big vein or something, lol) Anyway if you feel your inner wrist you'll know what I'm talking about, and for me when he went over it and did the c and t in dictum, it hurt like a $%^#, I'm saying grab the arm rest of the chair and try to crush it kind of pain. Now that's just my experience, and from what I've heard from other friends, that much pain is not typical. If you look at my tattoo you can tell it wasn't done very well, and from what I've heard after the fact, this guy has been doing tattoos to long and his hand is going, he just refuses to quit lol. So from what everyone's told me I've just deduced that he was using to much pressure at that spot.
wolfwalker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #351: February 02, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »

I love them, I plan on getting them for the rest of my life.
Same Here Morag, I'm officially addicted and will be getting tattoos as much as I can afford, lol. I can't wait to save up the money for my back, it's going to be absolutely amazing, but it's also probably going to be ungodly expensive since what I want will require tons of detail. As of right now I estimate it will be around a $5,000 dollar tattoo,(Not including getting an artist to draw it up for me lol) it's going to take years to save up for it, but it will be worth it when its done Cheesy
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #352: February 02, 2011, 11:44:24 pm »

She hasn't demanded a tattoo of me...

I wish Sekhmet would demand one already. She seemed moderately appeased when I had Ma'at tattooed onto my shoulder, but I don't think that's enough. Well, that... and it's been like four years since my last one.  Cry

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #353: February 03, 2011, 10:26:06 am »

I wish Sekhmet would demand one already. She seemed moderately appeased when I had Ma'at tattooed onto my shoulder, but I don't think that's enough. Well, that... and it's been like four years since my last one.  Cry
Neb.y demanded one the night before last, so looks like I need to find an artist.  Sekhmet's only request is that it be on the back of my neck or on my inner wrist.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #354: February 04, 2011, 12:01:49 am »

I intend to get a Aegishjalmur "Helm of awe" Bind rune on the outside of my left lower leg soon. Now being a pagan forum most of you know what it is. But for those who don't it's a symbol which stands for invincibility and protection "in battle but also outside". I have chosen to get this so i'm warded from my past repeating itself. Consider it a ward from torment.

Image!

And yes i will post a photo here when i've had it done.

Honor and wisdom.
Legion.
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #355: February 05, 2011, 02:08:25 pm »

I intend to get a Aegishjalmur "Helm of awe" Bind rune on the outside of my left lower leg soon. Now being a pagan forum most of you know what it is. But for those who don't it's a symbol which stands for invincibility and protection "in battle but also outside". I have chosen to get this so i'm warded from my past repeating itself. Consider it a ward from torment.

Image!

And yes i will post a photo here when i've had it done.

Honor and wisdom.
Legion.

First off i apologize for not explaining the meaning deeper. If you're looking for the full meaning look for the "Helm of awe". "just shows how much of a noob i am lol"

Secondly, a little update. Next week "Starting 7th feb" i'm actually going to ring up a tattoo artist and get an apointment to getting it done, it'll actually be my first tattoo. So i'll let you lads /lasses know when it's done and post a photo of it here once it's healed a bit.

So far the update, thanks for reading.

Legion.
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #356: February 06, 2011, 10:09:55 am »

The closest thing I have to a sacred tattoo (right now) is the aesthetically retarded Mercury symbol on my outer right wrist, in red and black.

Black had to be the base colour as it was the only one I'd consider, but the loop of the symbol is red as with blood and life. Wholly black would seem a little dead to me, when it's mercurial forces are so alive and animate.

Rather than being for the diety it symbolises the archetypal mercurial energies of intellect, expression, swiftness, communication and travel, as well as reflecting 'androgenous life'. Call me out for vagueness there if you will!

I didn't know care much for astrology at the time, but with Mercury ruling my husband's sun sign, and the sun and mercury being in the same sign when I was born... Well, gods only knows what that means to me but I like to think it's significant in some way!  Cheesy

The placement reflects the influence I'd like it to have on my writing and to a lesser extent my art. Sure, it's hard to hide and maybe cost me a job and was cocked up by the artist... But I never regret having it done.

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #357: February 07, 2011, 12:35:33 am »

The closest thing I have to a sacred tattoo (right now) is the aesthetically retarded Mercury symbol on my outer right wrist.
I have several tattoos ,all of them mean something to me.
but only a few could be classified as relating to my spiritual belief.
I have a simply done black phases of the moon tattoo around my left ankle,and a realistically done crescent moon tattoo on the back of my neck. I have a full colour Halloween collage tattoo on my left shoulder and because I'm a giant nut for lycanthropy things I have five skulls across the back of my shoulders that go from wolf to human and scarification on the top of my left shoulder and in my collar bone area to look like a wolf bite/claw scratch....like I survived an attack.
I've also got my dog tattooed on my right calf and five dots in a row under each eye and tattoos on the back of both hands and animals tattooed on the sides of my head.
LOL

Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #358: February 09, 2011, 07:12:42 am »

So do you have any tattoos? What significance do they hold for you?

I still have at least another year to go before it's legal for me to get inked, so I'm taking my time to research. Whatever I get WILL be linked to my spirituality, that's why I don't want to rush. Two crossed torches between the tops of my shoulderblades sound like a good idea for a start.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #359: February 09, 2011, 11:13:07 am »

Little update again, I finaly managed to get hold of a tattoo shop today. The one i originaly looked at wasn't answering the phone for 2 days straight so  to be honest **** them Smiley.

I'll be going to this parlor somewhere next week to discuss the details and the design. The waitlist is about 2 weeks even though he's a very talented artist.

So i should have it done before march.

End of update.

Legion.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)