The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 05:39:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 05:39:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacred Tattoos  (Read 125725 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #360: March 05, 2011, 02:10:51 pm »

tacking on to last post in thread rather than the first...

Went and got my deer yesterday.  The guy was good at taking direction but slow as molasses.  I may end up going to get some touch ups in a couple places that will make them exactly as I want them but I am not unhappy with the results.

Deer for me are a symbol of a sacred contract.  They are I suppose what I believe of fate or how our choices create destiny and that those choices sign our name on the line without our knowing it.  Only when we later have the choice of meeting that destiny with willingness do we ever really know we made a choice.  It's the unknowing signature, what we were born to do or what we chose before knowing we were choosing or even that we can choose.  They are the willing sacrifice, the awareness of our mortality and the obligation to make sacrifices.  They are the sacrifice and they are the contract.  Contract and contractor, priest, spirit and sacrifice all in one.  Deer spirit shows up and reminds us where we may or may not be living up to our contracts - or on the opposite side are sacrificing too much meeting obligations that are not ours.  Deer says you have one life to give, give it willingly and for something of worth.  Deer points out the tragedy of loss because another person isn't living up to their contracts, and to be aware of how we can prevent it.

My deer are for myself, my boys and ms roo who will be 2 in 2 weeks! 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AudrianNikole
Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2011, 02:51:14 am

Religion: I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Blog entries (0)

EmptyHourglass

Ignore
« Reply #361: March 20, 2011, 05:40:12 pm »

So do you have any tattoos? What significance do they hold for you?

This is the symbol of the homunculus from Fullmetal Alchemist, and is very significant to how I've developed personally based on the concept of a homunculus and the oroboros that makes it up. Tis placed on my left hip, and was my first.

And this was my second, done in January of this year. It serves as a reminder never to lose myself in another person and as a personal symbol of the phrase, "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it." 

Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #362: April 28, 2011, 05:24:20 am »

This is the symbol of the homunculus from Fullmetal Alchemist, and is very significant to how I've developed personally based on the concept of a homunculus and the oroboros that makes it up.

I approve entirely  Grin

Well, I won't be getting it done for a while, and I suck at drawing, so I have no pictures, but I'm visiting the tattoo parlour tomorrow to check out the possibility of getting a tattoo on my shoulder.  I want it to be green vines/tentacles flowing over my shoulder, touching my shoulderblade and the very top of my arm, and underneath, just below my collarbone, a design I drew ages ago while bored in Maths class  Cheesy.  I've wanted the design for several years now, so I'm sure I won't get bored of it.  It's just a matter of working out costs, finding cash and getting a design...

I'm going in on Saturday, so I'll probably be back to gush  Grin

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
ItstheK
Apprentice
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 02:43:59 pm

Religion: Celtic Pago-Shamanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #363: May 16, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »

I don't have a tattoo, but I plan on getting one, as soon as I integrate my Shadow Totem into my life. It will be a very small tattoo, on the back of my neck, so I can hide it at work, if I need to, and it will be of my shadow totem, specifically, the color variation of my shadow totem that comes to mind when I think of her.
ItstheK
Apprentice
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 02:43:59 pm

Religion: Celtic Pago-Shamanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #364: May 16, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »

I don't have a tattoo, but I plan on getting one, as soon as I integrate my Shadow Totem into my life. It will be a very small tattoo, on the back of my neck, so I can hide it at work, if I need to, and it will be of my shadow totem, specifically, the color variation of my shadow totem that comes to mind when I think of her.

Picture of the design I made~
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #365: May 16, 2011, 05:02:47 pm »

Hi, ItstheK,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Gonner
Journeyman
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:45:00 am
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #366: May 16, 2011, 07:51:48 pm »

So do you have any tattoos? What significance do they hold for you?

I consider all my tattoo's sacred. Some are tribal in nature and my way of marking my ethnicity on my body, others are familial and territorial and others are for relationships with people and animals. Some of the ones most relevant to neopaganism are simple looking but theyve a lot of meaning for me.

This symbol's taken from the neolithic Tomb/Temple Dowth/Dubad/Cnoc Dubada in the Boyne Valley co. Meath, Ireland.

In the Dindshenchas Dubad is translated as 'Darkness' and because of the medieval perception of the sacred site we could speculate that it was considered a home to one of Dumezils three kingly deities and their seasonal battle. In this case maybe the fisher king type who hoards the good during the winter months. Ireland gets very dark in the winter.

Official Dowth site
http://www.knowth.com/dowth.htm
Dubad in the metrical Dindshenchas (medieval place name stories)
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T106500D/text079.html

This symbol comes from Knowth originally constructed in the neolithic but in continuous use until the 12th century. The sacred site is mentioned in Medieval Irish lit. in connection with a fair few deities but for me most significantly the Dagda, he may be the elder kingly deity who bestows his favour to the two younger deities in dumezils three kings. It was also home to the Sil na hAedo Slaine Tribe and their mother deity Mugain and world famous Druid Searles O Dubhain traces his family name (Devane) to the territory as well.

Official Knowth website
http://www.knowth.com/knowth.htm
Cnogba in the metrical dindshenchas (medieval place name stories)
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T106500C/text004.html

This one is probably the most artsy expression of the petroglyphs Ive gotten tattoo'd and probably the most recignisable. Its taken from Newgrange in Co. Meath, Ireland. The sacred site is mentioned in medieval literature where its associated with multiple deities most especially the goddess of the river boyne Boann. Thats why it looks kind of watery. Its most interestingly linked with Lugh and Aengus possibly making this a sacred site for a liberator king who brings back the good to the people and the land in spring and summer.

Like Knowth and Dowth and most if not all neolithic temples/Tombs in Ireland Newgrange has been aligned so that for the last 5000+ years on the solstices light travels into the heart of the mound deep beneath tonnes of huge corbelled stones and soil to a ritual chamber..

The official Newgrange site
http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm
The Story of the River Boyne from the metrical Dindshenchas
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T106500C/text002.html
The seasonal story surrounding the Bru na Boinne
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T106500C/text003.html
The wooing of Etain: A myth where the story of Bru Na Boinne is explained in greater detail
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T300012/index.html
Gonner
Journeyman
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:45:00 am
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #367: May 16, 2011, 07:56:13 pm »

for female (for me meaning 'feminist'), and ended up skipping my cognitive psychology and perception class to get it done. Rather impulsive, but I adore it.

My latest tattoo, and my reason for replying to this thread because I just had to share!  Wink I got it about three weeks ago, after deliberating for a long time. The triskelion is for Manannan Mac Lir and the Isle of Man, and the words are lyrics from a song that is very powerful and meaningful to me: Edenbridge's Whale Rider.

That is an absolutely Savage Tattoo Cliona!
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #368: May 25, 2011, 07:11:44 pm »

And my second piece was done last week and is pretty much healed already. Whoot!

This one is very definitely religious in nature in that it is a marker of my taking refuge at the Buddhist temple I attend (kinda like converting but not really). It's the constellation Orion on my foot. The idea comes from the presence of the three stars of Orion's belt in the Tendai Buddhist symbol (this is a terrible image of it but all that I could find online) which signify the buddha (enlightenment), the dharma (the teachings), and the sangha (the community). Orion's also been important to me since childhood as something of a guiding light in the night sky which makes it very fitting for getting the week after I graduated from college so it can help guide me in the big wide world... Smiley. It's on my foot so the promises that I made when I took refuge about how I would live my life are with me with every step.

The overall thing looks rather like this
but, you know, on a real foot Smiley. I'll try to post a pic as soon as I have access to a camera.

The artist thinks it's the simplest piece of ink he (or any other tattoo artist) has ever done Grin but I'm super happy with it. I wanted something simple, unobvious, and that was there just for me and this is perfect.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)