The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2022, 06:34:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2022, 06:34:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite spellbook?  (Read 12447 times)
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 12, 2007, 11:02:00 am »

You're nastily poky Wink
I'd like a larger collection, although it's growing slowly (yeah, yeah, like everything else I had to start again from absolutely nothing) - I'm not sure I have separate collections exactly - just a second spice rack that the guys in the house are told not to touch.
some of the things in it I use in cooking - some I don't Smiley

My magical herbs are all the ones that you really shouldn't be eating, or if you are, they're medicinal, not tasty, so I keep them on a shelf in the altar room (I'm going to miss that to a small degree when we move to the cabin).  Anything that is tasty stays in the kitchen, handy. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 12, 2007, 11:27:14 am »

My magical herbs are all the ones that you really shouldn't be eating, or if you are, they're medicinal, not tasty, so I keep them on a shelf in the altar room (I'm going to miss that to a small degree when we move to the cabin).  Anything that is tasty stays in the kitchen, handy. 
I should have pointed out that the second rack is up on top of the kitchen cupboards, seriously out of the way.

Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 12, 2007, 11:52:44 am »

I should have pointed out that the second rack is up on top of the kitchen cupboards, seriously out of the way.

I used to keep the magical herbs on the counter, but the cats kept trying to steal the jar of catnip in there, despite having their very own jar of the stuff.  Nope. Mom's 'nip is better for some reason.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 12, 2007, 12:02:30 pm »

I used to keep the magical herbs on the counter, but the cats kept trying to steal the jar of catnip in there, despite having their very own jar of the stuff.  Nope. Mom's 'nip is better for some reason.
I don't have cats - just men! And a demon... Wink

Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 12, 2007, 01:16:25 pm »

my favorite is a very heavy tome called "The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells."  It includes spells for anything you could think of, as well as spells from almost every Pagan faith.  Just an amazing resource.

I have that one!  It's the only spell book I have, actually.  I don't get into a lot of high magic, so the simple folk stuff is what I prefer.  And man, that book kind of came to me by magic itself, haha!  I had been eyeing it on Amazon, but just couldn't justify the money for it since I'm a fledgling and all that and I thought I ought to really get to know more about herbs first.  That was money more well spent.  But then I was at Half Price Books and they had a used copy with the dust jacket missing for dirt cheap.  Now, I rarely actually buy anything from the metaphysical section of HPB, I just go to see if there's anything interesting.  Usually, there's not.  Just a bunch of Junk.  I didn't have the money to buy it that day, but the next week when I went back it was still there.  It must have been charged with a bunch of energy from it's former owner because when I picked it up, not only did it hum, but I would get giddy hyper anytime I touched it until I placed it on my Brighid Alter and made it my "own."

Guen  ~:)
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 13, 2007, 11:30:38 am »

Thanks Beachglass, for the recommendation! The books looks so charming (oh, dear, no pun intended  Embarrassed) I have ordered a hardcover edition for when my own grandchildren come to visit.

My pleasure, it's a book I really loved.  I hope your grandkids do too. Smiley

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 13, 2007, 11:40:14 am »

That's funny, I'm the exact opposite.  They herbs that I use most often for magic and medicine are culinary herbs.  I've pretty much stopped keeping them seperate.  I've actually got a cupboard set aside for strictly medicinal/magical stuff, but I rarely use any of it.  (Which reminds me, I really need to clean that out.)

As for spellbooks, the 5000 spell one is lovely.  Too expensive for me, but a friend of mine has it and I borrowed it for a few months.

There are also some interesting folk spells in Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs.  I've used a few of them.

But mostly I don't use spell books.  I just grab my herbs and stones and ad lib...
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 13, 2007, 01:03:05 pm »

What is your favorite spellbook?  I am always eager to learn of others to add to my collection.   Cheesy

I’m one of those people that like to create their own spellbooks. I do have printed books but I just take and adapt the parts of those books I like. I have two books right now. One book I use just for recording the aspect and correspondences of herbs, stones, and tools. It makes for easy reference.

The second book I have I record rituals, either those I’ve created myself and ones I’ve found and liked. It also has little blurbs of information I think is useful.

I use a calligraphy set I got from my birthday to write in them. I like a bit of theatrics in my workings. I'm odd that way...

~Reona

Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 13, 2007, 01:11:45 pm »

That's funny, I'm the exact opposite.  They herbs that I use most often for magic and medicine are culinary herbs.  I've pretty much stopped keeping them seperate.  I've actually got a cupboard set aside for strictly medicinal/magical stuff, but I rarely use any of it.  (Which reminds me, I really need to clean that out.)
<snip>
But mostly I don't use spell books.  I just grab my herbs and stones and ad lib...

Oh, the entire lot of culinary herbs are magical, too (eat at my house, you're being spelled- that's how it is.  Wink )

I rarely bother with the spell books.  I love them, but then, I love all books.  I love to look at them, touch them, smell them.  But, when it comes time to craft a spell, I rarely grab one.  I just head for the herbs and go to it.  Smiley

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 13, 2007, 02:34:53 pm »

I’m one of those people that like to create their own spellbooks. I do have printed books but I just take and adapt the parts of those books I like...

Exactly what I do as well. I use spellsbooks as reference or one source of inspiration and then write my own. I have 4 of my own books always going, my 'official' BOS, the back of the BOS, Magical Results and Occurrences and my dream journal.

In the BOS I record rituals and spells, chants and holiday celebrations I have written and performed. The 'back of the BOS'  I have turned the book upside down, open from the back and I have recorded my basic philosophy of life, tenets in which I believe, tables of all manner of things, elements, herbs, good cauldron fuel, astrological correspondences, explanations of why magic works etc etc. I have lately re-done this book, finally getting a beautiful leather cover and a five ring binder thing inside. My BOS is always a work in progress and this makes it easy to expand or re-define my thoughts.

The other two books are a Magic Journal where I write down where and when I did a spell and what happened, interesting syncronisities in my life and omens, even important Tarot readings. My dream journal is of course by my bed and I record 'Big Dreams' when they happen. I have been working in these 4 for years, I feel they are important. But then I am a diary keeper type of person, although all my diaries are sketchbooks.
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 14, 2007, 09:47:12 am »

My favourite spellbook was Everyday Magic by Dorothy Morrison - http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Magic-Spells-Rituals-Modern/dp/1567184693

Unfortunately I leant it to someone years ago who has never returned it. 

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 24, 2007, 02:01:15 pm »

My pleasure, it's a book I really loved.  I hope your grandkids do too. Smiley

Just a quick note;

The book arrived today, it is absolutely charming. Just the thing to add to my witchy childrens book collection. As it was only published in the UK, I would have had a hard time finding out about without your help and this board. I know the grandkids will be delighted!
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 24, 2007, 08:37:15 pm »

As it was only published in the UK, I would have had a hard time finding out about without your help and this board.

Wow, I didn't know that.  How in heck did my very Catholic grandmother end up with it, I wonder?  Smiley

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 09, 2007, 09:43:49 pm »

What is your favorite spellbook?  I am always eager to learn of others to add to my collection.   Cheesy
Thirty-some years ago, I picked up a copy of The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb at a farm auction; and while I do occasionally cross-reference with other sources for a little extra focus, it's been the only spell book I've ever really needed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:21:19 pm by RandallS, Reason: Modified to use TC\'s Amazon link » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 11, 2007, 03:35:02 pm »

I have that one- but my favorite is a white binder filled with all manner of odds and ends that I've collected over the years.

It's mine. 

Hahahah you bugger, you beat me too it, I was going to be all clever and facetious and say MINE and you beat me to it Cheesy

That being said, I do own exactly 3 spell books, the 5000 spells is a corker, It's what I call a great coffee table book, you pick it up and browse, or discuss if you have company, a bit like having country life on the coffee table, you flick through and get ideas. I don't think I'd ever use anything straight from the book, but I did do an adaptation of banishing powder from it once. It's a shame the other "5000" books in the series didn't live up to the same standard.

Somebody mentioned the Goodly Spell book, I also have that, it isn't one I would have normally chosen, but I had the pleasure of an evening with the HP and HPS of Oldenwilde (Lady Passion and Duvai) whilst they were over in the UK, and the following day they were generous enough to share some of thier personal research with me. They struck me as very genuine, so I bought thier book and very good it is too.

But my absolute favourite above all others an a definite must have on the shelf is the third and final one, is the Greek Magical Papyri, it's just the most wonderful and absorbing spell book ever, I just need to figure out how I am going to source a supply of "white faced" mules for sacrifice Wink
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 03:41:13 pm by naimh, Reason: Typo » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)