The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 24, 2021, 11:33:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2021, 11:33:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creation, Evolution, or a Mix?  (Read 8653 times)
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 16, 2008, 03:17:21 am »

This idea came to me as a side note to another topic.  I just wondered what people's ideas were as to how we came to be.  Were we created by a deity (or group of them)?  Was it evolution?  Or do you believe that evolution is valid as far as it goes?

To answer my own question, I believe in evolution.  However, no matter how far back the scientists take us, there is always a "Well, what came before THAT?" for me.  The same thing goes for my belief on the way that the world, solar system, universe, etc. came into being.  No matter how far back the ideas take us, there will always be the question of what came before it.  And I will always ask that question until someone gives me direct proof that there is no need to ask it.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 16, 2008, 03:42:13 am »

I personally believe in evolution because that's what makes the most sense to me.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: July 16, 2008, 08:18:58 am »

This idea came to me as a side note to another topic.  I just wondered what people's ideas were as to how we came to be.  Were we created by a deity (or group of them)?  Was it evolution?  Or do you believe that evolution is valid as far as it goes?

How we came to be here frankly doesn't make that much difference to me on a religious level.  We are here, and that's what I've got to deal with.

That said, I don't see evolution and creationism as mutually exclusive.  I think it's perfectly possible for evolution to have been partially or wholly guided by a divine hand.  (Or many divine hands.)  Outside of a very literal interpretation of Genesis, which seems to be a minority position in the first place, I've never quite understood why the two are always set up as opposing theories.  They address different questions, IMO; evolution addresses "how" while creationism addresses "why".

Whether that's how it happened or not, I don't know.  Smiley  But it makes sense on a theoretical level to me, at least.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 16, 2008, 08:25:27 am »

Evolution. All the evidence supports evolution and none supports the direct creation by one or more deities. However, the theory of evolution does not state that deities could not have worked through evolution to get the species they desire. While its says random mutation is all that is necessary to end up where we are today, that does not rule out changes caused by non-random means such as deities directly causing mutations. And it certainly does not rule out selective breeding programs by deities (e.g. Cupid may have been very selective when shooting his arrows).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 16, 2008, 08:36:15 am »

What if the 'Big BANG' theory was in part right, instead of a big bang it was a big 'O'.  Thus creating the start and evolution was the next step?  Like a babe in the womb thing.  What if we are still evolving? 

Just thoughts floating in my head.  I believe in evolution.  But I'm wondering HOW the big bang itself came about.  WHY did evolution happen? 

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: July 16, 2008, 08:43:58 am »

What if the 'Big BANG' theory was in part right, instead of a big bang it was a big 'O'.  Thus creating the start and evolution was the next step?

The big bang and evolution really aren't related. The "Big Bang" is (part) of an explanation of how the universe came into being. Evolution is a description of how life changed with time and changes to the environment on Earth. (Note that "how life on Earth came to be" is yet a third question.)

Like a babe in the womb thing.  What if we are still evolving? 

Evolution has not stopped, but it takes many generations to see.

But I'm wondering HOW the big bang itself came about.

There is actually a lot of scientific work being done to try to answer that question. There isn't a generally accepted answer yet.  But the question is not considered unanswerable anymore.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #6: July 16, 2008, 08:55:43 am »

Evolution has not stopped, but it takes many generations to see.

unless you're a virus or bacterium, lol.

Sperran
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 16, 2008, 09:00:08 am »

unless you're a virus or bacterium, lol.

It still takes many generations, but each generation takes a very short period of time -- only hours in some species (perhaps even minutes for some species under ideal conditions).  So from a human POV, the change is "immediate."

Randall
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 16, 2008, 09:40:38 am »

To answer my own question, I believe in evolution.  However, no matter how far back the scientists take us, there is always a "Well, what came before THAT?" for me.  The same thing goes for my belief on the way that the world, solar system, universe, etc. came into being.  No matter how far back the ideas take us, there will always be the question of what came before it.  And I will always ask that question until someone gives me direct proof that there is no need to ask it.

On one level all that is always has been and always will be.  Existence is Uncreated, but simply Is.  Within the framework of life (as opposed to existence) that we currently have, though, evolution with occasional nudges from deity is pretty much what I believe.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: July 16, 2008, 10:11:19 am »

How we came to be here frankly doesn't make that much difference to me on a religious level.  We are here, and that's what I've got to deal with.

That's pretty much me. Randall will tell you my eyes glaze over when the topic comes up (and since he likes stuff like this, it occasionally rises to the top), but it's more that I'm supremely indifferent to the whole question. I'm here. I wasn't there when the whole thing started. I don't really have a vested interest in any theory at all.

That said, mark me down in the Evolution column.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 16, 2008, 11:58:51 am »

I actually don't "believe" in evolution -- evolution IS. You don't get a choice about whether to believe in facts or not.

And I think saying I "believe" in evolution plays into creationists hands by putting it on the level of faith-based belief.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 16, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

Evolution. All the evidence supports evolution and none supports the direct creation by one or more deities. However, the theory of evolution does not state that deities could not have worked through evolution to get the species they desire. While its says random mutation is all that is necessary to end up where we are today, that does not rule out changes caused by non-random means such as deities directly causing mutations. And it certainly does not rule out selective breeding programs by deities (e.g. Cupid may have been very selective when shooting his arrows).
Very interesting!

I hadn't thought about it quite like that before, but I think deities may have had something to do with jump-starting life. Not necessarily gods as we know them today, but the underlying, primal Divine energy that is in everything. Like, a Big Bang of life. Norse myth explains it as the cow Audhumla licked the primal ice. After that, evolution took over (for the most part, perhaps with exceptions as Randall points out!).

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 16, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »

The big bang and evolution really aren't related. The "Big Bang" is (part) of an explanation of how the universe came into being. Evolution is a description of how life changed with time and changes to the environment on Earth. (Note that "how life on Earth came to be" is yet a third question.)

I think one of the favorite tactics of the fundie crowd is throwing irrelevant questions into the evolution "debate". Evolution doesn't explain why the moon isn't made of green cheese! It must be wrong!
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: July 16, 2008, 03:14:01 pm »

I actually don't "believe" in evolution -- evolution IS. You don't get a choice about whether to believe in facts or not.

And I think saying I "believe" in evolution plays into creationists hands by putting it on the level of faith-based belief.

Koi is wise.

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 16, 2008, 03:34:10 pm »

Lol; I'm laughing because you seem to have delved into my head and pulled out the thoughts that I find so difficult to voice coherently.

My husband always tells this story of how his mother asked him one day when he was a teenager whether school had taught him about evolution yet and whether or not he believed in it (his mother is an extremely single-minded Jehovah's Witness).

He replied: 'Of course I believe in evolution, mom. Saying you don't believe in evolution is like saying you don't believe in this table right here. All things evolve, and continue to do so'. She was completely horrified, saying that Jehovah created humans and she had brought him up to know that. My husband tried to explain that evolution doesn't automatically rule out the possibility that God created us. I don't think he was very successful though, as to this day she finds it a very sore subject.

I find it very strange that a number of people seem to think that the word 'evolution' is identical to saying 'we all used to be apes'.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)