The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 07, 2021, 09:28:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2021, 09:28:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chaos Magic and Christianity  (Read 23551 times)
Chaos
Last Login:April 08, 2007, 10:19:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Chaote

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 07, 2007, 04:16:08 pm »

Hello, I was wondering what people think about the possibility of going to and Christian church and taking communion as part of a paradigm shift well being a chaote.  Would it be totally unethical?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 07, 2007, 04:30:33 pm »

Hello, I was wondering what people think about the possibility of going to and Christian church and taking communion as part of a paradigm shift well being a chaote.  Would it be totally unethical?

I am not Chaote. I have never studied Chaote ways or Chaote theories. However, I believe in this: When you walk into the place or home of a deity that is not yours, you must respect (not necessarily honor, but respect) her/him/them. This means being truthful with the deity in question (if not necessarily the followers). I doubt a god would be all that pleased if you underwent the sacred rituals (of becoming a servant/follower/one of that deity's people) without the intention of remaining in that religion.

I repeat - I am not a Chaote. Chaotes may have a different viewpoint. I am only stating my personal beliefs in that regard, in the hopes that it may help you decide what you believe.

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 07, 2007, 05:48:40 pm »

I don't know about ethics, but in order to partake in Catholic Communion, of course you'll have to talk to a priest about converting, and you may have to get baptized first - obviously you can't just walk into Mass one Sunday and eat the Host.

You'll have a special little "First Communion" ceremony with other converts. If I remember correctly, you'll also have to do your first confession beforehand (or a little afterward). The priest will allot you a number of prayers appropriate to whatever sins you confess. After that, you can always back out of Catholicism as long as you don't go through Confirmation (a ceremony not often talked about in popular culture, in which fourteen-year-olds line up to get slapped). It's just what it sounds like - it's your final decision whether or not to dedicate yourself to the Church and its faith.

It might be an interesting experience for you - Catholicism is definitely an interesting and complex paradigm. However, most priests wouldn't approve of most forms of sorcery, so you may want to be discreet about that. Though some are surprisingly cool about it; you'd get in a lot more trouble for it with an evangelist reverend than with a Catholic priest. Why that is, I honestly don't know - maybe there's just more of a "mystical" tradition within Catholicism than with most Protestant traditions. The Church has accepted Santeria as non-heretical, so it seems that petitionary magick within a Catholic context is generally cool with them.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 07, 2007, 06:14:02 pm »

It's an interesting idea, but I think it gets a bit sticky if you want to respect the more sincere believers.  It's been done by others in the past, I'm fairly sure, but then Chaos isn't always practiced by people whose first priority is ethics. Smiley

You could always try it in the spirit of 'considering becoming a Christian.'  If you'd actually consider converting, I'd find exploring the paradigm less unethical in that process.  On the other hand, if you have no intention of staying in the paradigm, and *do* want to be respectful, I'd consider trying something more low key.

For example: Read from the Bible - particularly the teachings of Jesus, and try to think about how that could colour your view of the world.  Try behaving as you'd expect a good Christian to.  Maybe pray to God?  I think there are things you can quite easily do without inserting yourself into an already existing community.

(You do raise an interesting point, but this is one of the stick areas of Chaos magic.  The system itself has no ethics, and encourages practitioners to have changeable ethics, so I can't tell you 'you must NOT do this', but I think there are rational reasons to try a different approach to the same purpose.  Smiley )

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #4: April 07, 2007, 07:00:59 pm »

Short answer:
Yes, it would be unethical.

Long answer:
Taking communion isn't just gulping down grape juice and a cracker.  Transubstantiation and such aside, taking communion is the equivalent of saying "I am a Christian; I believe that Jesus is the son of God."  Communion comes from the same root word as community; it is a way of proclaiming membership in a Christian community.  If you aren't really a part of the community, then you are lying to the people in the church.  And, since I consider lying unethical, I think it would be unethical as well as disrespectful. 

Sperran
Breeze
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2007, 01:46:24 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 08, 2007, 07:00:19 am »

I don't know about ethics, but in order to partake in Catholic Communion, of course you'll have to talk to a priest about converting, and you may have to get baptized first - obviously you can't just walk into Mass one Sunday and eat the Host.

You'll have a special little "First Communion" ceremony with other converts. If I remember correctly, you'll also have to do your first confession beforehand (or a little afterward). The priest will allot you a number of prayers appropriate to whatever sins you confess. After that, you can always back out of Catholicism as long as you don't go through Confirmation (a ceremony not often talked about in popular culture, in which fourteen-year-olds line up to get slapped).

I refer to myself as a fallen-away Catholic, and I was raised under the Roman Catholic rules ... Baptism, First Holy Communion, Confirmation.  Regarding your statement about 14 year olds getting slapped for Confirmation, this doesn't ring true with me, although I'm in my 50s now and memory isn't quite what it used to be.  As I recall, I was confirmed when I was around 8 or 9, no slapping involved, and the only thing I can remember coming away from the ceremony with was my Confirmation name (freedom to chose whatever middle name I wanted to officially carry around for the balance of my life as long as it was an approved name after one of the saints, etc.).
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: April 08, 2007, 08:26:31 am »

(a ceremony not often talked about in popular culture, in which fourteen-year-olds line up to get slapped).

I'm going to echo another poster here:  Slapped?  Huh?

Granted that my own Confirmation was Lutheran and not Catholic (though there are an awful lot of similarities between the two), but...  Physical violence seems awfully out of place.  Is there some bit of context we're missing here?

I was also under the impression that with an adult baptism, Confirmation would be unnecessary.  It was presented to us, at least, as confirmation/affirmation of our baptism, accepting as an adult what our parents had begun when we were infants.  (And clearly can still be backed out of; it's not a coercive spell to force you to stay in the church or anything.  I'd agree that undergoing it under false pretenses would be highly unethical, though.)  Again, granted that this was in a Lutheran church, and I'm not exactly an expert on these matters anyway, though.

Too bad Koi's still busy with offline life...  Her input would be really helpful here.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #7: April 08, 2007, 10:03:55 am »

I'm going to echo another poster here:  Slapped?  Huh?

Poking around a bit, it looks like a slap was at one point part of the ceremony.  Finding the reasoning behind it is a bit dodgy, though.  One reference says it refers the the "turn the other cheek" verse; another says it was thought to be an exorcistic tool.  At any rate, it appears to have been phased out. 

Sperran
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: April 08, 2007, 11:15:40 am »

Another thought occurs, although it isn't related to the ethics question.  Do you have a plan in particular for what you plan to do with the paradigm shift to Christianity?  (for example, is there an operation you want to perform that is situated within a vaguely Christian worldview?)

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
MorningStar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 13, 2007, 04:38:08 pm

Religion: Syncretic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 09, 2007, 05:05:52 pm »

+++ I doubt a god would be all that pleased if you underwent the sacred rituals (of becoming a servant/follower/one of that deity's people) without the intention of remaining in that religion.  +++

Nah, Jesus welcomes everybody.  *People* get very funny about who should or shouldn't take communion, but He's a lot less fussy.   Smiley

MorningStar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 13, 2007, 04:38:08 pm

Religion: Syncretic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 09, 2007, 06:10:13 pm »

+++ Hello, I was wondering what people think about the possibility of going to and Christian church and taking communion as part of a paradigm shift well being a chaote.  Would it be totally unethical?  +++

Im kinda curious, but what makes you think that taking communion will offer you a paradigm shift?  Go ahead and feel free to take communion, but don't expect it to be meaningful to you.  Christian spirituality is about a lot more than taking communion and turning up to church on a Sunday morning; copying the external practises of this particular faith won't deliver the deep, internal insight that you seem to be seeking.  In order to do that you need to make a sincere and heartfelt commitment to it and be willing to let what happens happen.   Despite all the religious trappings and the institutionalization, Christianity (at its heart) is a mystery tradition and needs to be treated as such.  As with any spiritual tradition, an understanding and appreciation of its teachings only come with time, practise and study. 

I think the ethics issue is a bit of a moot point.  What is more important ( I feel ) is whether or not the Christian path will foster your foundational  spiritual goals.  If it can then "opportunities" will begin to open up for you and all that's left for you to do is chose whether or not to take them.  On the other hand - if it has nothing to offer you - then you can take communion as much as you like, go to church as much as you like, read The Bible as much as you like and nothing will happen.  No paradigm shift, nada.

If you *are* convinced that you wanna give Christianity a try, then my suggestion to you is to forget the church and communion for a bit and just pray to the Christian God.  Summink along the lines of "Dear Jesus, Im looking for a paradigm shift, can you please help me? Amen".  Then wait.  Interestingly enough, the very act of prayer will be a paradigm shift as Im assuming that you're not the type whose prays to anybody on a normal basis. Smiley   So yeah, you want a paradigm shift a la Xstianity, start with prayer.  You could go really wild and make it a priority to spend 5 mins each day for the next moon cycle praying to Jesus. 

Who knows what'll happen. lol.  Cheesy
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 09, 2007, 06:21:38 pm »

I think the ethics issue is a bit of a moot point.  What is more important ( I feel ) is whether or not the Christian path will foster your foundational  spiritual goals

I don't know what the OP's intentions were, as its not like Chaos magic comes with a firm rulebook, but generally practitioners of Chaos magic are not seeking 'spiritual goals', but generally practical aims (with the exception of experiments aimed at seeing where the boundaries are weak or strong, etc).  So the probability, or lack thereof, of a brief paradigm shift nurturing spirituality may be a moot point.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: April 09, 2007, 06:42:15 pm »

I think you are confusing the idea of a 'paradigm shift' with a foundational spiritual change meant to alter a person's life.

As I understand it, Chaotes see the various forms of magic, and the structure that supports each separate form, as a paradigm.  If one wanted to perform a spell in another paradigm, say wiccan or ceremonial, they would set themselves, for the length of their working, to 'believe' in that paradigm.  Once the spell or experiment is finished, the paradigm is discarded and the chaote goes back to being whatever they normally are.

Chaotes try to train themselves to be able to believe, deeply and fervently, in 'anything' for five minutes, a week, however long it takes, and then step back out of that belief.  It is a magical technique, not a spiritual commitment.

At least, that's my understanding from reading and a tiny bit of experimentation.  It is usually very hard to know what a chaote 'truly' believes.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 10, 2007, 12:08:49 am »

At least, that's my understanding from reading and a tiny bit of experimentation.  It is usually very hard to know what a chaote 'truly' believes.

As far as I can tell from what you just wrote, the key factor to chaote belief is that beliefs themselves are the key to changing the universe.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: April 10, 2007, 04:15:01 am »

I think you are confusing the idea of a 'paradigm shift' with a foundational spiritual change meant to alter a person's life.

As I understand it, Chaotes see the various forms of magic, and the structure that supports each separate form, as a paradigm.  If one wanted to perform a spell in another paradigm, say wiccan or ceremonial, they would set themselves, for the length of their working, to 'believe' in that paradigm.  Once the spell or experiment is finished, the paradigm is discarded and the chaote goes back to being whatever they normally are.

Chaotes try to train themselves to be able to believe, deeply and fervently, in 'anything' for five minutes, a week, however long it takes, and then step back out of that belief.  It is a magical technique, not a spiritual commitment.

Absent

You pretty much got it there. Smiley  There's some debate over specifics and so on, but in theory that's how its meant to be.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)