The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 25, 2020, 03:15:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 03:15:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Long And Short Of It  (Read 17801 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: July 17, 2008, 01:39:16 am »

I blame Koi!

Now I think we need a thread where everyone gives their long, explanatory title ... and what they typically shorten it to.

Well, I have 'Kemetic Feri Discordian' in my short line, which is a decent summation, I suppose; those are three things with names.  I actually mostly just say 'Kemetic', as that's the basis of where I'm coming from, but it doesn't help communication much 'cause most people haven't heard of it.

If I were being comprehensively descriptive I'd probably have to go with something like:

Secularly-raised Setian Kemetic neo-reconstructionist ecstatic mystic heretic pledged to Hethert, dedicated to Wepwawet, and beloved of Khnum, student of the Anderson Feri tradition (Morningstar line; hoping to train in Blackheart line as well) with a heavy kitchen-witch and hearth-guardian sensibility, heavily leavened with ancestral influences (particularly Slavic folk customs, some Irish lore, and a ladleful of dwojwierny), part-time disciple of the Discordian saint Sri Syadasti, dabbler in spirit dealings drawn primarily to Bluejay, with half-assed influence from a variety of sources that illuminate my personal understanding of Egyptiana, including particularly a smattering of Judaism, Hinduism (especially Shaivite Hinduism), Shinto, and West African Traditional Religions and the African Diaspora Religions.

With eclectic shared practice with primarily-family, thus heavily neo-recon-Celtic influenced.

If the thing that's distinctly dual-trad at the moment manages to synthesise into a syncretic jobbie, its name will be something like Ab Khem.

And this is why I wrote the Cauldron article on how not to screw up eclecticism!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 17, 2008, 02:24:52 am »

In short, I'm a Hellenic Polytheist meaning that I'm a worshiper of the Greek Gods.

If you want a longer title, than "Pagan who worships the Greek Gods in a somewhat recon-ish manner who also dabbles in various forms of magic and has interest in other pantheons but doesn't worship any even though a non-Greek deity* may be trying to get his attention but heck, he doesn't do much religious work with his own gods either because he's lazy.  Also secular-minded with a belief in paranormal phenomenon and has a rather bleak outlook on the world" would probably do.

I still think the other thread may have been good enough, but you're right that it would be appropriate to have one on a 101 board too.

*Darkhawk, you're a follower of Set, right?  Mind giving me a little advice.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: July 17, 2008, 11:05:14 am »

I've got nothing so long and interesting.  LOL  I believe I've got "Hellenic Pagan" in my short line.

The long version:  Semi-practicing (that is, not non-practicing but not exactly doing a whole lot either) beginner Reform Hellenic Pagan with a tendency toward the scholarly and historically accurate and away from the eclectic, but not quite Reconstructionist, with a particular calling to the worship of Apollo, very rarely dabbling in magic and energy work.

I almost feel I should include my "formerly"s there, because they've influenced the person I've become and the choices I've made, but as they're not actually part of my current religious outlook/practices/etc., I'm not certain whether it's appropriate to put my whole religious resume in there or not.

...Former very liberal Lutheran with an emphasis on the love and grace of God but not so much on the hellfire and damnation; former sort-of agnostic squishy indie Pagan with (at the time) few religious roots and fewer firm or organized principles; former seeker and flirter with a path that I should've seen coming long before it snuck up, hit me over the head, and dragged me off to Greece.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 17, 2008, 11:39:54 am »

I blame Koi!

I'll give this a try.

Long version: "Cynically optimistic religiously eclectic pagan incorporating elements of panentheism, hard polytheism, and Neo-Wicca with influences from Celtic, Norse, Roman, Greek, and Egyptian mythologies, Discordianism, Flamekeeping,* Vatican II Catholicism, Conservative Judaism, Hermetic magical theory, chaos magic, and modern "shamanic" tradition who is an undergraduate student of modern religious thought."

Short version:  "Over-complicated pagan."

*Yes, Shad, Flamekeeping's one of my influences.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Lifewish
Journeyman
Last Login:October 06, 2011, 11:27:39 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 17, 2008, 11:50:48 am »

...Former very liberal Lutheran with an emphasis on the love and grace of God but not so much on the hellfire and damnation; former sort-of agnostic squishy indie Pagan with (at the time) few religious roots and fewer firm or organized principles; former seeker and flirter with a path that I should've seen coming long before it snuck up, hit me over the head, and dragged me off to Greece.

Wow!  If you replace Lutheran with Episcopalian and Greece with Egypt, that's my religious history.

Now, it's "Non-Recon Kemetic," which, since almost everybody who ever asked has responded, "Hunh?" gets translated as "I worship the gods of ancient Egypt--at least some of them--with prayers and offerings, but not the same way the ancient Egyptians worshipped, since we don't know much about the religious lives of ordinary people, and there's no way I'm any kind of cleric. In daily life, I try to uphold Ma'at, which is both a principle and a goddess.  There is no one-word translation;  Ma'at is truth, honor, justice, Cosmic and personal order, righteousness, and 'the way things ought to be.' "

Lifewish
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 17, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »

Short version: Religious witch or Religious witch with obviously Wiccan influences.

Longer version: Not-Wiccan by the stricter definitions I prefer, but a priestess and witch in a religious witchcraft tradition that involves three initiatory degrees, religious mysteries, oathbound material, 8 Sabbats, Esbats, circles, four elements, and so on - the differences are in focus and some of how we view polarity issues. I'm HPS for a small and new coven, which is delightfully filling all of my free time in ways I adore (currently at the 'writing stuff up' stage)

Personal practice involves two English deities who do not have researchable names, a certain amount of astral work (including a running internship in the Great Library), music and dance devotional practice, and a certain amount of dancing around animals that keep showing up in my life. I also consider the provision of information in a broad definition to be one of my long-term religious vocations, which fits tidily with being a librarian.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 17, 2008, 01:22:33 pm »

*Darkhawk, you're a follower of Set, right?  Mind giving me a little advice.

Heh.  What about?  Big Red's a trip. Wink

ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 17, 2008, 01:43:59 pm »

I blame Koi!

Well, I have 'Kemetic Feri Discordian' in my short line, which is a decent summation, I suppose; those are three things with names.  I actually mostly just say 'Kemetic', as that's the basis of where I'm coming from, but it doesn't help communication much 'cause most people haven't heard of it.

If I were being comprehensively descriptive I'd probably have to go with something like:

Secularly-raised Setian Kemetic neo-reconstructionist ecstatic mystic heretic pledged to Hethert, dedicated to Wepwawet, and beloved of Khnum, student of the Anderson Feri tradition (Morningstar line; hoping to train in Blackheart line as well) with a heavy kitchen-witch and hearth-guardian sensibility, heavily leavened with ancestral influences (particularly Slavic folk customs, some Irish lore, and a ladleful of dwojwierny), part-time disciple of the Discordian saint Sri Syadasti, dabbler in spirit dealings drawn primarily to Bluejay, with half-assed influence from a variety of sources that illuminate my personal understanding of Egyptiana, including particularly a smattering of Judaism, Hinduism (especially Shaivite Hinduism), Shinto, and West African Traditional Religions and the African Diaspora Religions.

With eclectic shared practice with primarily-family, thus heavily neo-recon-Celtic influenced.

If the thing that's distinctly dual-trad at the moment manages to synthesise into a syncretic jobbie, its name will be something like Ab Khem.

And this is why I wrote the Cauldron article on how not to screw up eclecticism!

My path is as follows:  I am a polytheist eclectic Pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism. That's the short version.
The God I connect with the most is Set [Egyptian].  I also feel close to the Norse and Celtic Pantheons.  I also honor Kali and Pele.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 17, 2008, 01:44:48 pm »

Short version? Druid/Wiccan?

As my profile says, I'm following the Druid path with Wiccan Influences, but at the same time trying to learn as much as possible about other religions as well, for other possible influences, not sure if this would make me considered eclectic... although at the same time I'm kind of learning that Feri is quite interesting to me also.
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 17, 2008, 01:47:43 pm »

These are all an interesting and somewhat comical read!

Short version: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings

Long version: A practicioner of natural magic who follows a spiritual path that places an emphasis upon nature and who incorporates the Neo-Wiccan concept of the Seasonal Cycle into her path and who holds a complex view of the divine that loosely includes monotheism, duotheism and polytheism in that I believe the divine is all one both immanent and trascendant being, that splits into male and female deities in order to have a relationship with humans, and then further splits into individual humanized characteristics in order to provide help to humans.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 17, 2008, 02:04:44 pm »

Heh.  What about?  Big Red's a trip. Wink

Mainly I want to know what he wants, so what would be the best way of going about it?

My Spiritual Blog
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 17, 2008, 02:09:51 pm »

"Black Heart"? Smiley

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: July 17, 2008, 03:11:54 pm »

Mainly I want to know what he wants, so what would be the best way of going about it?

... heh.

Roughly speaking and in generic, He wants people to be strong, capable of overcoming difficulties, able to stand up for themselves, self-ruling, and maintaining of sound boundaries, and He will throw rocks at them until they either figure it out or are crushed.  He doesn't necessarily want to destroy people, but if it happens, oh well.  "Gentle" for Neb.y is "This needs to be broken, so I'll do it fast and hard rather than letting it grind on in agony for ages".

For devotees, He wants people to be unafraid of being perverts, deviants, and redheads.

His standard answer to "How do I go about this" is roughly "Grow some balls", which is perhaps not terribly helpful.  (That's about as socially acceptable to polite company as His answers to that sort of question get.)  But part of the point is the Doing It Yourself.

That any help?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: July 17, 2008, 03:18:50 pm »

"Black Heart"? Smiley

It's kind of an obvious place to go with where I started, isn't it? Wink

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: July 17, 2008, 04:11:22 pm »

That any help?

It is, and given that info and some of the things happening to me in RL it makes some sense.

But what about formally approaching Him to ask?

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)