The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 25, 2020, 04:13:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 04:13:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Long And Short Of It  (Read 17802 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: July 17, 2008, 04:43:54 pm »

But what about formally approaching Him to ask?

Good luck with that? :}  (Seriously, I've never had any luck asking Him what He wants of me.  Generally I hit a point of, "I'm going to do this and I don't care what you think!" and then get a "You're a good kid."  Heh.)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: July 17, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »

I blame Koi!

And here Koi is. Smiley

Short: Catholic

Long: Over-educated post-Vatican II English-speaking Irish-descended American boomerang Catholic heavily influenced by Daoism in formative teenaged years.

And even that only gives you information if you understand the freight that comes with being an AMERICAN Catholic or a Post-Vatican-II Catholic or whatever.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 17, 2008, 05:48:11 pm »

I blame Koi!
lol. I'm enjoying this thread...

Short: Asatru / Taoist (/Wiccan?)

Long: This translates to "hopeful young woman who is drawn to Heathen ways without the frantic reconstructionist dependence upon historical evidence, who is a truly a Taoist at heart if nothing else, and reluctantly recognizes she is a little bit Wiccan with her belief in the seasonal sabbats. She's also a little bit agnostic, somehow, but doesn't over-analyze it."

Grin

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: July 17, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »

I blame Koi! <snip>
And this is why I wrote the Cauldron article on how not to screw up eclecticism!

Short: flamekeeper

Long: Polytheistic worshiping a "super god is in you" pagan type dude with the truth is there tendancies and a obsession with making the world go the best way it should.

Does that even count as long?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 17, 2008, 07:31:20 pm »

I blame Darkhawk!  ::nods::  :-)

I have Kemetic, Orisha devotee and Witch on my tag line for religion. 

My long answer would be:

A Kemetic Neo-Recon devotional mystic who is a daughter of Aset, Nebet Het and Sekhmet with a calling to become a Servant of all three, devotee of Yinepu/Wepwawet, Nit, Wesir and Mut, a follower of the Orisha Oya, Oshun and Oshoosi with vocational callings there as well, but no formal training in any ATR/ADR, I honor Kwan Yin and Skadi, my ancestors, and I've been influenced by African Traditional Religions/Diasporic faiths, Mahayana Buddhism, Feri Witchcraft, Hellenic Polytheism (I admire Hera, Hestia and Hekate), Goddess Worship and Shakti Hinduism.

I guess I basically have what Garnet would call a "thematic pantheon".  My main six have death, healing, a warrior path and magic in there. 

As for the Witch label, I've been studying Heka, folk magic, and Hoodoo.  Hrmmm.  Hekadoo?  LOL. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 17, 2008, 07:36:01 pm »

Long version: A practicioner of natural magic who follows a spiritual path that places an emphasis upon nature and who incorporates the Neo-Wiccan concept of the Seasonal Cycle into her path and who holds a complex view of the divine that loosely includes monotheism, duotheism and polytheism in that I believe the divine is all one both immanent and trascendant being, that splits into male and female deities in order to have a relationship with humans, and then further splits into individual humanized characteristics in order to provide help to humans.

What she said. But I can add that I started studying Tantra last fall, and I hope will be initiated in the Sha'can tradition in September.

Short version; Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 17, 2008, 07:48:52 pm »

I blame Koi!

Hmm... Well, I sort of avoid a 'short' by writing something that is completely incomprehensible to most. In English it pretty much means "I am Hers, I am Her" which is pretty much the shortest phrase I have managed to come up with to explain my path.

The 'long' would be something like "Pantheist with heavy Daoist influences who considers the divine to be the energy of which the universe is constructed. The divine has no conciousness beyond that of each individual sentient being that is a part of it." But even that is really a 'short', the 'long' of it can not really be explained, to quote the Dao de Jing;

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

So in conversation it usually gets shortened to "I'm very religious but I can't really explain it. It's a feeling, a beautiful, indescibable experiencing of the divine. It's the feeling you get when you are standing on the beach and the waves are washing up between your toes, or you are running up a hill in the early morning and you break over the top and there is the sunrise. I can't really explain it any better than that." I find that a lot of people, regardless of their religion, can relate to that. I think almost everyone experiences it, they just experience it in different situations and interpret it in different ways.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: July 17, 2008, 08:27:08 pm »

"I'm very religious but I can't really explain it. It's a feeling, a beautiful, indescibable experiencing of the divine. It's the feeling you get when you are standing on the beach and the waves are washing up between your toes, or you are running up a hill in the early morning and you break over the top and there is the sunrise. I can't really explain it any better than that."

Very descriptive.  Consider this borrowed, please.   Cheesy

Short answer:  Feral Brighideach

Long answer:  Exclusive devotee and thwapee of Brighid (that's the "Brighideach" part), who is very interested in exploring the historical accuracy of pre-Christian Celtic religious thought but who is also interested in exploring applications of that thought to the present, and who doesn't much care how anyone else worships.  IOW, I'm much more focused on developing my personal practice, guided by both my understanding of pre-Christian Celtic belief regarding Brighid --who is, to me, the Original and Eternal Divine Source -- than in trying to recreate ancient practices (that's the "feral" part). 

Wow.  That was much harder than I thought it was going to be.   Tongue

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: July 17, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »

to quote the Dao de Jing;

You and I own the same translation Cheesy
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 17, 2008, 11:08:30 pm »

What she said. But I can add that I started studying Tantra last fall, and I hope will be initiated in the Sha'can tradition in September.

Short version; Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings.

What I said? Including my view of the divine? 'Cause I've always thought I must be slightly nutso when it comes to that  Cheesy

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 17, 2008, 11:09:58 pm »

You and I own the same translation Cheesy

Which one is it?

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 17, 2008, 11:15:22 pm »

What I said? Including my view of the divine? 'Cause I've always thought I must be slightly nutso when it comes to that  Cheesy

well, it takes one to know one I guess Wink
Actually I was so relieved when I started studying Tantra b/c that view of the Divine is quite consistent with Hindu Tantra. I think Bhuddist too, but not sure. They don't put as much emphasis on the Divine Feminine as the Hindu variety, I don't believe,.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 17, 2008, 11:26:44 pm »

well, it takes one to know one I guess Wink
Actually I was so relieved when I started studying Tantra b/c that view of the Divine is quite consistent with Hindu Tantra. I think Bhuddist too, but not sure. They don't put as much emphasis on the Divine Feminine as the Hindu variety, I don't believe,.

Hmm...I might have to go a-googling Hindu Tantra.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: July 17, 2008, 11:34:08 pm »

I blame Koi!
I guess it is my turn...

Short: 'Pagan'

Long: Confussed Pagan that is pulled in too many directions, formly a follower of Druidism and Celtic Recon and beginning to lean that way again, low ritualist and magical side, but do enjoy working in the kitchen and the garden, animist, medium polytheist, agnostic, Divine honoring, fae loving, vegetarian Buddhist student that is again confussed.

hmmm... I think I have issues.  Grin

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #29: July 18, 2008, 06:14:27 am »

Heh.  What about?  Big Red's a trip. Wink
  He certainly is.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)