The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 25, 2020, 05:00:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 05:00:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Long And Short Of It  (Read 17804 times)
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: July 18, 2008, 09:32:23 am »

Which one is it?

Stephen Mitchell. It's a well-regarded English version for "lay" use.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Te-Ching-Stephen-Mitchell/dp/0060812451

Manages to strike a felicitous balance between capturing the poetry and providing accuracy.

The amazon comments tell you the scholarly problems with it, but obviously you can get yourself a scholarly translation as well -- which tends toward the painfully wordy to properly capture the Chinese and loses all the poetry. I tend to use the Stephen Mitchell version in my comparative religions class because the scholarly versions tend to sound like law books and are dull, hard-to-follow, and lose my students' interest -- and they do little to capture the spareness and beauty of the Tao in Chinese.

All of which is a long way to say, as long as you're aware of that issue, I love the Mitchell version!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #31: July 18, 2008, 10:11:51 am »

Hmm...I might have to go a-googling Hindu Tantra.

I posted some good links here
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=6213.msg107171#msg107171

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #32: July 18, 2008, 02:29:02 pm »

Stephen Mitchell. It's a well-regarded English version for "lay" use.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Te-Ching-Stephen-Mitchell/dp/0060812451

Manages to strike a felicitous balance between capturing the poetry and providing accuracy.

All of which is a long way to say, as long as you're aware of that issue, I love the Mitchell version!

Thank you.  I'll definitely need to get that at some point. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: July 18, 2008, 04:50:44 pm »

You and I own the same translation Cheesy

That's actually one I found online that seemed close to my favorite one that I have at home (I have a few Smiley ) all my stuff is currently in storage while I traipse around the world... I know the gist of most of the verses by heart, but not well enough to be certain I had got a quote quite right (not that it matters given the variation between translations).

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: July 18, 2008, 04:56:25 pm »

Just why I have a few copies (as well as the original Chinese with English explanations of each symbol)! I'm working on putting together my own version from all of these that I can have on my altar. I would never call it scholarly as I pick and choose meanings from among translations based on how they call to me, but it works for someone who doesn't try to call herself Daoist.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: July 19, 2008, 12:20:09 am »

Thanks, I went through them. The second one, Shiva Shakti Mandalam, confused the hell out of me because of all the names that I don't understand. I'll go slowly though and try to make sense of it all.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: July 19, 2008, 04:24:16 am »

I blame Koi!

Of course blame it on the Christian.   Tongue

Okay my short:  "generic" pagan

The long version of that is a bit convoluted, although I have been trying to figure out exactly how to put it.  So, here goes.

I have no way of saying this comes from that or that comes from this.  I believe in a sort of Ultimate divine, that is all things, and from which all things come.  I do not call this a god, I call this Chaos, for lack of a better term.  I also believe that there are many gods, that not all are one and the same, nor are all females one female, all males one male (I think I've heard the term hard polytheist used to refer to people like me, although this is the first place I have heard the term.)   

I believe in magic, although my practice of it does not enter into my spirituality.  I believe in the Tarot not as a tool for finding out the future, but as a tool for "reading" your own self, and again this does not enter into my spirituality.  I do not believe in fate, coincidence, etc.  I believe in free will and choices.  I believe in logic (although sometimes I may not use it to the best of my ability). 

I believe that everyone including myself is wrong on one or more aspects of "the ultimate truth".  I do not believe that there is such a thing as evil, however, I don't really believe in such a thing as good.  I believe in balance above all, and try to maintain that (unsuccessfully sometimes).  I believe in being openminded, but not to the point that mine falls out.  Erm... There is much more, but I don't think that I can put it all here, I'm still in the process of trying to piece everything together.

And last, I believe that I have officially broken my own brain.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #37: July 19, 2008, 11:15:18 am »

I blame Koi!

Well, I have 'Kemetic Feri Discordian' in my short line, which is a decent summation, I suppose; those are three things with names.  I actually mostly just say 'Kemetic', as that's the basis of where I'm coming from, but it doesn't help communication much 'cause most people haven't heard of it.

If I were being comprehensively descriptive I'd probably have to go with something like:

Secularly-raised Setian Kemetic neo-reconstructionist ecstatic mystic heretic pledged to Hethert, dedicated to Wepwawet, and beloved of Khnum, student of the Anderson Feri tradition (Morningstar line; hoping to train in Blackheart line as well) with a heavy kitchen-witch and hearth-guardian sensibility, heavily leavened with ancestral influences (particularly Slavic folk customs, some Irish lore, and a ladleful of dwojwierny), part-time disciple of the Discordian saint Sri Syadasti, dabbler in spirit dealings drawn primarily to Bluejay, with half-assed influence from a variety of sources that illuminate my personal understanding of Egyptiana, including particularly a smattering of Judaism, Hinduism (especially Shaivite Hinduism), Shinto, and West African Traditional Religions and the African Diaspora Religions.

With eclectic shared practice with primarily-family, thus heavily neo-recon-Celtic influenced.

If the thing that's distinctly dual-trad at the moment manages to synthesise into a syncretic jobbie, its name will be something like Ab Khem.

And this is why I wrote the Cauldron article on how not to screw up eclecticism!

I would label myself: eclectic polytheist Pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism honoring the deities Gaia, Kali, Pele, the Norse, Egyptian and Celtic Pantheons, nature spirits, totem animals and mythological creatures.  That's the long version.

My favorite deity would have to be The Egyptian God, Set.  He likes appearing to me in my dreams for some reason. Horus decided to show up in my dreams but I don't feel connected to him at all.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #38: July 19, 2008, 11:20:46 am »

Thanks, I went through them. The second one, Shiva Shakti Mandalam, confused the hell out of me because of all the names that I don't understand. I'll go slowly though and try to make sense of it all.

Yes, I have been working on getting through that one for about a year now. The sanskrit can be very slow going. There's also a good Yahoo group, Daughters_of_Kali, lots of very knowledgeable and nice people. I've been a member for years, mostly just as a lurker, but when I have questions someone always knows the answer or where to get the answer.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: July 19, 2008, 11:26:41 pm »

I blame Koi!

Long version:  To borrow a term from Star, semi-practicing, with Gods and Goddres from a number of religions, including but not necessarily all inclussive. Hekate, Pan, Asclepius, Odin (as the wanderer), Freya, Heimdal, Llew, Herme, Arianrhod. 

A short version:  I am a hard polytheist, eclectic pagan.
MeadowSweet
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 20, 2008, 07:24:04 am

Religion: hedge witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: July 19, 2008, 11:35:28 pm »

I blame Koi!

short version: disillusioned solitary hedgewitch

long version : *suspicious sideways glace*  Who wants to know?

Anathema didn't only believe in ley-lines, but in seals, whales, bicycles, rainforests, whole grain in loves, recycled paper, white South Africans out of South Africa, and Americans out of practically everywhere down to and including Long Island.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: July 20, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »

short version: disillusioned solitary hedgewitch

long version : *suspicious sideways glace*  Who wants to know?

Anyone you would be willing to tell.  The disillusioned part raised my eyebrows, though.  Wink

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #42: July 20, 2008, 06:18:03 pm »

Anyone you would be willing to tell.  The disillusioned part raised my eyebrows, though.  Wink

why? I know some solitary witches who have become disillusioned about working in groups, and that's why they are solitary-including me, for a while.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: July 20, 2008, 09:36:32 pm »

why? I know some solitary witches who have become disillusioned about working in groups, and that's why they are solitary-including me, for a while.

Ah.  I just didn't understand why the term was used.  That makes sense though.  I'm just sometimes too curious for my own good.   Tongue

My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #44: July 20, 2008, 09:43:46 pm »

I'm just sometimes too curious for my own good.   Tongue

I don't think that's possible Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)