The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 21, 2018, 08:05:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2018, 08:05:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The internet and spiritual development?  (Read 2272 times)
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 17, 2008, 04:16:12 am »

Do you think that the internet aids or hinders spiritual development?  Is it a little bit of both, or does it do neither?

Also in what ways, or basically why do you think this?

And last, I will point out that I am asking this question from two ends.  On the individual level, as well as on the worldwide level.  (Basically how does this relate to an individual person, and how does this relate to humanity as a whole).  Feel free to answer either or both (just please let us know which you are referring to, to avoid confusion.)

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 17, 2008, 04:41:54 am »

Do you think that the internet aids or hinders spiritual development?  Is it a little bit of both, or does it do neither?

Also in what ways, or basically why do you think this?

And last, I will point out that I am asking this question from two ends.  On the individual level, as well as on the worldwide level.  (Basically how does this relate to an individual person, and how does this relate to humanity as a whole).  Feel free to answer either or both (just please let us know which you are referring to, to avoid confusion.)

My answer for individuals is that it varies depending on the individual.  Some are helped as it opens new possibilities, and clears the way for otherwise inaccessible information.
Others are hindered by this very idea, they want to learn everything all at once and barely manage to glean anything from what they find (sometimes this is just a phase, as it was for me, I still wish I could learn everything, but now know that it is impossible, One would have to have godly intelligence in order to do so).  Some are hindered by the fact that they cannot get past their own preconceived notions of how things should be that they ignore anything that contradicts it, or even go so far as to say that anything that doesn't agree with them is absolutely wrong/evil/stupid/etc. (this too can be a phase).

As for humanity in general, I think it has helped.  The more information becomes widely available, and the more that information is shared, the more we can determine what the truth is.  In the discussion that spawned this thread (I will try to find it again, I'm just not capable of thinking of more than one thing at a time at the moment), someone brought up the idea that various people have parts of the truth, but that no one yet has the whole thing down pat.  I feel that with the accessibility of information will come the ability of human as a whole to put those bits and pieces together, and eventually have that "Aha!" moment, where we discover the full truth. 

Although, there may be a point at which the gods, or whatever forces are at work in the universe decide we know too much that they don't want us to know, and decide that the whole Armaggedon thing is a good idea after all. Tongue  Heh, then again, why make the information available if they didn't want us to eventually figure it all out in the first place?  I think, too, that we are meant to get it in the end.  I think that as we evolve physically and mentally, we are also supposed to be (and are) evolving spiritually.  It may take thousands of years before we can actually come together and agree as a whole race (humanity) on what the truth is.  I have no clue what we will do with that information, nor what will be done with us once we gain it, nor have I really thought too much on that particular idea.

Anyway, I think my thoughts are starting to ramble a bit, so I'm going to bed, just something for yall to think about.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 17, 2008, 05:43:57 am »

Some are helped as it opens new possibilities, and clears the way for otherwise inaccessible information.
Others are hindered by this very idea, they want to learn everything all at once and barely manage to glean anything from what they find
I'd say for me it's both. I was a bit orientated to Eastern world religions, especially Buddhism and Daoism before I discovered Paganism on the net. I wasn't fully lucky with Buddhism and Daoism and started searching for something else. But maybe if I'd haven't discovered the many possibilities of Paganism I'd would have become Buddhist or Daoist or some vague mix. It might have had some spiritual benefits, especially if I'd become more concentrated on just one of those religions.

Now I'm bouncing around here discovering this and that without dedicating myself to something yet. So I'll have a longer searching phase which is a spiritual development as well, but also hinders me from dedicating myself fully to something with all the spiritual benefits a dedication has.

But for me it just feels like the right time to explore more possiblities. I guess a spiritual development has explorative phases as well as dedication phases. I was very dedicated to martial arts and qi gong and some spirituality associated with it, so now is a phase where I'm opening up to something different. At the moment it takes energy away from my former dedication, but somehow it also feeds something back.

So I think the net does maybe prolong the explorative phase or make such a phase possible in the first place, but if it's beneficial or not depends on what the user makes out of it. I someone stayed in her/his birth religion (Catholicism for me) because s/he never found all the possiblities and connections through the net one could have had a good spiritual development if the birth religion fitted at least roughly to the person, but if it basicly doesn't the person could have a unhealthy spiritual development. On the other hand the dangers of the net are that people never decide and swallow one path with all the inconveniences it may have and always bounce around never really dedicating themselves to anything.

It's a bit like a forced marriage could work out well under the right circumstances and depending on the people and a free choice partnership could go all wrong, because it has different problems. But I'd still prefer the free choice partnership.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: July 17, 2008, 12:25:44 pm »

*shrug*  I think it's a tool like any other.  It's possible to use it effectively to aid in gathering information and forming interactions which will help one's spiritual and/or religious development.  It's also possible to royally screw yourself over with it.  The same is true of pretty much any other means of development--books, teachers, even just sitting and meditating by yourself. 

I think there is maybe a somewhat greater possibility for misinformation or being "led astray", as it were, by people who don't really know what they're talking about when you're on the Net.  That's mostly a function of how easy it is to put up a page and look authoritative even when you're not.  You have to screen and process your results no matter how you obtain them, though; there's just potentially more to go through on the Net.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 17, 2008, 05:52:22 pm »

This is something I've contemplated. On a personal level, I think it can be good and bad. Good because it's easier to find information and find people (like on this forum) to discuss and develop. Bad because this information and ability to communicate can create a bit of an overload until you don't know what's up and what's down anymore! I think it could get confusing if you don't know which way you want to go in the first place. Overall, I would say it is good, though. Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: July 17, 2008, 07:54:34 pm »

Yep.  Smiley  For me, the internet has been a great way to learn a lot about a lot of different faith systems directly from practitioners.  It has been somewhat of a hindrance in that I think it delayed me seeking out a religious community and kept me in the dabbling stage for a longer time.  For some folks that probably isn't too negative, but for me becoming part of a real life religious community has encouraged me to make many more life changes than I ever would have embarked on just hangin' out out the Cauldron.

Sperran
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: July 17, 2008, 08:10:06 pm »

For some folks that probably isn't too negative, but for me becoming part of a real life religious community has encouraged me to make many more life changes than I ever would have embarked on just hangin' out out the Cauldron.

For some of us (i.e. the solitary-by-necessity ones) I think it's "not too negative" because we already know that there's not really an offline religious community of the type we would desire within reach.  Sad  (I would just laugh my ass off in sheer shock and amazement if my town actually turned out to have a Hellenic community, for example.)  But in cases where such a thing is available, I can see where that would be a downside of Internet religious interaction.  It's easy to get involved with an online place like TC, get comfy there, and not want to change things.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)