The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 03:20:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 03:20:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gods and Goddesses  (Read 5866 times)
Aurelia
Last Login:July 19, 2008, 10:49:33 pm
United States United States

Religion: Green Witchcraft/Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 18, 2008, 02:10:04 pm »

Merry Meet! I have just found this intriguing forum and I think I will ask a question that I have always wondered about.

When I practice, I feel like I leave the God out of things. I really focus on the Goddess (and by the Goddess I mean a universal Goddess that represents all female deities) and I wonder if that is wrong. I just feel the connection to the Goddess more strongly than the connection to the God, but I don't know if it's okay to leave him out.

Any advice?

Blessings )O(
Aurelia

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

GoldenOak
Apprentice
Last Login:March 16, 2009, 04:40:32 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 18, 2008, 02:23:06 pm »

I sometimes find myself doing this also. There's nothing wrong with being drawn to a paticular deity above all others, and traditionaly in Wicca the Goddess is more important than the God anyway. Don't worry about leaving the God out, though maybe by including him a bit more in your studies you will increase your understanding of the Goddess as well.

Just out of interest, do you celebrate the sabbats? If so, how do you do this with less attention given to the God, as most of them are to do with him?

BB )O(
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 18, 2008, 02:45:24 pm »

Merry Meet! I have just found this intriguing forum and I think I will ask a question that I have always wondered about.

When I practice, I feel like I leave the God out of things. I really focus on the Goddess (and by the Goddess I mean a universal Goddess that represents all female deities) and I wonder if that is wrong. I just feel the connection to the Goddess more strongly than the connection to the God, but I don't know if it's okay to leave him out.

Any advice?

There is nothing wrong with focusing on just the Goddess. 

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 18, 2008, 02:48:51 pm »

Any advice?

From your description of the goddess, it sounds like your practice is a variety of (neo) Wicca?  If so, they seem to be really big on balance and polarity, so you might not be getting everything you could from the religion if you're leaving out the god entirely.

On the other hand, if you're not Wiccan-inspired, don't worry about it.  A lot of people are drawn mostly to goddesses. Either because feminine divinity is such a new and exciting concept for most of us, or because a goddess is the one who speaks to them.  Some find their practice expands to include other deities over the years, others never feel the need.  Nothing wrong with that.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 18, 2008, 03:24:54 pm »

Any advice?

Well, that depends on what you're doing and who (if anyone) you're practicing with.

If you're trying to do something Wiccish, then leaving the God out is really missing a lot of the religion.  If you're trying to do a reconstruction of an older faith, you're really missing the boat.  If you're just doing what feels right, ask yourself and the gods if what you're doing is acceptable.

Given that you feel the need to post about it, I'll turn the question back at you - do you feel what you're doing is working?  Does it feel right?  Or do you feel like you're missing something?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 18, 2008, 04:36:38 pm »

Any advice?

Well, it depends on what it is you are practicing. Wicca for instance has a focus upon polarity so leaving the God out might mean that you are missing the point. If you wanted though, you could look into some of the Dianic traditions of Wicca.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Aurelia
Last Login:July 19, 2008, 10:49:33 pm

Religion: Green Witchcraft/Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 19, 2008, 07:02:25 pm »

I'm not exactly sure what to call my practice. I do a lot of meditation and I am a solitary practitioner. 

I generally use my time in the circle to focus on the feminine aspects of my being and draw strength from that so, for example, I can see how to solve a problem or will myself initiative or empower myself, etc.

I involve the God sometimes when I am asking for something that involves two halves - for example when I was asking to become pregnant (which worked by the way - almost 31 weeks with #1 Smiley). I also involve the God when I am doing something for a sabbat, especially like Beltaine, Lughnasssad(sp) or Yule, for example. But for daily rituals that are just about personal enrichment I tend to focus on the Goddess.

Heartshadow,
I really found it helpful that you turned the question around. It's difficult to answer because it is always different. For example, sometimes just connecting with the Goddess feels totally right, but then there is always the occasion when I don't feel as satisfied after I have closed the circle. Those times where I didn't achieve the satisfaction I was anticipating were often times where I was dealing with something that should have rightly included the God. I can see now that I need to think about my plan beforehand to make sure that I am being thorough. Usually I just wing it - I'm a pretty impulsive person. But maybe it would be better if I thought about my goal and considered who to work with before I start.

Thank you everyone Cheesy I'm so glad I found this forum! It's so helpful!

Blessings )O(
 Aurelia

Blessings )O(
Aurelia
hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 28, 2008, 12:02:35 am »

I think that's a pretty common attitude, especially among people who were raised within a monotheist religion like Christianity. For me at least, one of the major attractions of Paganism was the acknowledgment of the feminine side of Divinity, and at first I ignored male gods entirely. I think it was a bit a feminist rebellion on my part. Since then I've come to accept the masculine aspect of Divinity as necessary for balance, but I think I still favor goddesses a bit. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If you feel more connected with the Goddess, it makes sense you would focus on Her more. Maybe over time you'll cultivate a stronger connection with God, but it's probably not something you should force yourself into. Also, one could argue that both the God and the Goddess are aspects of the same universal Spirit, so focusing on one more than the other doesn't mean the other is being left out at all.

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
kaarne
Apprentice
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 04:07:01 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 28, 2008, 07:53:07 am »

Since then I've come to accept the masculine aspect of Divinity as necessary for balance, but I think I still favor goddesses a bit.

I believe goddesses in mythologies represent the whole spectrum of things, and so do gods. So the starter of the thread doesn't miss anything by worshiping only either of the groups. I have never understood the "gods and goddesses balance each other" thing. How does Khonsu (Moon god) balance Luna (Moon goddess)?
hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 28, 2008, 09:26:22 am »

I believe goddesses in mythologies represent the whole spectrum of things, and so do gods. So the starter of the thread doesn't miss anything by worshiping only either of the groups. I have never understood the "gods and goddesses balance each other" thing. How does Khonsu (Moon god) balance Luna (Moon goddess)?

Well, in this context, the fact that both of these are deities of the moon is irrelevant. If you're going to assign gender to a deity, to me it makes the most sense to acknowledge both genders, even if you favor one over the other for personal reasons. The two deities you've mentioned come from completely different pantheons but for comparison strictly in terms of being masculine or feminine, it's kind of difficult to have one without the other. You can focus on one, no doubt, but if you factor gender into divinity it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to think that they exist entirely independent from one another. They're complementary.

Of course, I could see where a god could "represent the whole spectrum of things" if one is using the word 'god' without gender, as in one overall deity that encompasses both masculine and feminine. But once you add gender to the mix, I think it only makes sense to acknowledge both sides even if you focus mainly on one. Part of the reason I think it's important is that because so many of the people that are being drawn to Pagan religions these days and are coming from monotheistic backgrounds and are people who were so put off by the lack of a feminine aspect in divinity that once they switch to a new belief system they focus entirely on goddesses and ignore gods because they're trying to distance themselves from their prior religion. But in the end, that creates the same imbalance that they were initially rejecting. And to me that seems like a loss.

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 28, 2008, 07:20:52 pm »

I agree. Of course, I'm coming from a standpoint where gender-by-itself means next to nothing, so that could be the reason for my opinion on this. I think there are an infinite number of polarities (if you're looking to work with polarities) that have nothing to do with gender. Besides, goddesses run the gamut from "feminine" to "masculine" all by themselves, as do gods.
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 29, 2008, 10:03:17 am »

Well, it depends on what it is you are practicing. Wicca for instance has a focus upon polarity so leaving the God out might mean that you are missing the point. If you wanted though, you could look into some of the Dianic traditions of Wicca.

I am so glad I read through posts.  Otherwise I would have simply been repeating exactly what you said.  Almost word for word.  Lol. 

Another thing though, if you aren't interested in Wicca, there are other goddess centered religions out there.  Or you could just develop your own faith as quite a few in here (including myself) have done.

Who you do and don't worship doesn't exactly matter in paganism overall.  If you are in a specifc pagan religion (Wicca, Asatru, etc.) then it may or may not matter depending on the requirements of the religion.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
CrimsonSheep
Apprentice
Last Login:November 17, 2008, 10:55:06 pm

Religion: Irreligious agnostic theist

It's only as dark as you make it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 07, 2008, 11:03:56 pm »

Of course, I could see where a god could "represent the whole spectrum of things" if one is using the word 'god' without gender, as in one overall deity that encompasses both masculine and feminine. But once you add gender to the mix, I think it only makes sense to acknowledge both sides even if you focus mainly on one.
Hmm, I don't really agree. What if you're talking about a god or goddess that appears in many different forms, and in some forms changes gender? The example that comes to my mind is the god Loki, as he's depicted strongly as a male god and in some of the mythos has a wife, yet it was as a mare that he seduced the frost giant's steed and gave birth to Slephnir.

Perhaps I'm thinking of it differently than you, however. I do understand where you're coming from (I think, heh), I just thought I'd add my own opinions to the mix.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil for Thou art with me
Locked and loaded
Gonna find my truth
Now I'm busting through
All hell breaks loose

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)