The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 04, 2022, 12:04:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2022, 12:04:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Teen, Catholic School  (Read 4023 times)
GoldenOak
Apprentice
Last Login:March 16, 2009, 04:40:32 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 20, 2008, 12:18:21 pm »

I'm a pagan who attends a Catholic school, through no choice of my own. Don't get me wrong, it's a good school and I wouldn't move for the world, but I feel as if they're trying to shove their faith down my throat all the time. I feel bad about being a pagan and still taking an education from the Church but there's nothing I can do about it.

So, how many of you are currently attending a religious school? Surely I can't be the only Pagan in religious education?!

BB )O(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:28:14 pm by Star, Reason: Correcting typo in subject; no change to content » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 20, 2008, 01:45:12 pm »

I went to a Church of England Primary school, and then a CoE secondary school.  I was nominally Christian at the time, though mainly secular.  I later went through atheism, a few varieties of Paganism in my early twenties, and now I'm happily back to atheism.  So while I haven't experienced the particular joys of being in education that went against my religious beliefs.

I survived.  Even though religious assemblies couldn't be avoided, they were little more than boring wastes of time to me.  They didn't change the way I thought - did precious little either way.  Everyone I am still in contact with who went to my secondary school is an atheist in fact.

I would personally advocate relaxing.  They can't force your beliefs to change, only provide information about their beliefs, why they think people should share them, etc.  It's all information, and may be useful to you some day.  But more generally, I would advise worrying less about the religion the school promotes, and focus on the rest of the education on offer.  After all, that is the information that will be necesary for you later in life.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 20, 2008, 02:17:12 pm »

I feel bad about being a pagan and still taking an education from the Church

You shouldn't. One of the Catholic Church's "missions" is education, regardless of whether the people being educated are Catholic or not. You're not "taking" it from them -- they're giving it to you.

Here in the U.S. it is not unusual for Catholic schools in cities to have majority non-Catholic student bodies.

Try to view it as sharing their faith rather than shoving it down your throat and it might bother you less. Smiley
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 20, 2008, 02:23:20 pm »

I'm a pagan who attends a Catholic school, through no choice of my own. Don't get me wrong, it's a good school and I wouldn't move for the world, but I feel as if they're trying to shove their faith down my throat all the time. I feel bad about being a pagan and still taking an education from the Church but there's nothing I can do about it.

So, how many of you are currently attending a religious school? Surely I can't be the only Pagan in religious education?!

BB )O(

Although not pagan, my mother went through a similar experience when she was in high school. She was Methodist and her parents decided to send her to a Lutheran high school. She had to take a class on Lutheran theology; although she did not follow Lutheran theology, she got the highest grade in the class. She took it as an opportunity to learn, and it served as a good introduction to Real LifeTM, where one often has to do things one does not want to do Wink

Sasha
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 20, 2008, 09:33:45 pm »

BB )O(

I'm not currently receiving an education (already graduated and all that), but the agency I work at did assign me to a Catholic school this past year.  (I work with kids in behavioral health support.)  It's a bit different from your situation, but I was fascinated, to be honest.  My husband is Catholic and I never had much exposure to his denomination since I was brought up Protestant. 

I worked in a classroom throughout the day, which also meant religious lessons and mass.  I took a lot of care to be professional and respectful as a non-Christian.  I participated as much as I needed to in order to help my client, but did not engage in anything that would have put me at odds with either faiths (i.e. communion, hymns, prayers).

If it were me, I would learn as much as I could while I was there.  You have an opportunity to experience a denomination from an angle not everyone is able to get.  In time you'll leave the school and will hopefully come away with a clearer idea of Catholic theology and practice that could serve you down the road in interfaith dialogues or relationships.

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 20, 2008, 09:45:31 pm »

I had a friend who was Pagan in Catholic school. She loathed it, and was very resentful of it. I can't say I would be any different were I in the same situation, but I agree with the others to try to make the best of it. I think in general, Catholic schools provide a better education than most public schools. So in that respect you are kind of lucky to be going there.

High school is temporary... it'll be over before you know it!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 03, 2008, 11:36:23 am »

I feel bad about being a pagan and still taking an education from the Church but there's nothing I can do about it.

BB )O(

I wouldn't worry - I spent some years attending a Convent and both my children spent time in  both Catholic and Cof E and  Methodist schools ( now there's a combination for you!!). None of us are Catholic and many of the other pupils weren't either. It was really a non issue.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Sparrow_xx
Last Login:August 14, 2008, 12:18:32 am

Religion: Pagan, but a bit confused...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 13, 2008, 05:13:36 am »

I went to a Catholic school for nine years, so I totally get what you're going through. I was Agnostic and Atheist for the last four or so. I'm still going through religious education, despite both of my parents knowing my interests in Wicca. What I do, though, is just think about my own beliefs and values. I try to find similarities between the two paths, since I am one of those people who thinks there are countless ways to be with the divine. I make it fun and debate. Always make answers vague if they ask you about God/Jesus. I did that all the time.
Isis
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2009, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Pagan (Druidic Witch)

Mother Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 13, 2008, 10:24:05 am »

BB )O(

I would try to not feel offended (I know it's difficult sometimes).  Think of it as a learning experience; what can you draw from what you've learned?  I went to a private school for about a year and a half growing up.  Granted, I was still Christian then, but, I think, if there were non-Christian kids attending, they wouldn't be too offended.  One class I was in had us memorizing scriptures every week.  If anything, this was good for helping learn to memorize those things that mean the most to us.

Magick is . . . hearing the wind whisper the Earth's secrets or listening to the Moon share Her wisdom.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. " -Anais Nin, writer
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 11, 2008, 04:48:56 pm »

Here in the U.S. it is not unusual for Catholic schools in cities to have majority non-Catholic student bodie

We were Protestant and then when I was 6 years old I got baptized as a Catholic and went to Catholic school,reason why we wanted Catholic school?To avoid the riff-raff of the public school. So there we were, my mother looking into a crystal ball,playing with Tarot cards ouija board and other things of that nature.But we were fine with the Catholic religion, I still sing in the Catholic choir,while being a pagan.Doesn't make me guilty at all. I can be whatever religion I want to be.

My cats are my kids.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)