The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 08, 2020, 10:14:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 10:14:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Egyptian God, Set  (Read 5786 times)
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 10, 2008, 12:46:11 am »

It was a good kinda scary.

Funny that's my understanding of Set (note just from the myths) he was the good kind of scary and the good kind of destructive chaotic force.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: August 10, 2008, 12:41:45 pm »

Have any of you ever read "The Egypt Game"?  It was about these kids who built a sort of Egyptian Temple in an empty lot, and the things they did to call on and embody the gods and goddesses.  I will always think of Set as this creature built of dark mud, dried and cracked, with a red glint in his dark shiny eyes.  *shivers*  It was a good kinda scary.
<faraway nostalgic grin> Zilpha Keatley Snyder was one of my favorite authors when I was a preteen/early teen (and I still enjoy her work), and that was probably the book I liked most.  Thanks for reminding me of that!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 11, 2008, 03:30:46 pm »

Have any of you ever read "The Egypt Game"?  It was about these kids who built a sort of Egyptian Temple in an empty lot, and the things they did to call on and embody the gods and goddesses.  I will always think of Set as this creature built of dark mud, dried and cracked, with a red glint in his dark shiny eyes.  *shivers*  It was a good kinda scary.

I remember that book!  I really liked it when I was younger, and probably reread it several times.  I didn't remember that part about Set though.

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 22, 2008, 10:25:24 am »

I was wondering if anyone else feels a strong connection to the Egyptian God, Set.  He likes to appear in my dreams.  Set was the first God that I have been fascinated with.  I still have a fascination with him to this day. 

The first time I encountered Set, I actually felt dizzy.  I thought I was going to pass out. 

I think the fact that I'm Wesir's kid means my relationship with Set interesting, to say the least.  But I think that's also going to make it all the more important for me to honor him.

I have an interesting Set story.  I recently moved into a new apartment.  Everything seemed to have gone wrong with that move.  It took me forever to find a roommate.  I didn't actually find a place that I could afford until the last minute, like, a couple of days before I had to be out of the old place.  I thought I was going to have to put my stuff in storage and couch surf.   One of my friends who was going to help me move threw his back out the day before we were supposed to do it.  My old roommate was being a real jerk about a lot of things, and that was stressing me out.  His name was Seth. 

A friend of mine, who was Kemetic, was also helping me move.  We were joking that Set  must have been in charge of this whole moving process.  At one point I just told Set  "Fine.  Do whatever you want.  I'll stop trying to be in control of everything because it's obviously not working!"

Now, it was a terribly hot day.  There had been warnings on the radio to stay inside if possible, because it was supposed to be really bad.  About an hour after that prayer to Set, there was a beautiful thunderstorm. It  cooled things off for the rest of the day, and made the move much more bearable. 

I wouldn't say I actively worship Set right now, but I am beginning to appreciate the way he works in my life. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:27:31 am by burning_tree, Reason: Changed the spelling of seth/set to distinguish between my roommate and the god » Logged
Sab Saiti
Apprentice
Last Login:May 20, 2010, 02:50:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Gravatar

Resident Kemetic Lurker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 21, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

Set is a handful, that much is sure. I love Him, despite the fact that He often laughs at my mishaps. Sarcasm is a favorite of His, and He enjoys it if you're daring enough to engage in some friendly banter with Him.

Of course, I also learned to never keep your car keys anywhere near His shrine....  Undecided  We were planning on going to see about trading in our car to get a new one, but were also reluctantly acknowledging that it was likely we wouldn't get more than a few hundred dollars for our trade. The very morning we decided we were going to go ahead and try to trade the car in, a neighbor four houses down from where we were living at the time backed out of their drive way into our car. Totaled our car (without even so much as scratching theirs; then again, we were in a 1994 Buick Century, and they were driving a brand new Ford F150 truck, so...--I can link to pictures of our damage later if anyone wants), and both my husband and me could feel the very smugness coming off Him as He said, "You're welcome."

We got more than what we would have trading the car in, and were able to replace the old junker with a 2001 Dodge Intrepid.  Cheesy  But since, I learned not to have the keys anywhere near Him. Though He also kept the tree from damaging our new house whenever one of the branches gave way and fell onto our roof after one of the hurricanes that have been beating at the South lately. (Pictures: http://s539.photobucket.com/albums/ff358/jackalclan/Branch%20on%20House%20Aug%2029%202008/)

Discovered that had happened just after waking up when I opened the kitchen door into the back yard and was greeted by a tree... That wasn't a fun day. Set, though, had a time offering suggestions of how to get rid of it (none of which were practical, but were funny, which helped me maintain my sanity during the stress of it all). One of them was by pushing the tree over in the other direction to take the branch with it.  Roll Eyes

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)