The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2022, 11:10:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2022, 11:10:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: D & D 4th Edition  (Read 21918 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: March 03, 2010, 08:25:10 pm »

OK, that's seriously awesome.  Thanks!

It's one of a number of "retro-clones" of older versions of D&D available.

Original D&D (1974-1976 stuff aka 0e)
Swords & Wizardry: Two different versions (Core and Whitebox, Whitebox is the original three booklets only)  Lots of supplements available, most free.

Microlite74: A version of Microlite20 emulating 0e via a very rules lite version of 3.x. Designed by me so I'm biased. One supplement available.

Basic/Expert D&D (the first version 1982 or so aka B/X)
Basic Fantasy RPG: A variant version of B/X where the races and classes are separate. Lots of supplements available, most free.

Labyrinth Lord: Very close to the original B/X with races as classes.  There is a supplement for using LL to recreate something like 0e, Original Edition Characters -- unfortunately, no free version ofd the supplement. There is another supplement for using LL to recreate something like AD&D 1e, Advanced Edition Companion -- a free version is available.

AD&D 1e
OSRIC: I already mentioned this one.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 03:32:54 am

Religion: Agnostic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 03, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »

4e is boring as hell if you aren't interested in LONG combats -- especially if you aren't interested in long combats where the "tactics" being stressed are rules-based instead of realism-based. 3.x was bad enough combat-wise, but 4e takes it to new levels of long and gamey.  That said, if combats with minis and battlemats is the main thing you play D&D for, 4e is a great game.

It has a completely different feel in play than any previous versions of D&D and it stresses a style of play that I do not enjoy while making it almost impossible to play in the styles I do enjoy. For me, it's the worst version of D&D ever -- and I've been playing since 1975.

I agree that it is different, but long combats? 

They implemented minions, and now you can actually pit the characters against a viable zombie apocalypse / goblin horde / BBEG + 30 toadies.

Your dailies and action points help speed up the combat as well.

But, again, I agree.  It does feel different.

Still fun though.  Cheesy

Cease then and let me alone,
that I may take comfort a little before I go whence I shall not return,
even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
a land of darkness, as darkness itself,
and of the shadow of death without any order,
and where the light is as darkness.

- Job
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: March 03, 2010, 08:48:34 pm »

I agree that it is different, but long combats?

Combats in TSR versions of D&D (before 2.5e's skills and powers supplements) was very abstract and very fast. Combats in my games averaged 5 to 10 minutes. 20-30 for truly complex epic combats with lots of monsters and characters involved. Combat in 3.x and 4e seems to take 40 minutes at a minimum, and most seem to take much longer.

They implemented minions, and now you can actually pit the characters against a viable zombie apocalypse / goblin horde / BBEG + 30 toadies.

Minions aren't a new idea (just new to the official rules), but even without minions such a combat would probably only take 15-20 minutes in my games. With fast combats, you can either get a lot more combats in a 4 or 5 hour game session or have a few combats and lots of time for the more interesting (to me and my players, at least) non-combat stuff.

Still fun though.  Cheesy

Some folks find it a lot of fun, others don't find it much fun. I still stand by my list of things I do not like about 4e from 2008 in reply #4 in this thread.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #33: March 03, 2010, 11:26:06 pm »

4e is boring as hell if you aren't interested in LONG combats -- especially if you aren't interested in long combats where the "tactics" being stressed are rules-based instead of realism-based. 3.x was bad enough combat-wise, but 4e takes it to new levels of long and gamey.  That said, if combats with minis and battlemats is the main thing you play D&D for, 4e is a great game.

It has a completely different feel in play than any previous versions of D&D and it stresses a style of play that I do not enjoy while making it almost impossible to play in the styles I do enjoy. For me, it's the worst version of D&D ever -- and I've been playing since 1975.

That's a lot of why we never bothered to try and convert.  We preferred focus on non-fighting skills, story telling and roleplaying.  We have had several very productive gaming sessions where we seldom picked up the dice.  4e feels more like warhammer or something. 
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 27, 2022, 03:01:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: March 05, 2010, 03:09:58 am »

We preferred focus on non-fighting skills, story telling and roleplaying.  We have had several very productive gaming sessions where we seldom picked up the dice.
My kind of game, my kind of gamers.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: March 05, 2010, 03:18:53 am »

It's one of a number of "retro-clones" of older versions of D&D available.
<snipped lots o' linkies>
Oooh - while I'm a 3.0/3.5 gal, my "history geek" side intersects enough with my "gamer geek" side that this made me bounce gleefully.  Almost like running across a complete collection of rulebooks from 0e onwards at a garage sale for half nothing!  (While I'd be tickled to own the core bookset for each and every edition, either finding all of them at one garage sale or getting them for half nothing is unlikely; both at once is fantastically improbable.)

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: March 05, 2010, 03:27:45 am »

Also, I'm happy to learn such a quick and simple way (0e) to refer to the very first version.  I imagine I'll still find myself explaining it a lot (shocking how many people think, "There was Basic, and then it was expanded to AD&D," represents the start point), but now I have a short noun (okay, nouned adjective) for the direct referent.

Sunflower

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: March 05, 2010, 08:15:36 am »

Also, I'm happy to learn such a quick and simple way (0e) to refer to the very first version.  I imagine I'll still find myself explaining it a lot (shocking how many people think, "There was Basic, and then it was expanded to AD&D," represents the start point), but now I have a short noun (okay, nouned adjective) for the direct referent.

Original D&D split into two branches because of Dave Arneson's lawsuit settlement with TSR over AD&D (which cut him out of the royalities). AD&D went off in one direction and D&D went in another. For D&D, first their were the two box set Basic/Expert edition (also called Moldvay/Cook after the authors/editors). This was followed by the five box set BECMI edition in the mid-1980 (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortals by Frank Mentzer). In the early 1990s, Aaron Allston cleaned this up a bit to produce what is probably the best one book version of D&D ever: the Rules Cyclopedia. If you get one older edition, this is probably the book to get. Meanwhile, AD&D went on to 2nd Edition in 1987 or so and got very weird in the 1990s.

Randall
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 03:32:54 am

Religion: Agnostic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 05, 2010, 08:44:36 pm »

Original D&D split into two branches because of Dave Arneson's lawsuit settlement with TSR over AD&D (which cut him out of the royalities). AD&D went off in one direction and D&D went in another. For D&D, first their were the two box set Basic/Expert edition (also called Moldvay/Cook after the authors/editors). This was followed by the five box set BECMI edition in the mid-1980 (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortals by Frank Mentzer). In the early 1990s, Aaron Allston cleaned this up a bit to produce what is probably the best one book version of D&D ever: the Rules Cyclopedia. If you get one older edition, this is probably the book to get. Meanwhile, AD&D went on to 2nd Edition in 1987 or so and got very weird in the 1990s.

What do you mean 'got weird in the 90s'?

THAC0... *shivers*

Cease then and let me alone,
that I may take comfort a little before I go whence I shall not return,
even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
a land of darkness, as darkness itself,
and of the shadow of death without any order,
and where the light is as darkness.

- Job
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: March 05, 2010, 09:50:53 pm »

What do you mean 'got weird in the 90s'?

The start of the splat books from hell syndrome. The Player's Option stuff. Etc.  The stuff that eventually led to the over-complexity of 3.x and to the combat-centeric 4e -- neither of which do anything for me.

THAC0... *shivers*

I never saw anything wrong with it. It doesn't seem any better or any worse than having a to-hit table or the D20 method or any of a number of similar methods. It's like all the arguments about ascending or descending armor class -- differences which makes no real difference -- except in the eye of the beholder.

Randall
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: March 06, 2010, 12:54:05 am »

<absorbs gamer history>

Some of this I knew, some I was only sort of aware of, some I didn't know.  As with many of the thinks I history-geek about, I'm a very far cry from really being an expert; I just know more than yer average dice-roller.  Thank you!

Sunflower

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #41: March 06, 2010, 03:41:12 am »

I shall be geeking with you here as my hubby and I actually have all versions of D&D and AD&D. It's all the add on books that get silly, for example the Wizards and Priests magical items encyclopedias (5 for Wizards and 4 for Priests-all items from books, source books and magazines, no matter how bizarre). If you want silly game systems, try either Macho Women With Guns or Renegade Nuns On Wheels (which is part 2). These have skills like running in high heels, which is an art in itself. You really need to look up the plot ideas for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macho_Women_with_Guns

We have about 3 packing boxes is our attic full to bursting with various RPG systems-I really need to go through them again......

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #42: March 06, 2010, 08:09:08 am »

I shall be geeking with you here as my hubby and I actually have all versions of D&D and AD&D. It's all the add on books that get silly, for example the Wizards and Priests magical items encyclopedias (5 for Wizards and 4 for Priests-all items from books, source books and magazines, no matter how bizarre).

Yes, the number of add-on/splat books started to get silly with 2e. Although 3.x was much worse and 4e looks to be the worst yet. Someone did a pages/year produced chart that shows just how little one had to absorb rules-wise to play pre 2e versions versus 2e and later. The difference in output is amazing. Since I prefer rules lite to rules heavy, I pretty much lost interest in the later versions of D&D. Which is fine as the early versions still work just as well as they ever did -- and I don't have to spend a dime to continue playing what I already own. This may not be good of the role-playing industry, but the industry is trying to make money any way it can and that isn't al;ways good for the role-playing hobby.

If you want silly game systems, try either Macho Women With Guns or Renegade Nuns On Wheels (which is part 2). These have skills like running in high heels, which is an art in itself.

I bought all three parts as they came out. Never bothered with any of the newer editions/versions, however.

Randall
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: October 01, 2010, 02:59:29 am »

All the classes seem to work way to similar.  That's boring in many ways.

This is my single biggest objection to 4e.  Overly homogenous.  All of the classes get the same kind of abilities at exactly the same time.  Attack, Attack, "Utility," Attack, Attack . . .

I was particularly annoyed to see the way they handled the cleric.  I just can't buy the whole "Attack that hurts your enemies while healing your friends" thing.   The whole thing just reeks of desperate shoehorning.  They had to make all of the classes follow the same advancement progression, and since everyone else gets an attack at level x, so must clerics.  "But how do we get clerics to also be healers?"  "I know!  Let's give them healing attacks!"  Roll Eyes

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.