The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 18, 2019, 05:18:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 05:18:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The first spell I ever cast was...  (Read 3437 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: July 22, 2008, 02:00:31 pm »

Do you remember the first spell you ever cast?  If so, what was it?  What are details about it that folks might find interesting or amusing?

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: July 22, 2008, 05:10:28 pm »

Do you remember the first spell you ever cast?  If so, what was it?  What are details about it that folks might find interesting or amusing?

Sperran

I was four or five years old and didn't really think of it as a spell.  It was something people did in bed time stories, though, so I had every reason to expect it to work.

We lived out in the country and there was a feral cat that lived back by the cistern.  It had probably been dropped off as a kitten and it wouldn't let people get near it, but at this point it was pregnant and looked like it was starving.  All the adults had tried to catch it and it was very skittish.

I went back to where it hung out, sat myself beside the cistern and tried to be invisible.  I consciously tried to make the space I was in appealing to the cat, the way the hunters in the stories drew deer in close.  It was the first time I had ever concentrated fiercely/peacefully the way it had been described to me and it took about an hour, but eventually the cat showed up.  It appeared not to see me at all and wandered around the clearing.

I waited until it was right beside me and then fell over sideways on top of it. (I hadn't thought out the actual 'getting ahold of it' part, but knew if I moved my hands or head it would see me and run).

This cat had done damage to adults who had tried to catch it, but it relaxed and let me carry it all the way home across two fields, the way I had imagined it doing.  It had to be confined to the mud room and fed extravagantly for a few days before anybody (including me) could get close again, but it eventually became a mostly-pet, and two of its kittens became complete pets.

Reading that over, I wonder if it really 'counts' as a spell, but it was magic the way I saw it then.  I still do see it as one kind of magic.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 22, 2008, 05:30:22 pm »

Do you remember the first spell you ever cast? 

Sadly, I don't -- which probably means it didn't work. LOL.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 22, 2008, 05:31:37 pm »

Sperran

It was a banishing spell that I adapted from one in a fiction book I was reading (rather funny looking back on it, but I was only about 12). I wanted to banish my bad habit of holding my nose every time I went under water. I don't really remember the process, but it involved a black candle, a white candle, some incence and stuff to give it a nice magicky vibe Smiley, and some probably incredibly cheesy poetic script I had come up with. I remember being petrified going into the local occult store to get the stuff for it...

Funnily enough, my school ended up going on a field trip to the pool later that week and the 'magick' worked. I think it was more of a me-finally-getting-fed-up-with-swimming-one-handed-thing myself, but if the spell helped out then hey! I always had a bit of a phobia of water so it was actually a pretty big step for me to take.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 22, 2008, 05:39:38 pm »

Sperran

It was when I first 'discovered' Paganism.  I found a good fortune spell.  All I remember is it envolved a candle for every color in the rainbow (basically) and I did it on New Year's eve. It was for a good year.  It actually worked.  It was one of the best I've had in a LOOONG time.  Wish I could find my notes for that spell.   Grin
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 23, 2008, 01:49:39 am »

Sperran

It was a healing spell I did with a Glade candle.

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 23, 2008, 02:29:41 am »

Sperran

I seldom remember what I have done from one spell working to the next.  At least not the specific details.  As I usually don't do much toward ritual, or using tools, it really isn't necessary for me to do so.  As to the first spell, I guess it would be a protection spell, this is one of the few that I have always used in the same way, with minor variations from time to time. 

I just feel myself (aura would probably be the right word for it, but you can't lend pieces of that out (can you?), so I don't really know if it is) spread out and harden over whatever it is that I want protected.  It's a bit more complicated than that, but it's the only way I can put it into words. 

At the time though it was a visualization of an electric blue wall (the idea actually came from a spell from DnD... Wall of Force, I believe  Embarrassed) spreading to the boundaries of the person (basically their skin) or thing/place I wanted to protect.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 23, 2008, 02:50:23 pm »

Sperran
Mine was a banishing spell when I was 13 or 14. Thankfully it did NOT work since I tried to banish my stepfather! That would have been a febt I would still be repaying.  Cheesy

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 23, 2008, 03:34:20 pm »

I was four or five years old and didn't really think of it as a spell.  It was something people did in bed time stories, though, so I had every reason to expect it to work.
This cat had done damage to adults who had tried to catch it, but it relaxed and let me carry it all the way home across two fields, the way I had imagined it doing.  It had to be confined to the mud room and fed extravagantly for a few days before anybody (including me) could get close again, but it eventually became a mostly-pet, and two of its kittens became complete pets.
Reading that over, I wonder if it really 'counts' as a spell, but it was magic the way I saw it then.  I still do see it as one kind of magic.

Absent

That was really nice, I enjoyed reading that.  Smiley
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 23, 2008, 03:49:52 pm »

I think the first really true spell  I did was a banishing one. I had always been aware of magic, but as far as an actuall spell, I think it was the time I sent my sister away. I was about 11 and she and I weren't getting along and I really needed a break from her. (We shared a room) I wanted her to go away for awhile. Out of the blue she got invited to go away to a summer to camp. I honestly don't remember the exact spell though.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 23, 2008, 07:08:33 pm »

Funnily enough, my school ended up going on a field trip to the pool later that week and the 'magick' worked. I think it was more of a me-finally-getting-fed-up-with-swimming-one-handed-thing myself, but if the spell helped out then hey! I always had a bit of a phobia of water so it was actually a pretty big step for me to take.
Kasmira, that is adorable. Cheesy

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 23, 2008, 07:14:01 pm »

I was studying general Paganism stuff (mostly of the Wicca variety because I couldn't find anything else) for a while before I actually did anything, including spells. For my first spell, I charged an antique ring from my great grandmother. It was the only thing I had that had a real stone in it. It was amethyst, with this swirly bit around it with smaller crystals in it. It's a pretty awesome ring, actually.

I wanted to charge it to give myself confidence and attract friends for the new school year. I had switched schools the previous year, so it was my second year going there and I was dreading it so badly. I was so depressed. It didn't quite work the way I had wanted it to, which isn't surprising considering the nature of amethyst. It served as more of a protection/calming talisman more than anything that attracted friendship.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 24, 2008, 12:21:04 pm »

Do you remember the first spell you ever cast?

I must have been about eleven, and had found a book at the library about witchcraft (by which we mean Neo-Wicca, really, but who's keeping track at eleven). There was a spell in it to call a familiar into a box, with the caveat that it was a spirit familiar and wouldn't be visible. I had myself totally convinced that I'd called a snake-spirit-thing into a long thin box, and thereafter kept the box on the opposite side of the room from where my rats lived.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 24, 2008, 05:18:10 pm »

Sperran

Lots of lovely stories here, I am glad I finally got around to reading this thread Smiley It's kinda weird about magick, though, b/c I was doing magickal work a long time before I was doing anything I called a spell, or even that I called magick. I was talking to the Fae (or something) and my guides starting from about age 4. I was a good manifester, along the lines of what Nile Lily shared, and had a knack for calling people and things to me, along the lines of what Absent shared, although I was never as focused with it as a child as she describes. I faintly remember doing a spell to call spirits with my sister when I was about 13, and it scared the bejeezuz out of us both-somebody came and messed with us a bit, fortunately no one too mean, but scary enough. I didn't do any spellwork after that for a long long time.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 24, 2008, 05:24:56 pm »

Sperran

I really don't remember what it was, but I do remember that about 8 or so years ago me and a friend (who is now Wiccan herself) did some experimental magic when we first became interested in Paganism, but we really weren't that sure what we were doing.  We had all the elements we needed but I don't remember what the spell was for... it could possibly have been a protection spell.  I'm going to have to call and ask her now.  We did some interesting things, and pretty much scared the crap out of ourselves in the process.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)