The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 11:39:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 11:39:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Hidden Messages in Water" ... proof of magick?  (Read 6200 times)
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 22, 2008, 08:51:01 pm »

I am interested to know some of your thoughts on the book "Hidden Messages in Water", and it's following series of books by Masaru Emoto.

What caught my eye immediately were the monks that prayed over the polluted water and it became clean.  Do you think this is a huge hoax or does he really have something here? 

My first impression was that this may be a piece scientific proof that magick exists in a tangible form that you can measure.  If we can change the tiniest molecule of water through thought, and all human bodies and the entire earth is at least 70% water, then we can change ourselves and our planet through magick and/or prayer.  I already believe this to be true, but what about the point of view of a nonbeliever in magick (or prayer for that matter), what do you think?  And has this book affected your beliefs in any way?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 22, 2008, 10:54:23 pm »

I am interested to know some of your thoughts on the book "Hidden Messages in Water", and it's following series of books by Masaru Emoto.

I've never heard of the book or its author. Sorry.

What caught my eye immediately were the monks that prayed over the polluted water and it became clean.  Do you think this is a huge hoax or does he really have something here? 

It could be either. Telling hoax from true miracle is often hard.  But the more extreme the claim, the better the evidence supporting it needs to be -- at least for me.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 23, 2008, 02:41:23 am »

My first impression was that this may be a piece scientific proof that magick exists in a tangible form that you can measure.  If we can change the tiniest molecule of water through thought, and all human bodies and the entire earth is at least 70% water, then we can change ourselves and our planet through magick and/or prayer.  I already believe this to be true, but what about the point of view of a nonbeliever in magick (or prayer for that matter), what do you think?  And has this book affected your beliefs in any way?

I've heard of it referenced in some places.  As for the validity of the claims, who knows?  Although, if you really want to know if it works, you could try it yourself at home.  I wouldn't suggest polluted water, but water with salt in it would probably do fine as a test subject.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 23, 2008, 01:41:50 pm »

Well, did it even happen?  Is it well documented, etc?  I mean, if they prayed a lake, or whatever, clear, why aren't those lazy bastards working on the rest of our planet? Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 23, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

A quick Google on the title shows that this is a title/series that is associated with the "What the Bleep Do We Know" people. Along with hanging out here I am a long time lurker on Snopes' message board. They have pretty thoroughly discredited the science and methidology behind the movie. So I would personally take the info in the books with a grain of salt.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Anaya
Last Login:June 23, 2009, 03:19:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan, interested in druidry... and everything else

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 23, 2008, 10:02:56 pm »

I once wrote a experiential essay on the effect of prayer for a uni class and included Emoto's research on water. However, my lecturer didn't seem to think the work was credible - he commented that water when frozen always forms unique and often beautiful crystals, just like snowflakes.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 23, 2008, 10:39:14 pm »

Welcome to The Cauldron, Anaya!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 24, 2008, 02:20:36 am »

A quick Google on the title shows that this is a title/series that is associated with the "What the Bleep Do We Know" people. Along with hanging out here I am a long time lurker on Snopes' message board. They have pretty thoroughly discredited the science and methidology behind the movie. So I would personally take the info in the books with a grain of salt.

Yeah, that's where I heard of it.  The problem is, that while some of the things they give would be of benefit to an individual on a spiritual level, the science is just too shoddy.  They are taking premises from a science that barely has it's feet wet, and trying to twist them too far to make their own ideas seem more credible.

I have read up a little on quantum theory and mechanics, and what I have read doesn't seem to support any of what was stated as fact in the book (I read the book "What the Bleep", didn't watch the movie).  What little the quantum physicists have found just isn't enough to draw any real conclusions from in any directions, especially not the ones they are trying to pass off.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Anaya
Last Login:June 23, 2009, 03:19:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan, interested in druidry... and everything else

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 24, 2008, 07:31:10 am »

Yeah, that's where I heard of it.  The problem is, that while some of the things they give would be of benefit to an individual on a spiritual level, the science is just too shoddy.  They are taking premises from a science that barely has it's feet wet, and trying to twist them too far to make their own ideas seem more credible.

I have read up a little on quantum theory and mechanics, and what I have read doesn't seem to support any of what was stated as fact in the book (I read the book "What the Bleep", didn't watch the movie).  What little the quantum physicists have found just isn't enough to draw any real conclusions from in any directions, especially not the ones they are trying to pass off.

I watched the movie and it seemed as though many of the experts they used were of a spiritual or religious background rather than scientific. The ideas are certainly interesting - just how much of an impact does intent have on our physical bodies and environment? - but I'm not sure that we can quantify that scientifically. In a satisfactory manner in any case  Tongue

Welcome to The Cauldron, Anaya!

Thanks, thought it was about time I stopped lurking  Cheesy
Phoibos
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 22, 2009, 10:15:12 am

Religion: Hellenic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 25, 2008, 11:10:58 am »

I watched the movie and it seemed as though many of the experts they used were of a spiritual or religious background rather than scientific. The ideas are certainly interesting - just how much of an impact does intent have on our physical bodies and environment? - but I'm not sure that we can quantify that scientifically. In a satisfactory manner in any case  Tongue

Thanks, thought it was about time I stopped lurking  Cheesy

At least one of the scientists they quoted in the movie has come out to say they misquoted and misrepresented him.  Another of their experts is actually a "channeled being".  I have to say I was not impressed.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 25, 2008, 11:39:36 am »

At least one of the scientists they quoted in the movie has come out to say they misquoted and misrepresented him. 

I have heard that too. Just one of the reasons I take that whole series with a grain of salt.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 26, 2008, 01:14:48 am »

At least one of the scientists they quoted in the movie has come out to say they misquoted and misrepresented him.  Another of their experts is actually a "channeled being".  I have to say I was not impressed.

Yeah, I was completely confused for a while when I was reading the book.  They referred to the channeled being and the medium interchangeably.  It took me a while to figure out who was who, and what in the world was going on.

That was another sore point in the book with me, I don't put much stock in mediums or channeling (or in automatic writing for that matter).

My Writings So Far
Dannil
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2009, 12:40:01 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Eclectic solitary Wicca (student)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 29, 2008, 07:05:20 am »

At least one of the scientists they quoted in the movie has come out to say they misquoted and misrepresented him.

You wouldn't happen to be referring to professor Amit Goswami, by any chance? He's a friend of my uncle.

-Dannil-

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)