The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 06:51:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 06:51:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The view from my desk...  (Read 11074 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: July 23, 2008, 05:47:08 pm »

I'm sure some of you have incredibly awe inspiring views. And some of you probably don't.

So what do you see from your desk? Post a photo. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 23, 2008, 05:47:50 pm »

Currently, this is my view...

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 23, 2008, 06:55:50 pm »

I'm sure some of you have incredibly awe inspiring views. And some of you probably don't.

Don't think I could post a photo of the view from my desk at work. Directly outside it is the parking lot and miscellaneous buildings (I work in the office of an Amish shed and barn company). Beyond that is a big hill with trees and a house on top. I always wanted to go to the house and see the view of the valley from there. Smiley Looking up at in the distance is pretty as it is.

My view from the desk at home is the neighbor's 15' of side yard. *snort* As my grandma says "Are they making hay over there or what?" lol. It's not worth taking a picture of.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: July 23, 2008, 08:15:19 pm »

dude.  my desk is SCARY.

it's full of physics-defying stacks of things.  I think a picture would violate the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and bring it all crashing down. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 23, 2008, 09:04:35 pm »

That's adorable!

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 23, 2008, 09:06:35 pm »

My fiance says "with a little work in Photoshop we can turn that into a Kilroy... add a brick wall down here..."

::sigh::

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 23, 2008, 09:16:19 pm »

That's adorable!

Whenever we lose Skeeter, the first place we have to look is under anything that can be used as a cover. Smiley

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 23, 2008, 09:20:20 pm »

Whenever we lose Skeeter, the first place we have to look is under anything that can be used as a cover. Smiley

My desk faces the wall so that my lovely wife's massage table can take up the majority of the office.  I have a laptop, so I can work anywhere anyway, so no complaints here Grin

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 23, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »

Well, I don't have a desk at home and the one at work faces a wall that I have a ton of notes and memos taped to. The side wall has more with some photos of Jubilee, Suki and Bubba tacked up to remind me WHY I go to work. Phouka
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 23, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

Aww, lol. And whenever we lose Max we look underneath anything he can shelter under (like our coffee table..)

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 23, 2008, 10:39:36 pm »

Don't have a camera, but from my desk, you have a view of a few houses and the roof to a nearby hospital.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 24, 2008, 09:02:33 am »

View from my desk at home:  books, wall, freezer, mess

View at work, nursing home corridors.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: July 24, 2008, 09:05:51 am »

No cameras allowed at work, but:  Well, I see cube walls.  And if I stand up, I see...  more cube walls.  LOL

Selected cube wall decorations:  Pictures of Hubby and baby, of course.  Next to one of the baby pictures is a wrapper from a Dove Promises candy that says, "Remember your first everything."  There is a calendar (with more baby pictures) on which I'm tracking my daily step count (as in, pedometer) and exercise for the month.  A subtle little sun-shrine with a battery-powered candle.  A Hello Kitty water dispenser.  A teapot.  A locker mirror so that I can see behind me, since my cubicle is arbitrarily configured so that my back is toward the door, which I HATE.  An official company ID badge for "Saint Dogbert", with picture of same and the job title "Patron Saint of Technology".  A fortune from a fortune cookie reading, "Buy many dream boxes."  A map of the Internet in 2001, complete with little notes tacked to it that say things like, "You may be here."  "Or here."  "Or possibly here."  Little buttons that say "The universe is a figment of its own imagination" and "Blessed are the Geeks, for they shall internet the earth."  A Cubes playset (the Tim-the-IT-guy one).  A binary LED clock.  A tiny red fridge.

I think that's most of the interesting stuff.  It's a surprisingly good representation of me, actually, I think.  A little tech, a little sun-worshipper, a little cute girliness, a bit of wife-and-mother, a little weirdness, and some practicality.

My view at home I could take a picture of when I get back there, but it's not that interesting.  It's just our living room.  Lots of baby toys, a TV, a coffee table, a bookshelf, some seating, some speakers.  Not as many electronic toys as there used to be.  A few pictures on the walls--though the most interesting one is actually above me as I sit at my computer (I'm sitting on the couch it's hanging over); it's the text of A Midsummer Night's Dream all on one big poster, with a little fairy-ish artwork at the center of the whole thing.  You can see into our kitchen (over a half-wall) from there too, but again it's...  a kitchen.  Cabinets, an island, a table, stove, fridge, microwave, that kind of thing.  The most interesting thing in either room is usually the baby.  Wink  If you could see out the windows (we usually keep the blinds and curtains closed right now in the interest of keeping the afternoon sun from heating the house up too much) you'd see other houses, and a backyard mostly devoid of grass.  (The clover's coming in pretty well this year, but there's still a lot of bare clay too.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:08:31 am by Star, Reason: Converting HTML to bbCode. Oops. » Logged

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 24, 2008, 11:17:36 am »

No camera here, but what I look at facing my computer at work is a wall.   Tongue  But I've got a pretty plant on my desk so that helps.

If I turn around and look out my window (yes, my cube has a window.. it's kinda neat) is the roofs of the building opposite and what may be a sweatshop.  Erk.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: July 24, 2008, 11:23:31 am »

No camera here, but what I look at facing my computer at work is a wall.   Tongue  But I've got a pretty plant on my desk so that helps.

I had a plant on my desk before I had the baby.  Took it home during my maternity leave, and...  well, plants and our house have never mixed very well, and add a new baby into the mix...  the plant never made it back to my office.

If I turn around and look out my window (yes, my cube has a window.. it's kinda neat)

Lucky.  My office space is in the middle of a fairly large building, so there's no hope of moving to a window cube at any point, even.  (On the other hand, it's in the middle of ground floor in a fairly large poured concrete building, so I barely notice storms going past unless they take out the power, and in the event of a tornado I'm already in very nearly the safest place for miles around.  But I miss the sunshine when it's not stormy!)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)