The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 12:20:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 12:20:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Report warns of AIDS ‘crisis’ across South  (Read 4290 times)
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 24, 2008, 09:44:47 pm »

That's true - but there's also a LOT of bullshit floating about on how to "prevent pregnancy".  My personal favorite - jumping up and down after sex shakes out the sperm.

Shocked  That would be something I would lump in with "stupid risks."  I could be very crass about the nature of sperm and what anyone with half a brain could find out about said nature by doing a few non-insertion related pleasure acts before doing the horizontal tango, but I'll leave that to the dirtiness or cleanliness of each individual Cauldronite's imagination.

"Shakes out the sperm" indeed.  If I didn't know for sure that there are poor girls out there who believe this shit, I'd be laughing.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #16: July 24, 2008, 10:10:02 pm »

It's my understanding that it is, actually, when used correctly.  Figures from the FDA that give a 0.1% failure rate (again, for perfect use; 5% for typical use):
http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/conceptbl.html

Those are from 1997, so they're a few years old, so I suppose it's possible contradicting info has come up in the meantime and I just haven't heard about it.  99.9% was always the number I heard, though--not from the commercials, but from sources like the sex ed classes that are being praised in this thread.  Even if it isn't correct, I don't think believing the 99.9% number is due to "a twisted view of it from commercials".

That's pretty close to the numbers I've always seen for perfect use.  The typical failure rate comes because people don't take the pill correctly (every day, at the same time every day), or they unknowingly take other medication that interacts with the bc pills.

Sperran
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 25, 2008, 02:57:32 am »

That's pretty close to the numbers I've always seen for perfect use.  The typical failure rate comes because people don't take the pill correctly (every day, at the same time every day), or they unknowingly take other medication that interacts with the bc pills.

Sperran

Then there are those few for whom it actually acts as a fertility drug.  I've heard, can't remember where so I'm not sure how reliable this is, that the same drug is used to increase fertility in some women.  The difference is the dosing, I believe, and possibly the the "recipe".

I know that for me, I actually became more fertile.  (Since being off the pill I haven't had another child, however while on the pill, I became pregnant three times, once for each child).  I think it really depends more on how the woman's own hormones/body interact with the drugs given, which, honestly is true with almost any drug used for any person, for any purpose.

Third time was the charm for me, the doc asked me if I wanted it after my "baby" (she's almost three now), and I told him no, and explained my reasoning.  Since then, no baby belly for me, and we have used no other methods of prevention.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #18: July 25, 2008, 07:41:45 am »

Then there are those few for whom it actually acts as a fertility drug.  I've heard, can't remember where so I'm not sure how reliable this is, that the same drug is used to increase fertility in some women.  The difference is the dosing, I believe, and possibly the the "recipe".

Well, yes, you'll always have variation from individual to individual, and that's definitely something to be aware of when making choices about birth control.  My intent was to address the failure rate of the Pill on a broader basis, though.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #19: July 25, 2008, 08:35:34 am »

Since the "drug" is actually a synthetic hormone combination I can believe that correcting an estrogen deficiency would help correct fertility problems...but that isn't the same thing as birth control pills.  BC pills are typically a combination of estrogen/progesterone or progesterone only.

Sperran
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 25, 2008, 03:09:38 pm »

Used, perfectly, with the shitty sex ed we have now your lucky to get that 5%.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: July 25, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Well, yes, but that doesn't make the 99.9% number a twisted inaccuracy obtained from watching too many commercials, was my point.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #22: July 25, 2008, 03:47:16 pm »

With the highschool sex ed we have, it is more likely that women don't take birth control pills at all, so I don't think that will affect the failure rate.  Also, most women don't start taking the pill until they are college aged, and are more likely to read the accompanying information than teenaged girls.  Plus, places like Planned Parenthood seem to do a pretty good job of education.

Sperran
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 25, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »

It's my understanding that it is, actually, when used correctly.  Figures from the FDA that give a 0.1% failure rate (again, for perfect use; 5% for typical use):
http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/conceptbl.html

Yeah, these are the numbers I've heard as well. 

The pill is very effective against pregnancy when used right, but there are a lot kids out there that think it will also protect you just as well from AIDS or other STDs.  That's the kind of thing that happens when your best source of information is your equally ignorant peer group.

It's all kinds of messed up, and one decent sex ed class could fix it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)