The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 24, 2021, 11:12:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2021, 11:12:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: For anyone who hasn't looked in the archives...  (Read 9275 times)
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 29, 2008, 08:47:14 am »

Brina will probably cover this better, but basically:  Tony Steele was the "mastermind" behind the Daughters of Frya, a fictional religious order (I think it was for young women only, they had to wear white tennis dresses all the time, and they allegedly did several hundreds of deep knee bends several times a day as a devotional practice) which he tried to pass off as real using a sock-puppet account that we only connected to him after the fact (IIRC).  Attempting to defraud the entire forum has, needless to say, made him a bit unpopular here.

And also he seems to have been under the impression that Tolkien was writing history, not fiction, which is how he got drawn into this conversation.

Heh, I know now.  I just recently read something about that "religion".  I think someone put up a post not too long ago about how he's at it again.  That may be why the name caught my interest.  I thought I had seen it before.

*Giggles at the insanity*

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 29, 2008, 09:58:26 am »

Okay, I'm going to ask... even though I'll probably get a brain itch for my effort... Who are yall talking about?

He also nearly totally derailed a thread about whether or not Catholics worship Mary by coming into a Theological debate and trying to use basic dictionary definitions (from freedictionary.com, no less) to prove that Catholics really do worship Mary.  I came in near the end of that one after he had been thoroughly pummeled by quite a few other Cauldronites and delivered my own literary pummeling by using the OED to counter his argument Grin

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: July 29, 2008, 01:00:27 pm »

I believe at one point he claimed that we had driven the sockpuppet to tears.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 29, 2008, 01:34:26 pm »

Ya I don't get a gold star either, but oh well. I did go back and happily read the "satanist" thread. Man I loved that thread, in fact now I always tell people I worship Satin not Satan.

Also, makes me pine for a good troll to come along, one bad thing about this board no trolls.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: July 29, 2008, 01:49:52 pm »

Ya I don't get a gold star either, but oh well. I did go back and happily read the "satanist" thread. Man I loved that thread, in fact now I always tell people I worship Satin not Satan.

Also, makes me pine for a good troll to come along, one bad thing about this board no trolls.

We've had a couple I believe.  But trust me - there was a time when we constantly had these awful posters.  On Delphi it seemed like there was a constant stream of insanity.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 29, 2008, 01:54:18 pm »

We've had a couple I believe.  But trust me - there was a time when we constantly had these awful posters.  On Delphi it seemed like there was a constant stream of insanity.

Even on the Beehive forums (I didn't join until '05) it seemed like we had at least a halfway decent flounce every week or so, and, of course, Tony was headache-inducingly present with his Atlantean Dolphin Master-inspired "wisdom."

(ETA quotation marks)

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: July 29, 2008, 01:56:11 pm »

Even on the Beehive forums (I didn't join until '05) it seemed like we had at least a halfway decent flounce every week or so, and, of course, Tony was headache-inducingly present with his Atlantean Dolphin Master-inspired "wisdom."

Thats the thing.  I don't believe I've ever witnessed a poster who was out to share wisdom, that wasn't up their own rectal passage and a mixture of fluffy and crazy.

thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 29, 2008, 02:03:55 pm »

Thats the thing.  I don't believe I've ever witnessed a poster who was out to share wisdom, that wasn't up their own rectal passage and a mixture of fluffy and crazy.

Well, they could have been up a bat's rectal cavity, too, because most of the crazy could certainly be defined as "Batshit crazy" Grin

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: July 29, 2008, 02:08:21 pm »

Thou shalt not speak their name least you summon them.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 29, 2008, 02:11:38 pm »

*clicks his heels three times chanting "Tony Steele*

Hey if it worked for Dorthy when she went over the rainbow should work for me, since I stay over the rainbow Tongue

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #25: July 29, 2008, 02:18:55 pm »

And then there are the good threads.  I mean, not good for laughing at, but good because they were genuinely good.  I went off to read the original ADM thread, because I'm not sure I actually had read it before (it was before my time), and got sidetracked looking at other old threads at Delphi.  Including this one:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=CUSTOM7999&msg=12604.1&maxT=9

In which various members of TC conspired, under the direction of Ann (where did Ann get off to, anyway?), to create a quilt as a group wedding present for Randall and Lyric.  Sniffle.  What a great project to have been involved in.

Lyric and Randall recieved the finished product (still a surprise, thanks to their having put the organizational thread on ignore at Ann's request) after the move away from Delphi.  The thread with their reactions is here (warning, 2005 archive, very slow):
http://www.ecauldron.net/ab/messages.php?webtag=CAULDRON&msg=564.1

The pictures of the quilt linked to from that thread even appear to still be in place.  Yay!  "Side 2" is the one with all the quilt blocks, while "side 1" was made from fabric printed with owls and foxes that I think was donated by Sine, IIRC.  (I may have the attribution wrong.  Somebody came up with it out of their fabric stash, though.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: July 29, 2008, 02:29:32 pm »

*clicks his heels three times chanting "Tony Steele*

Hey if it worked for Dorthy when she went over the rainbow should work for me, since I stay over the rainbow Tongue

I was referring to the ADMs.  Steele has been mentioned so much on this forum that it doesn't look like he'll show up.  Plus, the mods would probably ban him from the git-go.

My Spiritual Blog
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #27: July 29, 2008, 02:41:20 pm »

Plus, the mods would probably ban him from the git-go.

I think that's probably a safe bet.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: July 29, 2008, 02:44:10 pm »

I think that's probably a safe bet.

I missed everything Tony Steele related -- is there a way to look at all the posts a person made on Beehive as can be done here?  I want to brush up on this topic.

My Spiritual Blog
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #29: July 29, 2008, 02:53:59 pm »

I missed everything Tony Steele related -- is there a way to look at all the posts a person made on Beehive as can be done here?  I want to brush up on this topic.

If you go to the advanced search (down below all the thread listings, I think) there's a way to run a search by user name (don't forget to set the time to search in to "beginning of time" to get everything).  Try the usernames ANWN (or maybe ANWYNDUR--this is his "real" one but I forget which was his user name and which was his "nick"), OERA LINDA (may need an underscore between words, not sure), and SYRHED.  I may have missed one in there somewhere, but I think that will get you the bulk of Tony and his sock puppets.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)